What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I eat 3 Musketeers candy bars by stripping off the chocolate layer and eating it first and then eating the center nougat afterwards.

Never was a big fan of milk on cereal - I can eat a box of Cheerios dry but refuse to eat it with milk.

I used to take the little ketchup packets from fast food places and freeze them, then eat them like popsicles.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    I eat kitkats by carefully nibbling off all the chocolate from the sides before eating the wafers.

I do that!
  • Matiara
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Matiara wrote: »
    When I was little, I would eat Shredded Wheat cereal mixed with instant mashed potatoes. Yeah. I don't know either.

My mom has told me that I used to eat onions like they were apples. I don't remember that and I hate raw onions, so I can't imagine.

Only tangentially related (or tangentially on topic), but gonna tell the story anyway:

On one occasion, when I was a tiny child, my aunt let me eat all the home-made fresh butter I could manage, with a spoon. (My mother later said I'd kept eating it until I shuddered at each new bite.)

I couldn't eat butter again for 10 years or more (unless deeply hidden in a multi-ingredient dish, such as baked goods). I couldn't eat it cold on bread or rolls until I was maybe 30.

Perhaps your childhood raw onion consumption had a similar effect.

That could well be possible. It's so weird that I'm fine eating a meal that contains cooked onions as long as the pieces are not large and I love onion rings, but raw onion is a no go. It actually triggers my gag reflex.
  • Matiara
    Treece68 wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    To tell on myself...

There is a proper way to eat certain items. Chips, crackers, fries, etc...should be eaten so that the most "perfect" specimen is last. Small broken pieces first, then larger and more intact, etc., until the most perfect ones remain, which are also eaten in that manner until only the #1 perfect specimen remains, which is then eaten.

M&M, Skittles, and anything else that comes in multi-colors are eaten so that you have equal numbers of each color. For instance, if you have 7 red, 5 blue, 4 yellow, 4 brown and 3 green...you eat two red, then a red, and blue, then a red, blue, yellow, and brown, leaving you with three of each color, which are then eaten in reverse order - green, brown, yellow, blue red, green, brown...etc. But you must also pay attention to attractiveness and perfection. Large, misshapen ones get eaten first and you may choose to vary this by color - because you never want to end on a brown.

I swear to you, I do not have OCD.

These rules do not apply when you eat from the bag so that you can't see the items sufficiently to be picky. Then you just scarf them down.

@LadyLilion I Think we are the same person if you must also have an even amount of ice cubes in your drink when at home then we are

We are apparently triplets.

I have a *lot* of quirks, food and otherwise and I must say that this thread has made me feel not so weird. :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    A very informed and well knowledged gentlemen on our senior staff will not eat any macros together. He completely separates any and all carbs, proteins, fats and does not drink with meals. This diet goes back to the 1800s and repeatedly debunked. He knows all this, but has convinced himself that eating this way has helped him.

Even he admits how strange this is and has acknowledge the placebo effect.

He eats each macro separately at the same meal or each meal has it's own macro? How does he manage that? How do you have fats as a completely separate component of food, pure fats being things like butter or oil, etc. Does he just drink them?

Each meal is it's own macro, which makes for interesting conversation at business dinners. There's at least 30 mins between each macro, so he would eat the meat, then wait 30 min (no beverage mind you) then eat the carbs, wait 30 mins...

The micros he's not as concerned with, so he will eat butter on his potatoes for example, but never adds anything to his food.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    For me I've always been a keen sorter, so will sort my M&Ms, Skittles, etc by color/flavor. Evidently I did this at three and insisted that Dad got the green M&Ms, Mom got the oranges, etc. One point there were only a few of my personally dedicated colors and I was upset, but held to the plan and handed out these to my parents.

I still sort things, but not quite as adamant to sticking to assigned colors.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never thought this was strange, but I guess to some it is -- I cannot eat anything (except maybe a piece of fruit) without having a beverage, ideally water, at hand. I never knew people actually ate meals without beverages pre MFP, but since I've seen a number of people asking if it's bad to drink with meals or saying they read that.

I recall back in the day when they'd serve meals on planes that they'd serve the meal and then come around with the drink service afterwards and sitting there annoyed with my useless meal on my tray waiting for a beverage so I could eat. (This does sound a bit extreme, now that I write it, but I still find a meal non-pleasurable if I don't have water or some other beverage too.)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    A very informed and well knowledged gentlemen on our senior staff will not eat any macros together. He completely separates any and all carbs, proteins, fats and does not drink with meals. This diet goes back to the 1800s and repeatedly debunked. He knows all this, but has convinced himself that eating this way has helped him.

