What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "Humans weren't made to eat that stuff". Why stop with caveman food? Humans evolved from bacteria; let's just use photosynthesis and really get back to our "natural state"!

Hey! Didn't I see that Photosynthesis Diet on Dr. Oz?!;)
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was annoyed with lots of terms before that I use often now :) One of terms is "healthy meal"...I am 100% aware that neither do I nor scientific community know what exactly is a healthy meal..but, sometimes it's just easier to write a healthy meal, then to write non-proven to be pretty unhealthy, highly processed, low fiber, high caloric meal.
    I was also annoyed with the term "journey" that I use often now because some journey metaphors really fit nicely into all this loosing weight thing.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MarissaCVT wrote: »
    This may not fit, but I am really tired of hearing people I work with say "Look at you eating all healthy."

I think a vein popped out of my forehead when I read this.This is a huge irritation for me too, and my sisters say this bs to me a lot.
    I can never win. When I eat something high in calories, people ask me how I manage to stay slim, but when I say no to offers of food sometimes or have some protein and greens, I get the good ol' "Wow. What healthy eating! It's no wonder you're so skinny." And no, I don't think skinny is a compliment. I'll accept slim, slender, and strong.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    This may not fit, but I am really tired of hearing people I work with say "Look at you eating all healthy."

I think a vein popped out of my forehead when I read this.This is a huge irritation for me too, and my sisters say this bs to me a lot.
    I can never win. When I eat something high in calories, people ask me how I manage to stay slim, but when I say no to offers of food sometimes or have some protein and greens, I get the good ol' "Wow. What healthy eating! It's no wonder you're so skinny." And no, I don't think skinny is a compliment. I'll accept slim, slender, and strong.

Ugh, I've totally said this to people before. Sorry all past people I've said this to!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    All the above, but more than anything, when people say "I wish I could lose weight" - or "How do you stay slim when you're always eating". When I explain HOW I lose weight and keep it off (eat less, move more, tracking everything I eat) the excuses start coming "I don't have time, I'm not technological, I had measles when I was 3....) (But not the last one often!0

Wait! So I can use having had the measles as an excuse?? Sweet!! jk lol
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »

Or, someone saying, "Are you on a diet?" because I'm eating healthy, or don't eat certain things. Ugh.

Yes, me too. I have celiac disease and have to avoid any office treats that aren't packaged and labeled "gluten free", and I find myself turning down bagels or pizza by saying "I have food allergies" rather than leaving it at "No thanks", because somewhere in the irrational back of my head I don't want people thinking I'm on a diet because it's rude.

I feel like it's becoming more and more socially unacceptable to diet in public, and wonder if this is related to the population in general getting larger. I just started thinking about this recently.

edited for clarity

Hmm.... I think there could be something to that theory. I also think those of us who make a concerted effort to take care of ourselves (watch our weight, work out, eat healthier) make those who don't feel guilty. Not because we try to, but just by simply doing what we do. Know what I mean?

Yup - I completely agree.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "Stomach" instead of abs, core muscles, torso, or any other word to describe this bodily region! I can't help but think of an actual stomach organ.
    Btw this also applies to the occasions when someone says "stomach" instead of "uterus" or "belly" for a pregnant woman.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

ugh yeah. My family sometimes makes me feel bad about eating healthy around them like it takes away their joy.