What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jouttie wrote: »
    Hi All,

What bothers me is when people tell me, you are so LUCKY to have lost so much weight... Luck doesn't come into it. After being practically immobile for decades due to the excruciating agony of fibromyalgia, I got on some medication which helped with pain relief and I got off my (rather large) backside and started to MOVE after years of inactivity. I thought this would kill me at first, but gradually I was able to do more. I combined this with eating less, cooking practically everything myself (peeling a carrot was agony some years ago), logging everything on MFP, and so far I am doing pretty well. I am proud to announce that I did a 75-km bike ride yesterday with practically no effort at all (OK so it was a flat one yesterday) but a few years ago I couldn't walk to the shop at the end of my street without being in pain.

Luck? I don't think so...

"Good luck" to fellow MFP-ers (joke)

Luck, life's lottery...all defensive measures to avoid personal responsibility. Luck is an excuse used by the envious.

“Things worthwhile generally don’t just happen. Luck is a fact, but should not be a factor. Good luck is what is left over after intelligence and effort have combined at their best. Negligence or indifference are usually reviewed from an unlucky seat. The law of cause and effect and causality both work the same with inexorable exactitudes. Luck is the residue of design.” - Branch Rickey
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mooma29 wrote: »
    Pooch. Used to describe belly overhang from having children via cs or otherwise. I don't know about elsewhere and I know this site is pretty global but In the U.K. A pooch is a dog. I assume they actually mean pouch as in where marsupials keep their offspring. I don't know why I'm not usually a spelling stickler but pooch really really gets to me

LOL yup, we call it a pooch here in the Southern US. I call it "the kids", because they are the primary reason I have it. I BLAME THEM. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's southern. I'd always been puzzled by that one too, and assumed it was intended to be paunch.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, it's southern. I'd always been puzzled by that one too, and assumed it was intended to be paunch.

Most Southerners can't spell that well. SC is at the bottom of the ranking for education, after all. Because it pooches out over the top of your pants.

(Man, I am probably going to catch some crap for that LOL)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Dr oz (or any other snake oil salesman) said.......

Or the worst of them all... "David Wolfe said..."
    I die a little every time.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I squint at "detox" in reference to a food or food combo. I'm always tempted to say that I'm just going to enjoy my detox Snickers bar, instead.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Seriously winds me up.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    This isn't really a specific phrase, but I hate when someone joins an internet forum, spends zero time reading old posts to understand the culture of the place, than asks some dumb question that would have been answered in 5 minutes of reading. Ad infinitum.

So much this!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    This isn't really a specific phrase, but I hate when someone joins an internet forum, spends zero time reading old posts to understand the culture of the place, than asks some dumb question that would have been answered in 5 minutes of reading. Ad infinitum.

Yes, or doesn't take the time to understand the purpose of each forum and posts a hot question in the debate section. Then flounces because mean people.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. WOE. Anyone using words that indicate they have an aversion to the word "diet" which literally means "the food you eat" and isn't actually supposed to have any temporal indication about the amount you eat.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    I'm tired of the plethora of "food is evil and the government is trying to kill you with it" documentaries. Almost every week another one of my relatives is calling me about how they found "The Solution" after watching another one of these movies. Usually involving raw veganism or juicing. These things usually present a bunch of hype and an oversimplified solution to a complex problem.

Speaking as a former government employee. The government is not competent enough to pull off simple plans, let alone these massive conspiracies.

Speaking as someone who has worked on research projects that try to match data across government databases? SO MUCH THIS. SO MUCH. There is no overarching database that allows the government to put together everything on you. It took us TWO YEARS to even match two databases collected by the same agency well enough to run any stats on it.

BY THE SAME TOKEN: There is no "conspiracy" to hide inexpensive or free treatments for cancer, diabetes, etc from "the people." IF THERE WAS A CHEAP EFFECTIVE CANCER TREATMENT? EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT BECAUSE IT WORKED. "They" are not "hiding it from you so they can sell their expensive 'pHARMa' to you. SERIOUSLY.

I work in pharma now and find this especially insulting to the researchers dedicating their lives to finding solutions. My wife is a molecular biologist and has identified monoclonal antibodies with specific affinity for pancreatic cancer cells. Does anyone really think that we have identified cures and hiding these from the public?

Simply looking at the logistics this would involve a massive conspiracy with hundreds of thousands of people knowing about this and remaining silent. Never leaking to media, never leaking to their significant others, never leaking to another person at a bar....

Much of the price of drugs is due to government regulations and lack of competition (also due to government and lack of tort reform). It would be very simple for a competitor to develop a product that does the same thing as Epipen, but try getting it approved through the regulatory channels ~90 Million USD for medical device, ~2.6 Billion USD.

Look.

They faked the moon landing, including having the Russians who the Americans were racing to the moon being in on the faking of it, surely they can get together and hide the cure for cancer....

The one thing that does surprise me, from some of the rants on the Daily show a few years back. Even though the US gov't could not get their *kitten* together to get veterans records digitized and usable, the NSA could build a huge friggen infrastructure for recording cell phone conversations etc.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    not MFP specific, but it totally irks me when people post about "females" - especially if it's followed by some sweeping generalization. kind of related: when people post threads "just for the guys" or "women only" they know that it's basically click bait cryptonite for the excluded gender, right? :D

Agree...we should discriminate over things that really matter...like height.

None under 6' 4" shall respond.

i have nothing to say to that.

giphy.gif

• marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Ok serious question - what is wrong with transformation or journey?

Those are terms that I use for myself. Journey particularly. It works for me.