Halo Top...how the heck do they do it???

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    @domeofstars I found out the delay is due to halotop repackaging for our Australian stores, once that happens it should be a steady flow again.

I bought the last 3 tubs of the chocolate flavour from my store yesterday. Nearly $34 for 3 tiny tubs of ice cream, it's flippan highway robbery!! :rage:

Now I'm on a mission to get them to bring more flavours in, other than the plain/boring ones available now. I so desperately want to try the peanut butter cup.

I just can't imagine. I usually buy it on sale for about $5.40 Australian (converted from US dollars) and just cannot begin to imagine that being the only price available Eek.

There's no other comparable product here, it seems they can charge what they want! I'd imagine the shipping cost plays a big part.. maybe.

Understandable. But I'm probably a little biased too because I'm one of those weird mythical women that when offered ice cream or steak will grab the steak everytime. Hehe. I can live without ice cream if I have to. :wink:
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    kimie54 wrote: »
    Too much cholesterol for me.

40 mg per serving.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited May 2017
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I eat a pint like every night. Definitely doesn't loosen anything up. Except my bank account. I have issues.

Im glad I'm not alone! I get 3-4 pints each week at the grocery store... but luckily it doesn't mess with my digestive system one bit.

Question for those of you who have had the new slightly higher calorie halo top - does it taste different to you?? I was eating my beloved seasalt caramel the other night, and it had a slight "cakey" taste to it, reminiscent of the birthday cake flavor (which I don't like). I looked down at the pint and it had 320 on the front instead of the 200-something. Did they actually add more calories and make it less tasty? Wtf?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I eat a pint like every night. Definitely doesn't loosen anything up. Except my bank account. I have issues.

Im glad I'm not alone! I get 3-4 pints each week at the grocery store... but luckily it doesn't mess with my digestive system one bit.

Question for those of you who have had the new slightly higher calorie halo top - does it taste different to you?? I was eating my beloved seasalt caramel the other night, and it had a slight "cakey" taste to it, reminiscent of the birthday cake flavor (which I don't like). I looked down at the pint and it had 320 on the front instead of the 200-something. Did they actually add more calories and make it less tasty? Wtf?

The new chocolate tasted exactly the same to me as the old chocolate.

I tried the new sea salt caramel and it still tasted artificial to me, new version or not, lol.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    @Christine_72 well i am sitting here eating halo top ice cream for the first time. Birthday Cake flavour was the only one they had left. Its pretty nice! Don't know if i will make it a regular purchase though considering one tub is $10! But I will still try each flavour out of curiousity once.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    @Christine_72 well i am sitting here eating halo top ice cream for the first time. Birthday Cake flavour was the only one they had left. Its pretty nice! Don't know if i will make it a regular purchase though considering one tub is $10! But I will still try each flavour out of curiousity once.

And I thought mine for $4.50 was high!
    I just moved to an area that has a H-E-B and they had them on sale buy one get one free! :O
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    i am going to try a pint of mint chocolate that i got some time soon and i am really hoping its better than artic zero, when i ate it i feel like throwing up and the last time i ate it, i ate the whole pint and it was the worst.. just hoping halo top does not give me the same feeling and taste
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    I have never heard of halo top until this discussion, I have tried arctic zero and didn't care for it at all, but it is pretty nutritious considering the sugar and protein content. What kind of nutrition content does halo top have?

it taste wayyyyyyy better then arctic zero
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Thanks for the update :smile: I didnt think much of the Birthday Cake flavour, it tasted like plain vanilla ice cream to me, a tad boring. I'm sticking with chocolate until they bring the peanut butter cup flavour here, hopefully one day..
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Yes, Halo Top is world's better than Arctic Zero. However, for every flavor (except for the salted caramel) I actually like Enlightened's ice cream WAY more than Halo Top! I'm shocked they aren't as popular, especially their birthday cake and cold brew flavors, oh my... To die for! Way more mix ins though overall!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    hgycta wrote: »
    Yes, Halo Top is world's better than Arctic Zero. However, for every flavor (except for the salted caramel) I actually like Enlightened's ice cream WAY more than Halo Top! I'm shocked they aren't as popular, especially their birthday cake and cold brew flavors, oh my... To die for! Way more mix ins though overall!

Lol we have the same exact taste buds! I agreed with you on the quest hero bars (vanilla caramel being the best) along with your other reviews on the new foods thread and completely agree that halo tops salted caramel is better than enlighteneds. Enlighteneds bday cake is definitely amazing. Love the strawberry cheesecake as well but haven't tried cold brew yet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Last night's dessert was Halo Top chocolate with a half cup of frozen dark cherries mixed in (for a mere 60 additional calories). Tasted like Black Forest cake, don't know why I haven't tried that before!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited June 2017

Lol we have the same exact taste buds! I agreed with you on the quest hero bars (vanilla caramel being the best) along with your other reviews on the new foods thread and completely agree that halo tops salted caramel is better than enlighteneds. Enlighteneds bday cake is definitely amazing. Love the strawberry cheesecake as well but haven't tried cold brew yet.

I guess we're both sugar addicts, because the birthday cake Enlightened is definitely like the icing on a birthday cake whereas Halo Top's is more subtle like the actual cake itself - way less exciting ;) Do you live near a Chick-fil-A or Arby's? Personally, I think Enlightened's Cold Brew tastes just like Chick-fil-A's Frosted Coffee! However, I bought a pint for my brother and father since they also love coffee ice cream, and they said it tasted like Arby's Jamocha Shake (which I've never tried)!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member

Agree. It's a packaging thing... Halo Top's is much more Insta worthy.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    I got the smores one it was really good but tasted a bit more like a maple cookie
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

When I discovered Enlightened 2 years ago, it just tasted very artificial to me, so I kinda gave up on it... I was pleasantly surprised when I recently tried them again though. Mostly though, Halo Top has less calories overall (the Enlightened plain pints like Snickerdoodle taste like dirt though).

The HT pints I opened lately have been a disappointment though - there's a huge gap between the ice cream and the container on the sides, and yeah, the texture is VERY icy, so there's a very small window between 'ice cream' consistency and 'soupy mess' when you let it melt.
  • Keldug
    Keldug Posts: 23 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

When I discovered Enlightened 2 years ago, it just tasted very artificial to me, so I kinda gave up on it... I was pleasantly surprised when I recently tried them again though. Mostly though, Halo Top has less calories overall (the Enlightened plain pints like Snickerdoodle taste like dirt though).

The HT pints I opened lately have been a disappointment though - there's a huge gap between the ice cream and the container on the sides, and yeah, the texture is VERY icy, so there's a very small window between 'ice cream' consistency and 'soupy mess' when you let it melt.

I emailed them about that,you should too.If you look at the reviews on their FB page it has several people mentioning that.Squeaky wheel gets the grease!
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    I need to try this stuff
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    They should get their *kitten* together and come up to Canada. We have nothing that even comes close to it. I will be attempting to make my own version of this during this weekend. Hope I can make it work.

It makes no sense that we get it at the arrsse end of the world in Australia, but you cant get it in Canada. There's been a shortage here lately because they've changed the labeling to be in line with Australian label laws or some such thing. I haven't seen seen the new ones yet, so have no idea what it is they've changed.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2017
    ive tried probably most of the flavors and haven't found one didn't like, they're great... but i even like most arctic zero offerings.