What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'll call myself out... not a diet, but weird quirk..

I've always put grapefruit juice in my cold cereal(cheerios/flakes).. or eaten it dry. I can't stand the mouthfeel of milk..except with grape nuts.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who puts so many lemons in her diet coke, there is almost no room for the soda.

With cupcakes, I tear the bottom half of the cake off and throw it away. It significantly changes the frosting to cake ratio, as well as saves a few calories. Win-Win.

Funny, I was at a restaurant the other day and an older gentleman sat at the table right next to me. The waiter brought water. The gentleman asked "can I have a bunch of lemons with this?" So the waiter came back with a saucer with like 3 slices of lemon. The gentleman said "I need more than just that, bring me as many as you can." The waiter came back with a salad plate of lemon wedges. The man proceeded to then eat them like orange slices.

I often scrape frosting off of my cupcakes, not that I've eaten cupcakes for a long time now. I like more cake, less frosting and it seems to me that the trend lately is to put a huge tower of frosting on top.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I have a friend who puts so many lemons in her diet coke, there is almost no room for the soda.

With cupcakes, I tear the bottom half of the cake off and throw it away. It significantly changes the frosting to cake ratio, as well as saves a few calories. Win-Win.

Funny, I was at a restaurant the other day and an older gentleman sat at the table right next to me. The waiter brought water. The gentleman asked "can I have a bunch of lemons with this?" So the waiter came back with a saucer with like 3 slices of lemon. The gentleman said "I need more than just that, bring me as many as you can." The waiter came back with a salad plate of lemon wedges. The man proceeded to then eat them like orange slices.

I often scrape frosting off of my cupcakes, not that I've eaten cupcakes for a long time now. I like more cake, less frosting and it seems to me that the trend lately is to put a huge tower of frosting on top.

i have known two separate people in my life who do this! each time i would go to a restaurant with them, they'd ask for a huge plate of lemons to eat until their meal came. one friend squeezes out all of the juice in her water, salts it, peels off the rind, and then eats it. i don't remember if the other one salted hers, but she would eat the whole thing, rind included! i have tried it (salted and sans rind) and it's honestly not too bad, but definitely nothing that became a habit.

each time there is leftover cornbread in my house, my dad and i will stick a slice in a glass and pour milk on it. it's an east texas thing my dad picked up and i am the only family member who carries it on. everyone i tell this to thinks it's absolutely gross (even native texans) but it's delicious LOL. my dad goes a step further and will scoop a little bit of butter on his spoon before diving into the milky cornbread. it's especially good if it's sweet cornbread :p
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I won't eat with my hands in public. I have no idea why, but even if it's a sandwich and fries, I eat them with silverware. Additionally, if I'm eating a sandwich/veggie burger/etc, I never eat the bun. I will eat essentially everything BUT the bun, which has led to many a "was something wrong with the food?" from many a concerned waitress who sees the re-stacked untouched bun and doesn't notice there's nothing between it.

Meanwhile at home I'm perfectly happy eating burgers with not only with buns but with my hands, and shovel fries by the fistful into my mouth, so WTH?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    To tell on myself...

There is a proper way to eat certain items. Chips, crackers, fries, etc...should be eaten so that the most "perfect" specimen is last. Small broken pieces first, then larger and more intact, etc., until the most perfect ones remain, which are also eaten in that manner until only the #1 perfect specimen remains, which is then eaten.

M&M, Skittles, and anything else that comes in multi-colors are eaten so that you have equal numbers of each color. For instance, if you have 7 red, 5 blue, 4 yellow, 4 brown and 3 green...you eat two red, then a red, and blue, then a red, blue, yellow, and brown, leaving you with three of each color, which are then eaten in reverse order - green, brown, yellow, blue red, green, brown...etc. But you must also pay attention to attractiveness and perfection. Large, misshapen ones get eaten first and you may choose to vary this by color - because you never want to end on a brown.

I swear to you, I do not have OCD.

These rules do not apply when you eat from the bag so that you can't see the items sufficiently to be picky. Then you just scarf them down.

@LadyLilion I Think we are the same person if you must also have an even amount of ice cubes in your drink when at home then we are
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

i have known two separate people in my life who do this! each time i would go to a restaurant with them, they'd ask for a huge plate of lemons to eat until their meal came. one friend squeezes out all of the juice in her water, salts it, peels off the rind, and then eats it. i don't remember if the other one salted hers, but she would eat the whole thing, rind included! i have tried it (salted and sans rind) and it's honestly not too bad, but definitely nothing that became a habit.

each time there is leftover cornbread in my house, my dad and i will stick a slice in a glass and pour milk on it. it's an east texas thing my dad picked up and i am the only family member who carries it on. everyone i tell this to thinks it's absolutely gross (even native texans) but it's delicious LOL. my dad goes a step further and will scoop a little bit of butter on his spoon before diving into the milky cornbread. it's especially good if it's sweet cornbread :p

