What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's not a term or phrase but it annoys me when people don't "believe" in calorie counting or CICO or they think weight loss is specific to certain foods. I had a coworker at my last job who had gained a bunch of weight over the years and was convinced it was solely because of the 2 pieces of bacon she was eating for breakfast every morning. I'm like, 2 pieces of bacon only has like 40 calories. Also when people think you need to eat breakfast to lose weight, or eat many small meals a day, or whatever nonsense.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    "Tummy"

Ugh. What are we, three years old?

Yessss...this bothers me so much, but I always refrain from saying anything. We are adults...don't tell me you have "tummy trouble".
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    It's not a term or phrase but it annoys me when people don't "believe" in calorie counting or CICO or they think weight loss is specific to certain foods. I had a coworker at my last job who had gained a bunch of weight over the years and was convinced it was solely because of the 2 pieces of bacon she was eating for breakfast every morning. I'm like, 2 pieces of bacon only has like 40 calories. Also when people think you need to eat breakfast to lose weight, or eat many small meals a day, or whatever nonsense.

what kind of bacon are you eating where two pieces are 40 calories????????
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    'cheat days'. Really, if you feel that you have to cheat from your diet, why did you pick that diet in the first place? A healthy diet can incorporate higher calorie days... there's nothing to cheat about.

'how to lose belly fat in x days'. No. Just no.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    People don't think that it might be a performance/training thing, because most aren't using a Fitbit or similar for that purpose. I think it would be nicer if they used the training heart rate zone descriptors instead: Recovery (Zone 1), Endurance (Zone 2), Stamina (Zone 3), Economy (Zone 4), Speed (Zone 5). Yes, still not the most clear and obvious, but at least it's linked to performance and not weight loss.

BTW - have you ever tested for your max HR? You may be someone for whom 220-age is really off on the high end (predicted max HR is too high) and the estimated zones are completely wrong for you.

I test the other way (and also have a low resting HR). For me, the estimated zones based on my age are way too low. If I used those, I'd be fluctuating between zones 2 and 3 strolling around the mall.

I have a heart arrhythmia - I skip beats - and am on 3 - that's right - 3 blood pressure meds. The arrhythmia isn't noticeable to me, but it gives nurses quite a start when they try to take my pulse. I never tell them in advance, just to watch their faces. :smiley: It's not dangerous. I had a stress test a few years ago and the cardiologist was please to see it actually goes away with exercise - it's the ones that get worse that you have to watch. But sometimes it takes some serious effort to raise it.

Basically, I think it makes the HR monitor a bit useless.

I've never had it tested...but it kind of freaks me out to think of raising it to the max...so I'm not sure I'd ever want to. At least not until I'm more fit than I am now.

Ah, never mind, then. And I'd definitely forget about training to HR zones.

My dad's on a blood pressure medication that keeps his heart rate artificially low (to protect his kidney, not for cardiac-related issues). He's been warned about doing significant effort because his heart can't compensate quickly enough and he'll get dizzy, weak, and possibly pass out. Not a positive thing while exercising.
  • TheWickedPixie
    TheWickedPixie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the word... CAN'T
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    "Starvation mode"

Also when people claim cardio is bad for aesthetics so you should be doing weight lifting instead.

Cardio is bad for aesthetics... compare a marathoner to a judoka or gymnast

Not to pick on you @stanmann571, I agree that resistance training is important, but here is what irritates me about MFP at times- people stating their opinions like they are hard and fast facts. Aesthetics are highly subjective don't you think? In my opinion cardio isn't bad for aesthetics anymore than gymnastics is- they just develop different physiques.

Personally I'd rather look like Shalane Flanagan (marathon runner) than Jordyn Wieber (gymnast). I also think Hal Koerner (ultra runner) looks a far sight better than Asley Gonsalez (judoka). Not because either can be empirically proven to be better looking than the other, they are all incredibly fit people, but because Flanagan and Koerner are my preferred aesthetic for myself. If I wanted to look like Wieber or Misty Copeland or whatever then yeah, high volume long distance running would be counter-productive to that goal, but I don't. If someone else would rather look like them they aren't more or less right in their preferences than I am.

People should train for the physiques they want to attain. I'm a runner, I identify with runner aesthetic and therefore am training for that aesthetic. You want to look like a gymnast or a dancer then train like one. But no one fitness or physique goal is superior to all the others (to my mind anyway). Much like how no one way of eating is the one "to rule them all" ;)

Going to have to disagree.

If your "aesthetic" is indistinguishable from a famine victim or drug addict. It's not attractive. By definition. It may be desirable for improved performance, but it's not aesthetically desirable.

Oh. Wow, just wow. How horrible.

Have you seen what @JessicaMcB looks like? Hint: nothing like the the hugely disgusting judgmental shite you wrote.

I agree that aesthetics are personal opinions, but he didn't say that she looked like that description, he just said that it's unattractive (apparently by definition, whatever that's supposed to mean) but I don't think he was saying that was what she looks like.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

what kind of bacon are you eating where two pieces are 40 calories????????

Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon is ~60 for 2 cooked slices . . . and worth every single one of them!!! I'm not even mad that I burned my tounge on a piece when I heated up my Bacon and Egg English Muffin this morning, lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

But it IS a lifestyle change. Going from sitting in front of the TV and eating Dairy Queen 3x a week to taking evening walks and cooking healthy food and actually paying attention to your diet (noun, not verb) while avoiding 1300 calorie desserts you freaking LOVE - takes a considerable change in your actual lifestyle - believe me. And if you go back to your former lifestyle, you gain it back.

I agree. I have been smh with may of the responses....especially on a fitness message board where we should be more forgiving and understanding. But, I'm taking it as people venting.

