WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Replies

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Just finished an hour doing Yoga with my daughter Jessica on FaceTime! She's pushing me really hard, but I feel really good now!! My right hip has been hurting but I think it will loosen up! Next Yoga class is Monday at 1:00 pm.

Then I made DH a blueberry pie from yesterday's picking. It looks great, pictures later!

Dana in Arkansas
    wowgn47vepp2.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi friends-

I felt like I would never catch up so I skipped a few pages this am. Hope I didn't miss something earth shaking or super enlightening. I am truly enjoying hearing about everyone's journey whether it is exotic or mundane. The pictures are great!

Happy belated birthday, Becca!

Happy anniversary to Pip and (?) 56 years! Oops forgot who.

I am thinking of all of you and sending cheers to celebrate accomplishments and hugs to comfort the hurting.

I have been floundering a bit on what to do about my marriage. I am discovering just how so severely co-dependent I am. Is it too late to change that at age 67? Somehow I am having trouble putting myself first. I mean really, really first. If we split up will I feel guilty and empty because I am no longer enabling him? My counselor hit the nail on the head when she said I am being "the mother" in this relationship. Yes, so true! But I have always been the "mother". Even when I was little. That is how I coped with alcoholic parents.

Thanks for listening. Love you all.

TNToni

:) The Twelve Steps that are the recovery program in Al-Anon and Gam-Anon and Co-dependents Anonymous are a perfect way to enable yourself to change old behaviors if you really want to change. There is a solution <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,522 Member
    stats for the day:

rowing machine- 20min, 103ahr, 120mhr, 55aw, 3270meters-2.03mi = 116c
    Apple Watch- 155c
    jump rope- 3.31min, 133ahr, 144mhr = 38c
    Apple Watch- 43c
    Plyometricc exercises- 30.02min, 3ets of 10each, burpees, squats, stationary running lunges, single leg toe touches, ceiling to fl single leg touches w/10# weight, squats w/jump, push-ups, hamstring leglifts, reverse bicycles crunches, sit-ups w/10# weight, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, all 4's elbow to knee, on bk, leg crossed hip up, 138mhr = 234c
    Apple Watch- 233c
    other- skip/scissors, single leg drills- 16.51min = 168c
    Apple Watch- 158c

total cal 556
    apple watch says 589
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    (((((Toni))))) it is so hard to break that cycle. We can't tell you what to do, but we can surely be here for you regardless of your decision.

Beth, tell me more about this "ultra" stuff. You mentioned extended expiration dates. It makes me wonder if our half-and-half fits into that category. I guess it's time to read the label. I sure hope not, I love that stuff!

No more time. Peace to all....
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hello all: Hot here today. Horses are out in the front pasture where there is more shade. Found out from a friend that we can get 25 bales of hay for free but have to pick it up today or tomorrow. I think DD is going to pick it up tomorrow while DH and I are at church. They are smaller bales so she should be able to get them in my truck. I will help unload and put them up in the barn when I get home.

Katla - DD and I built cages for our blueberry bushes out of 3/4" PVC pipe and netting with 1/2" squares to keep the deer and birds out. I will try to get a picture. I learned to tow my horse trailer in a huge empty parking lot at the Sioux Falls Arena. I had a friend who drove semis teach me. That was a lifesaver.

Sue in TX - Our book club here is reading Ordinary Grace. I really liked the book. Hope you enjoy it.

Toni and Allie - Sending you both strength and peace.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    :)
    Sarah
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Patsy, that’s wonderful that the eye injections are working. And yes, the thought of that makes me cringe! :s

Joyce, we’ve had dogs that seem to torment each other at times but then we see sleeping together. I think it takes a while for dogs or cats to figure out the best routine that works for them when a new member is introduced into the family.

Heather, nice list you posted on Inner Peace.

Tere, your story about your DH and his frying reminded me of my DH’s family. They had a way of deciding that something was each person’s specialty and they would be the cook for that dish at any family gatherings after that. Mine was fried chicken. They would rave about what wonderful chicken I did, or what great hush puppies Linda (SIL) made, etc. I think they did it because DMIL wouldn’t have to cook those dishes ever again if we were around. She certainly did more than her share so it wasn’t a problem. cooking.gif

Kelly, I know you are excited about your DD’s arrival. Have fun with that beautiful baby and share lots of pics with us.

Katla, good luck keeping the deer away from your blueberries. I look forward to seeing what you end up with. What a bummer about your car. It’s always a hassle and then the hope that the paint matches if they have to repaint just one section. I agree that is a strange place to be teaching an inexperienced driver to tow a trailer.

Margaret, beautiful water lilies. Thanks for sharing. I don’t know why all of a sudden it seems that many of the pictures come out that way where you have to open them. But I don’t mind and enjoy the pictures.

Allie, I’ll be interested to hear how you like your Amazon Echo. I have had no desire to get one but ya never know.

Earnie, I think I already said “Welcome” but I’ll say it again just in case. Glad to have you join us.

Jenn, glad you had a good day.

Toni, please give yourself permission to be the adult in the relationship and put you first. (((((Hugs))))) You deserve it.

