What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Reboot, jumpstart.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The baby cow thing is one of the top ones for me, for sure. Or "we weren't MEANT to drink milk."

They all read Skinny *kitten*.

c3pjqjwi88sk.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    The baby cow thing is one of the top ones for me, for sure. Or "we weren't MEANT to drink milk."

Always sets my teeth on edge. I'm pretty sure I'm not "meant" to be doing a lot of things that I'm doing right now, but it's hardly a compelling argument.

Definitely unpopular in certain circles, but along these lines, I wish all naturalistic fallacies would die a fiery death.

Something is not necessarily bad because humans were/are involved in some way. Something is not necessarily good because it arose without human influence.

Yeah, you have to evaluate things on their actual impact, not whether or not they are "natural" or not.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Always sets my teeth on edge. I'm pretty sure I'm not "meant" to be doing a lot of things that I'm doing right now, but it's hardly a compelling argument.

Definitely unpopular in certain circles, but along these lines, I wish all naturalistic fallacies would die a fiery death.

Something is not necessarily bad because humans were/are involved in some way. Something is not necessarily good because it arose without human influence.

Yep, deadly nightshade is natural.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

They all read Skinny *kitten*.

c3pjqjwi88sk.jpg

Ah yes, 'Soda is liquid Satan'. Such an objective read. NOT! I read the first couple of paragraphs of that book garbage and my blood pressure went through the roof.

Thankfully I didn't make it to Chapter 4, "The Dead, Rotting Decomposing Flesh Diet" because I probably would have killed someone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    It's not a term or phrase but it annoys me when people don't "believe" in calorie counting or CICO or they think weight loss is specific to certain foods. I had a coworker at my last job who had gained a bunch of weight over the years and was convinced it was solely because of the 2 pieces of bacon she was eating for breakfast every morning. I'm like, 2 pieces of bacon only has like 40 calories. Also when people think you need to eat breakfast to lose weight, or eat many small meals a day, or whatever nonsense.

what kind of bacon are you eating where two pieces are 40 calories????????

Aldi center cut bacon... 2 slices 47 calories. Lol. What kind of bacon are you eating?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP...."journey".
    You're not going anywhere....stop making it more grandiose than it is.

The only thing that bothers me is I read that I want loose weight, but then I think maybe they really do want to loose it. I am sure I have used the phrase weight loss journey a time or two. For me, losing 200 lbs and completely changing my life has been and continues to be a journey. In that regard, it is kinda grandiose. To each their own.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fat burning zone is a good one. I seriously had someone tell me that it was useless to run or do other cardio if your heart rate was too high, as you wouldn't burn fat.

It's similar to people thinking they must exercise fasted or it's not doing any good, which is another weird claim I've run into.

To be fair, at least they're only misunderstanding rather than spewing nonsense. Higher intensity cardio DOES burn less calories from fat specifically, but it still burns fat (and creates the afterburn continuing after exercise is completed, which the "fat burn zone" never will).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah, fat burning zone is a good one. I seriously had someone tell me that it was useless to run or do other cardio if your heart rate was too high, as you wouldn't burn fat.

It's similar to people thinking they must exercise fasted or it's not doing any good, which is another weird claim I've run into.

To be fair, at least they're only misunderstanding rather than spewing nonsense. Higher intensity cardio DOES burn less calories from fat specifically, but it still burns fat (and creates the afterburn continuing after exercise is completed, which the "fat burn zone" never will).

Technically, it still burns more calories of fat; it's just that a lower percentage of the calories burned come from fat. (Lower percentage of a bigger total can still be a bigger number.) So, it sucks that the media misrepresents it.