What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

But it IS a lifestyle change. Going from sitting in front of the TV and eating Dairy Queen 3x a week to taking evening walks and cooking healthy food and actually paying attention to your diet (noun, not verb) while avoiding 1300 calorie desserts you freaking LOVE - takes a considerable change in your actual lifestyle - believe me. And if you go back to your former lifestyle, you gain it back.

Hmm. Related to this, I do hate the term "journey" for reasons others mentioned, but I have 0 issues if someone says "I needed a lifestyle change" or "for me, this is a lifestyle change," for the types of reasons you mentioned. For me, when I first figured out how to cook regularly and fit exercise into my life, that was a lifestyle change somewhat -- not completely, most of my lifestyle remained the same, but somewhat. Back at the beginning of '14 when I got active again, however, I saw it as regaining my active lifestyle, not a change.

What bugs me is when people say "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change" as if that applied to everyone successful. Or "diets fail, lifestyle changes don't" or some such. Because the truth is that not everyone goes from sedentary to active or was eating lots of fast food or not paying attention to nutrition. The main reason I gained (beyond the activity thing, which was a factor) was that I'd stress eat stupid stuff at my office and I'd carelessly not pay attention to portions much, including of foods I don't much care about, like starchy sides. So what I really needed to do was cut out the extra-meal eating at the office and watch portions. It really didn't feel like that much of a change at all, other than learning to deal with stress better. So it's not true that it can't succeed unless it's a lifestyle change.

Good points. FOR ME it's most definitely HAS TO BE a lifestyle change - for the reasons mentioned. I'm somewhat horrified when I think of the amount of calories I was previously putting in my body on a regular basis. And it HAS to be a permanent change. Because I've done it before...and opposite of what you did, I regained my previously inactive/over-indulgent lifestyle...and virtually all the weight I lost before.
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating". There are children literally starving to death in Venezuela. Mothers are picking scraps out of trash cans to keep their babies alive. Meanwhile the developed world is yapping about their "clean eating diet". I'm so sick of hearing about people's first world elitist food snobbery. Just shut it and be happy you have food at all, let alone the choice to decide if it's "clean" or not. I'll just be over here losing weight eating what ever the *kitten* I want and being grateful for the privilege to do so.

Love love love this!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

But it IS a lifestyle change. Going from sitting in front of the TV and eating Dairy Queen 3x a week to taking evening walks and cooking healthy food and actually paying attention to your diet (noun, not verb) while avoiding 1300 calorie desserts you freaking LOVE - takes a considerable change in your actual lifestyle - believe me. And if you go back to your former lifestyle, you gain it back.

Hmm. Related to this, I do hate the term "journey" for reasons others mentioned, but I have 0 issues if someone says "I needed a lifestyle change" or "for me, this is a lifestyle change," for the types of reasons you mentioned. For me, when I first figured out how to cook regularly and fit exercise into my life, that was a lifestyle change somewhat -- not completely, most of my lifestyle remained the same, but somewhat. Back at the beginning of '14 when I got active again, however, I saw it as regaining my active lifestyle, not a change.

What bugs me is when people say "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change" as if that applied to everyone successful. Or "diets fail, lifestyle changes don't" or some such. Because the truth is that not everyone goes from sedentary to active or was eating lots of fast food or not paying attention to nutrition. The main reason I gained (beyond the activity thing, which was a factor) was that I'd stress eat stupid stuff at my office and I'd carelessly not pay attention to portions much, including of foods I don't much care about, like starchy sides. So what I really needed to do was cut out the extra-meal eating at the office and watch portions. It really didn't feel like that much of a change at all, other than learning to deal with stress better. So it's not true that it can't succeed unless it's a lifestyle change.

Good points. FOR ME it's most definitely HAS TO BE a lifestyle change - for the reasons mentioned. I'm somewhat horrified when I think of the amount of calories I was previously putting in my body on a regular basis. And it HAS to be a permanent change. Because I've done it before...and opposite of what you did, I regained my previously inactive/over-indulgent lifestyle...and virtually all the weight I lost before.

Truth.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say ''you aren't on a diet, you are making a lifestyle change"- umm, a diet is just the food that you eat, technically everyone is on a diet.
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me the watch fruit, it will make you fat!

I can only speak for myself but eating fruit did not make me overweight. I am sure that it was more the overindulgence in fast food (sometimes two times a day), evening snacking on chips, chocolate, etc., eating when not hungry, as well as I will start fresh tomorrow so better go on a binge today so might as well eat all the stuff you crave today, etc.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For me the watch fruit, it will make you fat!

I can only speak for myself but eating fruit did not make me overweight. I am sure that it was more the overindulgence in fast food (sometimes two times a day), evening snacking on chips, chocolate, etc., eating when not hungry, as well as I will start fresh tomorrow so better go on a binge today so might as well eat all the stuff you crave today, etc.

I could eat a whole lot of apple's for the calories in a double cheeseburger, large onion rings, and a midnight truffle blizzard.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    :( Sorry you had to deal with that.