Even he admits how strange this is and has acknowledge the placebo effect.

He eats each macro separately at the same meal or each meal has it's own macro? How does he manage that? How do you have fats as a completely separate component of food, pure fats being things like butter or oil, etc. Does he just drink them?

Each meal is it's own macro, which makes for interesting conversation at business dinners. There's at least 30 mins between each macro, so he would eat the meat, then wait 30 min (no beverage mind you) then eat the carbs, wait 30 mins...

The micros he's not as concerned with, so he will eat butter on his potatoes for example, but never adds anything to his food.

That seems like a very cumbersome way to live one's life, but hey - if he enjoys it!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    mrswho76 wrote: »
    My inlaws don't buy most meat. The exceptions are hamburger during grilling season, deli meats (mostly olive loaf), ham at Easter and Christmas and bacon. MIL doesn't "trust" the meat you buy in stores because "who knows what they put in it". Their diet consists almost exclusively of processed foods. Including soups and pizzas with meat in/on them. So the local butcher is probably putting stuff in their meat, but the factory that pumps out the frozen pizza is cool. They will have salad if they are having spaghetti or lasagna (frozen) and veggies at special occasions (basically Easter and Christmas.)

Olive loaf. Of all the meats that they could choose. It's olive loaf. Who knows what is in that stuff!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO DID THIS! - everyone thinks I'm absolutely disgusting for eating ketchup with bread. My mom would leave us at home alone when we were young (single mom, no money, etc) and although she would leave food for us to eat I wouldn't be in the mood for it so I would get the bread and dip it in ketchup and have it as a treat. It just stuck with me and I still do it in restaurants for the world to see. My husband hates me for it :)

Buttered bread dipped in ketchup is the bomb! So is buttered noodles and ketchup.

Honey Boo Boo calls that Sketti. (I guess it's their family's version of spaghetti.) :s
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Ok I'll throw my quirk out there.

I do not eat the pointy ends of french fries. If a fry has one pointy end and one square/rounder end I'll hold it at the pointy end and eat down to the point. If the fry has two pointy sides I'll break one point off and then proceed as above :D By the time I'm done an order of fries there's always a pile of pointy french fry ends in my plate...which my husband scoops up and eats because he hates waste lol.

The pointy, crunchier end pieces are the best!!

That's what everyone tells me, but I just find them too rigid, funny enough I love crispy potatoes chips so I don't know what the *kitten* is wrong with me :D
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    I've always been a picky eater - as other people have admitted to before here. Actually, it's really nice to know it's not just me. I don't mix most foods, with a few exceptions. I also eat all of one food before moving to the next.

I have an issue with vinegar and mayonnaise. I often tell people I'm allergic rather than trying to explain it, because I can't understand it myself. I can't be in the same room with vinegar at all because it makes me sick. I can't eat any vinaigrette because of this. However, I can eat pickles without issue, and I know good and well what those cucumbers were pickled in. I don't know why this is, but I know there's a lot of foods this affects. It's similar with mayonnaise. I absolutely cannot eat in on a sandwich. It just doesn't go down. However, I can eat deviled eggs despite them being made with mayonnaise. I can't explain it at all.

I have problems with certain textures of foods. I can't eat an apple that's soft off the core, but I can eat it when sliced. It tastes differently despite that making no sense. I also can't eat things with conflicting textures, like jello with fruit in it. If I'm eating a meat, and I get a bite of gristle, I will suddenly get sick. My mind is screaming to get this thing out of my mouth, and I have no option. If I try to swallow, it will come up.

I also like a lot of foods burned.

I am a truly odd person.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never thought this was strange, but I guess to some it is -- I cannot eat anything (except maybe a piece of fruit) without having a beverage, ideally water, at hand. I never knew people actually ate meals without beverages pre MFP, but since I've seen a number of people asking if it's bad to drink with meals or saying they read that.

I recall back in the day when they'd serve meals on planes that they'd serve the meal and then come around with the drink service afterwards and sitting there annoyed with my useless meal on my tray waiting for a beverage so I could eat. (This does sound a bit extreme, now that I write it, but I still find a meal non-pleasurable if I don't have water or some other beverage too.)