My grandfather did this with buttermilk! He was more from the Panhandle than East Texas, though.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO DID THIS! - everyone thinks I'm absolutely disgusting for eating ketchup with bread. My mom would leave us at home alone when we were young (single mom, no money, etc) and although she would leave food for us to eat I wouldn't be in the mood for it so I would get the bread and dip it in ketchup and have it as a treat. It just stuck with me and I still do it in restaurants for the world to see. My husband hates me for it :)

Buttered bread dipped in ketchup is the bomb! So is buttered noodles and ketchup.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I'm not in Texas but my grandmother did the same thing. Often with buttermilk.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My brother's ex wife would only eat meat. She would sometimes eat a French fry or two - that was about the only vegetable she would touch. She would also eat a few different candy bars, but other than that.. meat.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Cornbread and milk is a southern thing, I think. My dad still does this. He is from the Shreveport area, so maybe close to Eastern Texas?
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I know several...one was this guy I went to high school with who couldn't eat in front of anyone. I am still wondering why. Like does he chew weird or can't keep food from falling out of his mouth?

The second is a family that ONLY feeds their kid fast food. Not necessarily weird just pisses me off. I know them and I know the mother had time to cook because she doesn't work. She just doesn't cook and now she and her daughter are very overweight and it really pisses me off.

Also, I remember my grandma went on a diet when I was a kid where the only thing she ate was cottage cheese and pineapple. I don't remember it working.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »

All of my east Texas family does this, or something like it. I don't know if it's specifically an east Texas thing, but it's a thing. None of my central Texas family does it, I don't think, but then, the central Texas chunk of my family is small and kind of prissy, so maybe not a good representation.

I don't think it's gross, exactly, but it only works with my mom's cornbread (because, bless her heart, she can't make cornbread to save her life and it's usually kind of burnt and dry. LOL!) I don't like it with better cornbread, because it gets too soggy too fast.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    all six pages, and nobody has the same quirk as me, so here goes:

i have to chew "good bites" of food with the left side of my mouth and "less good" bites with the right side. so, if i'm eating a meal with several components i first taste each of them to rank them in order of preference, last night was started with a chopped salad, each bite assessed via forked ratio of ingredients, followed by: 1. seasoned avocado 2. salmon 3. risotto 4. green beans - so i may eat a bite of salmon (left) then green beans (right) then avocado (left) etc. BUT if there are less "good bites" than there are "less good bites" and i have to double up i get annoyed. pizza or things like that are assessed on a bite by bite guessing system, and if i accidentally get something delicious and chew it on the wrong side, i'm annoyed. it's way more automatic than it sounds and i have absolutely no idea where it came from.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'll call myself out... not a diet, but weird quirk..

I've always put grapefruit juice in my cold cereal(cheerios/flakes).. or eaten it dry. I can't stand the mouthfeel of milk..except with grape nuts.

I cannot stand milk on cereal. I love cereal, but only eat it dry. I didn't really think of that as a "weird thing" though (although my husband thinks it's weird).
  • mrswho76
    mrswho76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My inlaws don't buy most meat. The exceptions are hamburger during grilling season, deli meats (mostly olive loaf), ham at Easter and Christmas and bacon. MIL doesn't "trust" the meat you buy in stores because "who knows what they put in it". Their diet consists almost exclusively of processed foods. Including soups and pizzas with meat in/on them. So the local butcher is probably putting stuff in their meat, but the factory that pumps out the frozen pizza is cool. They will have salad if they are having spaghetti or lasagna (frozen) and veggies at special occasions (basically Easter and Christmas.)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I met someone who claimed to be a Fruitiarian. SO restrictive! I can't even imagine! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.
    My sister!! She's 42, BTW.

I once had a co-worker who would put sweet-n-low on everything. I am not exaggerating-- EVERYTHING. Ice cream, pot roast, green beans, sandwiches- literally everything. She carried hundreds of packs with her everywhere she went. So strange.

I don't like having my food touch. Mainly salty touching sweet like if my eggs touch fruits on my plate, I wont eat the egg part that's touching the fruit lol. But if my bacon eggs and sausage touch I'm fine with it. I'd never put my eggs near pancakes and syrup though! haha

That's me too
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    My grandfather did this with buttermilk! He was more from the Panhandle than East Texas, though.
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Cornbread and milk is a southern thing, I think. My dad still does this. He is from the Shreveport area, so maybe close to Eastern Texas?

aw yeah, shout out to all the grandparents and dads who don't make me feel so weird :p
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    All of my east Texas family does this, or something like it. I don't know if it's specifically an east Texas thing, but it's a thing. None of my central Texas family does it, I don't think, but then, the central Texas chunk of my family is small and kind of prissy, so maybe not a good representation.

I don't think it's gross, exactly, but it only works with my mom's cornbread (because, bless her heart, she can't make cornbread to save her life and it's usually kind of burnt and dry. LOL!) I don't like it with better cornbread, because it gets too soggy too fast.

are they in austin?? LOL
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »

aw yeah, shout out to all the grandparents and dads who don't make me feel so weird :p
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

are they in austin?? LOL

New Braunfels.

I don't think of Austin as prissy - but then I also don't think it's as weird as it thinks it is, so what do I know?