Hey St. Louis! You'll likely understand this - I tried Ted Drewes for the first time last week. Husband brought home two quarts. We're weighing it out into 1/2 cup servings when we eat it. Four months ago, that would have lasted maybe 4 days.

To me, stuff like that definitely qualifies as a lifestyle change. LOL!

I do get the venting about stuff though. I'm back on MFP after dumping all my efforts awhile back. I'm already tired of some of the same stuff being posted time and time again.

Hey You.....now did he get Ted Drewes from the actual shop or did he get it out of the store? The one and only reason I tried Ted Drewes was because the lines were always soooooooooooo long. One day I stopped there just to see what all the hype was about - been hooked ever since... I try my best to stay far away from there....or go to treat myself!

I use all the words that people are pissed at as well - journey, lifestyle, etc. etc. etc., because those are the affirmations that I have to speak to myself and write down and give power to vs the other negative words that I used to give power to. It's most def. a lifestyle change/shift for me.

Despite the lines, despite the obstacles, despite the riots....let humanity and all semblance of society burn around me....Ted Drewes is worth any wait.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    "Starvation mode"

Also when people claim cardio is bad for aesthetics so you should be doing weight lifting instead.

Not to pick on you @stanmann571, I agree that resistance training is important, but here is what irritates me about MFP at times- people stating their opinions like they are hard and fast facts. Aesthetics are highly subjective don't you think? In my opinion cardio isn't bad for aesthetics anymore than gymnastics is- they just develop different physiques.

Personally I'd rather look like Shalane Flanagan (marathon runner) than Jordyn Wieber (gymnast). I also think Hal Koerner (ultra runner) looks a far sight better than Asley Gonsalez (judoka). Not because either can be empirically proven to be better looking than the other, they are all incredibly fit people, but because Flanagan and Koerner are my preferred aesthetic for myself. If I wanted to look like Wieber or Misty Copeland or whatever then yeah, high volume long distance running would be counter-productive to that goal, but I don't. If someone else would rather look like them they aren't more or less right in their preferences than I am.

People should train for the physiques they want to attain. I'm a runner, I identify with runner aesthetic and therefore am training for that aesthetic. You want to look like a gymnast or a dancer then train like one. But no one fitness or physique goal is superior to all the others (to my mind anyway). Much like how no one way of eating is the one "to rule them all" ;)

If your "aesthetic" is indistinguishable from a famine victim or drug addict. It's not attractive. By definition. It may be desirable for improved performance, but it's not aesthetically desirable.

How come that's what's on the cover of every magazine then?

Because fashion photographers are drug addicts?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    There is one missing point in this whole marathoner vs gymnast aesthetic: it's not the cardio that makes marathoners thin and lean, it's that thinness and leanness results in better time and excessive muscle mass especially in the upper half means slower time. Cardio does not lead to that lean look, purposely trying to achieve that lean look leads to it.

I like the "traditional belly dancer" aesthetic:
    Belly dancing will not cause me to have that soft looking belly and higher than average body fat, not getting too lean would.

Honestly when I said dancers I meant more in line with the Misty Copelands of the world than belly dancers, etc. but that is pretty myopic on my part given that the lady pictured is obviously just as much a dancer. Thanks for pointing that out @amusedmonkey , there would definitely be aesthetics that hard training would actually be counterproductive to!

I would argue that purposeful cardio training can contribute to leaning out just from a personal standpoint (me and my trail running crew were talking about this last week but again, all n=1 accounts), but I get what you're saying.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "Starvation mode"

The look on the cover of "every magazine" is unachievable by design. It's intended to make women feel bad about their bodies so that they'll buy the products advertised in the magazine so that the magazine makes money. The reason it's unachievable is that it's photoshopped.

For the record, the distance runner (who looks fine, and I see no reason a person shouldn't aspire to that aesthetic if it's realistic for their particular genetic makeup) is *not* what's on the cover of magazines. Not enough boobs, and her waist is actually proportional to the rest of her body.

My point was only that many people find waifs attractive. It is ridiculous to say that any one aesthetic is generally appealing (or not).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode"

The look on the cover of "every magazine" is unachievable by design. It's intended to make women feel bad about their bodies so that they'll buy the products advertised in the magazine so that the magazine makes money. The reason it's unachievable is that it's photoshopped.

For the record, the distance runner (who looks fine, and I see no reason a person shouldn't aspire to that aesthetic if it's realistic for their particular genetic makeup) is *not* what's on the cover of magazines. Not enough boobs, and her waist is actually proportional to the rest of her body.

My point was only that many people find waifs attractive. It is ridiculous to say that any one aesthetic is generally appealing (or not).

With that, I wholeheartedly agree!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    There is one missing point in this whole marathoner vs gymnast aesthetic: it's not the cardio that makes marathoners thin and lean, it's that thinness and leanness result in better time, and excessive muscle mass (especially in the upper half) means slower time. Cardio does not lead to that lean look, purposely trying to achieve that lean look leads to it. I don't think it's unattractive, but obviously you do, but the point stands: it's not the cardio it's the goal.

I like the "traditional belly dancer" aesthetic:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Belly dancing will not cause me to have that soft looking belly and higher than average body fat (there are plenty of lean belly dancers), not getting too lean would.

ETA: swimmers, cyclers, and plenty of other athletes do a lot of cardio and they don't look like marathoners.

Rowers do a bit (heh) of cardio, too. Not very much gaunt/emaciated happening here.

morecore5.jpg

(It's Meghan Musnicki, two-time Olympic gold medalist. I suspect you'd find few gaunt/emaciated physiques among XC skiers, either. It's not the cardio per se.)