I sometimes start typing something in, and then erase it because I always reread it before posting and as I read it I think "wow, that's really weird, and I never realized just how weird." MFP has been therapeutic for me in that way. Or at least has helped me come to terms with what a freak I am.
  • heslopsk
    heslopsk Posts: 7 Member
    I have a cousin who only ate one meal a day for a bit. That one meal would be big and that's all she ate until the next day. She did end up losing weight, but I stand by healthy, balanced, portion meals.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    My brother used to eat everything on his plate one item at a time and in alphabetical order. He doesn't do it anymore and I think he was partly doing it just for fun and then carried on because it annoyed people (he was always last to finish his meal and it was infuriating to a house full of hungry teenagers to see a nice cut of pork just sitting there whilst he made his way through his peas.

I've always been someone who will eat pretty much everything so I have a hard time relating to picky eaters. I would never want to restrict myself to such a bland diet like the girl who I lived with at uni who only ate chicken nuggets or sausages with chips and peas every day.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited June 2017
    My dad absolutely hated the way I ate meat as a kid. I would take each piece, inspect it for any bits of skin or cartilage, and only eat the meal after every chunk of meat had been made safe for consumption. He then started bringing bacon home - bad idea, I would take again each piece, patiently remove every bit of the white squishy stuff and then eat only the red bits.

I did that with fruit as well. When eating cherries I would carefully inspect the outside of each, split it open to check for worms and eat it only if it's safe. As a teenager I insisted on buying cherries in the house and I would take 10-15 minutes to pick a kilo one by one. The shop assistants were not amused.

I'd say in my case low quality kindergarten meals broke my trust in food. While I have grown out of most of my quirks, I still refuse to eat food that leaks fat, unless that fat is drained or removed with paper. This means having unhealthy take out food is a no no unless it's pizza (I remove the cheese fat with paper) or fries. I've stayed hungry quite a few times just because I was afraid of the oil leaking nastily from my food and forming pools.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    My dad absolutely hated the way I ate meat as a kid. I would take each piece, inspect it for any bits of skin or cartilage, and only eat the meal after every chunk of meat had been made safe for consumption. He then started bringing bacon home - bad idea, I would take again each piece, patiently remove every bit of the white squishy stuff and then eat only the red bits.

50 years old and I still pick my meat apart. Waste of money to take me to a steak house.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    susanp57 wrote: »
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I have a friend who puts so many lemons in her diet coke, there is almost no room for the soda.

With cupcakes, I tear the bottom half of the cake off and throw it away. It significantly changes the frosting to cake ratio, as well as saves a few calories. Win-Win.

Funny, I was at a restaurant the other day and an older gentleman sat at the table right next to me. The waiter brought water. The gentleman asked "can I have a bunch of lemons with this?" So the waiter came back with a saucer with like 3 slices of lemon. The gentleman said "I need more than just that, bring me as many as you can." The waiter came back with a salad plate of lemon wedges. The man proceeded to then eat them like orange slices.

I often scrape frosting off of my cupcakes, not that I've eaten cupcakes for a long time now. I like more cake, less frosting and it seems to me that the trend lately is to put a huge tower of frosting on top.

i have known two separate people in my life who do this! each time i would go to a restaurant with them, they'd ask for a huge plate of lemons to eat until their meal came. one friend squeezes out all of the juice in her water, salts it, peels off the rind, and then eats it. i don't remember if the other one salted hers, but she would eat the whole thing, rind included! i have tried it (salted and sans rind) and it's honestly not too bad, but definitely nothing that became a habit.

each time there is leftover cornbread in my house, my dad and i will stick a slice in a glass and pour milk on it. it's an east texas thing my dad picked up and i am the only family member who carries it on. everyone i tell this to thinks it's absolutely gross (even native texans) but it's delicious LOL. my dad goes a step further and will scoop a little bit of butter on his spoon before diving into the milky cornbread. it's especially good if it's sweet cornbread :p

I'm not in Texas but my grandmother did the same thing. Often with buttermilk.

All of my east Texas family does this, or something like it. I don't know if it's specifically an east Texas thing, but it's a thing. None of my central Texas family does it, I don't think, but then, the central Texas chunk of my family is small and kind of prissy, so maybe not a good representation.

I don't think it's gross, exactly, but it only works with my mom's cornbread (because, bless her heart, she can't make cornbread to save her life and it's usually kind of burnt and dry. LOL!) I don't like it with better cornbread, because it gets too soggy too fast.

I'm in Tennessee. Half of old Texas families were originally from Tennessee. That may explain it.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    This morning I remembered something I used to do as a kid that I don't think anyone else mentioned yet. With fruit on the bottom-type yogurt, I would eat the plain yogurt off the top and save the fruit for last. I knew full well that you're supposed to stir it all together, but I liked the little treat at the end.