What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't seen this one yet, so here's one of my oddities. I've read most of my other one's in here to one degree or another (smarties must be eaten in colour pairs chewed one on each side of the mouth and then the oddballs are eaten last with their closest related colour, that's a little different from the previously mentioned small candies in two). The one I haven't seen in here (perhaps I missed it, or I am just weird), is that I eat the edges of certain foods first, like sandwiches and burgers. That gets rid of the crusts or the additional bun bites first, leaving just the middle juicy bites for the last.

I don't mind syrup running off my pancakes or French toast onto my eggs. Maple syrup eggs are a delightful treat, when it happens (I usually eat my pancakes or French toast with peanut butter and jam though). I do usually eat things one at a time though. I have no excuses/rationale for it though.

I do this and of course I have to eat the pizza crust first.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't seen this one yet, so here's one of my oddities. I've read most of my other one's in here to one degree or another (smarties must be eaten in colour pairs chewed one on each side of the mouth and then the oddballs are eaten last with their closest related colour, that's a little different from the previously mentioned small candies in two). .

Oh gosh, busted again. I eat the smarties that way. I eat skittles two at a time and they have to be the same color. And with M&M's i have to color coordinate, or eat them singularly.

I never realized I had so many food quirks.

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I know someone who always falls for whatever internet woo their friends forward to them. Whenever they see one of those clickbait lists ("10 foods that fight cancer! You won't believe what's #4!"), they decide that they can only eat those foods. That usually lasts about a week. Currently they're putting turmeric on everything apparently because it's the latest cure-all superfood.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wow, my parents sure got lucky with me. I wasn't fussy at all. Other than meat I ate most things (which wasn't a problem for my parents because I just calmly picked off any meat that made its way into my dish). I had no problems at all trying new things and never complained about food. Even that aversion to meat did not last forever, in my late teens I started eating specific kinds of meat prepared in very specific ways.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    Alright, here it goes!
    For burritos, especially the microwave kind, I have to eat the middle part first and then eat the tortilla.
    I hate mayo, because I feel like it tastes like rotten milk, and the texture coats my mouth.
    Foods shouldn't touch at all, and if it does then I won't eat the contaminated bits.
    For pizza I have to dab off the oil with a napkin, then I proceed to eat all the toppings first then all the bread saving the crust for last.
    When I'm eating a full meal I will eat the vegetables first, then the meat, then whatever starch.
    Sweetened cream cheese is gross, I won't eat any kind but plain.
    Cheese cake is disgusting, it tastes like rotten milk, and has a horrible aftertaste.
    For any colored candies I have to eat until they all have the same amount from the darkest to the lightest ones. Then eat one from each color going from dark to light and repeating until all done.
    I think that's all!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I've known a couple of people who were really lazy about cooking. They would buy whatever was on sale and eat it, and nothing else, for several days. i.e. English muffins and snickers bars = Snickermuffins - for 12 meals straight. Or a bag of tomatoes or potatoes that were eaten for a week. Or macaroni and cheese with bologna - every single meal for a week. I always thought I wasn't a picky eater, but I do need variety.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    A very informed and well knowledged gentlemen on our senior staff will not eat any macros together. He completely separates any and all carbs, proteins, fats and does not drink with meals. This diet goes back to the 1800s and repeatedly debunked. He knows all this, but has convinced himself that eating this way has helped him.

Even he admits how strange this is and has acknowledge the placebo effect.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    A very informed and well knowledged gentlemen on our senior staff will not eat any macros together. He completely separates any and all carbs, proteins, fats and does not drink with meals. This diet goes back to the 1800s and repeatedly debunked. He knows all this, but has convinced himself that eating this way has helped him.

He eats each macro separately at the same meal or each meal has it's own macro? How does he manage that? How do you have fats as a completely separate component of food, pure fats being things like butter or oil, etc. Does he just drink them?
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used not to eat "mixed" foods like pasta and cheese, it needed to be completely separate or I would not eat it. I hated russian salad, and still do to this day, never liked mayo and would't touch anything if it had mayo on top of it. But on the other hand I think cooked chicken tastes better when unsalted and unseasoned, same with fish. I could eat grilled fish all day long with no seasonings (most of ppl I know find this weird)
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When I was little, I would eat Shredded Wheat cereal mixed with instant mashed potatoes. Yeah. I don't know either.

My mom has told me that I used to eat onions like they were apples. I don't remember that and I hate raw onions, so I can't imagine.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My college roommate wanted to lose weight and decided to skip breakfast, eat a 100-calorie yogurt for lunch, then at dinner eat a salad without salad dressing. Then she eliminated the salad because she was afraid of "packing on the pounds." At the same time, she started a running program. She did drop weight, but then found she was having trouble concentrating on her studies. But she wouldn't change her eating habits. After three weeks of this, I phoned her sister and we asked the Resident Aide at her dorm to check in with her. She kept up the running but began eating food again.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Remembered one more thing that my friends consider weird. I'll have alcohol in desserts and liqueur chocolates just fine, but I rarely drink it, and when I do it's in very small amounts. Imagine someone pouring less than 1/4 cup of beer at a party? That's me. I'll drink "several cups" of alcohol that barely add up to one serving. I LOVE Bloody Mary, but I doubt you can even call it that because my idea of one is 5-8 grams of vodka per cup. I get plenty of banter over this.

That's me too.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    My dad when I was growing up. Supper wasn't supper unless there was a russet potato involved. Mashed, baked, fried. Didn't matter, so long as it was there.

Rice, sweet potato, or some other starchy vegetable, along with a protein and some other vegetable? Not supper! I can remember him getting actually angry because supper comes with a potato by god! Then demanding to know where were the potatoes?!?!

He's chilled out a bit now, but most evening meals still have a potato dish involved.

My dad was like this, but it was bread. My mom was of the sort to always include a starch- but it might be rice, pasta, or potatoes. But my dad always wanted bread. I remember my mom throwing a bag of sandwich bread on his plate once when he complained.

He has since realized how many calories it adds and is okay without bread at meals.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    This isnt that weird but if im drinking something from a can (sparkling water, diet soda, etc) I have to pour it into a cup, Im always afraid there will be something in the can, and if its in the can I wont see it until the end.

One of my grandmas wouldn't drink out of a can, but she just found it awkward.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Balancing the humors.

My grandmother was raised like that and as her esophagus got weaker with age the no drinking with meals caused an abscess. (She recovered, but still wouldn't drink with meals.)
  • monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this is me. i have to use separate bowls for some foods so they don't get on my other foods. if a pea gets into my macaroni, i have to get a new plate. i also have to use a new fork if i get seconds.

I LOVE mac & cheese and Peas together! <3
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll throw my quirk out there.

I do not eat the pointy ends of french fries. If a fry has one pointy end and one square/rounder end I'll hold it at the pointy end and eat down to the point. If the fry has two pointy sides I'll break one point off and then proceed as above :D By the time I'm done an order of fries there's always a pile of pointy french fry ends in my plate...which my husband scoops up and eats because he hates waste lol.

My brother grew up on ketchup sandwiches...and my grandpa started putting peanut butter on his green beans, he managed to get my nanny to eat them that way too...but the rest of us are holding out :#