Kate, peace to you, my friend. :)

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday was a bit tense between DH and DD. Because of it I didn’t sleep well last night. They are both so stuck in their ways and don’t want to give in. *sigh* I just don’t want to be stuck in the middle.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    evening ladies~
    back from Aunt Marys house, the cousins had the whole family and friends down to her house with a big spread.. she would love it, Mary was quite the entertainer.. so having a houseful would make her so happy..she passed away on there wedding anniversary, And I can picture her husband with arms outstretched to welcome her home..the aunts and uncles dont know whats going on between Tom and I ,but the cousins do..
    The wake is Tuesday night and I will leave work early and go on my own, because Tom has an appt with his attorney.. we will go together to the funeral on weds.... just to much to try and take DFIL , and it might upset him to much so we have decided it best if he stayed where he is..
    I did have a glass of white wine, so now I am ready for bed..
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    I was rereading my last post and discovered an error. My macular degeneration is dry (thank God) not wet. Just saying if anyone noticed.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Allie – You go, girl! Taking care of in-laws even when you are going through what you are, shows that you have a ‘huge’ heart. TomCat is only ‘out for his pleasure’ and ‘what has become important to him’. Besides, God doesn’t like ‘ugly’; and, Karma is waiting around the corner and I bet she’ll have a ‘field day’ with him. But, don’t look for vengeance because that is for God!

TomCat is not ‘pushing’ for anything because he ‘thinks’ he has the best of 2 worlds. Stop doing his laundry and see how quickly he goes into a ‘panic’. Just saying, there are a few things that ‘if’ a man has to do them when he has always had a ‘wife’ to do it … makes them ‘think’ a ‘wee bit’; not that you should ever consider taking him back. I am sure that “Kissy Poo” doesn’t want to do his laundry. That will take all the ‘charm’ out of ‘their’ relationship.

Dana – While I don’t expect your husband to do something a younger person could do; but, when my sister was having a problem with her Brittany Spaniel ‘dragging her’. She went to a ‘dog obedience class’ and the ‘former Marine/dog handler’ told her when she does that turn around and head in the opposite direction as fast as you can; if she continues, turn back around. Eight to ten weeks in his class, she was able to walk her ‘off a leash’ on a busy highway and know she’d heel all the time. Margaret said that was the best $$$ she had ever spend on one of her pets. I know remember the name of her ‘jigsaw puzzle Heinz 57’ dog she had – it was “Sister”. I think someone gave her to her because the ‘mama’ had gotten out and was ‘slutting’ around. She was literally so ugly, she was cute.

Blueberries look wonderful. I bought strawberries yesterday from Publix, and I have never had any that were so sweet you did not have to put sugar on them.

Dolly is a lot ‘bigger’ dog than I had imagined.

My BF’s youngest son and 3 grandchildren leave in Hot Springs, I ‘think’.

Karen in Virginia – Setting TomCat’s phone to forward all messages from kissy poo to her attorney would be ‘classic’ get back. RITFLMAO!

I got a pressure cooker; but it isn’t an “Instant Pot” (if that is the maker of it); but, it has a lot of features.

It is Saturday; and, have we have NOT gotten any of the wood that we were promised to get it stained so they can come back and replace the raw wood and warping wood. I am NOT a happy camper!

Toni – I pre-track my food for the day; and, them make ‘changes’ when necessary. When we go out on a ‘date night’ and I ‘might’ have some wine or a mixed drink; I don’t eat in the afternoons; and, because it falls on a weekend; we don’t normally eat but 2 meals a day with a snack of fruit or celery with hummus or guacamole. I find that although I do not ‘eat my calories’ back; it gives me an idea of what my exercise will be. Normally, I take Sunday’s off from exercise; but, I think I will do it today instead.

Jenn – Don’t beat yourself up about coming home and snacking. Walking and other exercise usually does make us hungry. Did you eat while y’all were out checking out the boutiques? Maybe that had something to do with it. I ate potato chips with supper tonight and I can’t tell you how long it has been since I have. Over a year, at least. But, thankfully, just a small bag that DH brought home after feeding DOS’ lab. That helps me with portion control. Getting a good set of measuring cups, spoons, and a food scale is also something I have and use consistently. If you try to ‘eyeball’ a serving of something, especially when first starting out, you can find that you overeat. I also put most of my meals on a salad plate and put my fork down while I chew. Now that is a habit that is hard to establish..

Becca – Walking (especially at a good clip) is so much better than the constant pounding your knees take by jogging. I have a small trampoline for when I want to ‘jog’. Now, another thing for Louis and Trey to put it together. Because it will take two to get it set up. I’ve tried it by myself and not getting anywhere fast.

TNToni – A lot of people who live or grow up in a home with a heavy drinker or an alcoholic, see a lot of ‘enabling’ and ‘co-dependency’. I don’t know if you are going to a ‘psychologist’ as your counselor or if you belong to the “Family Group” of AA. I’ve had 2 friends who went through it, even when their husbands did not go (because they did not think they had a ‘drinking problem’). Both of the learned how to stop being ‘co-dependent’ and an ‘enabler’. Sometimes this step, even ‘asking’ the spouse if they would come, too; is something that it takes a while for a person to wrap their heads around. I love my DH; and, for the most part we’ve had a good and loving relationship. He went through a lot with me when at the age of 38 or 39, I was diagnosed with being ‘bipolar’ (but that doesn’t define the person/woman I am). I got help and with that and the proper medication I have been a lot better to live with and it is also a lot easier on me as well. I have seizures; but, they too, are controlled by medication. My Dad was a ‘heavy drinker’; but because of his profession, it was like a ‘binge’ type of drinker. Mother would make ‘excuses’ for him, which in turn make the 3 of us do just about anything NOT to be ‘enablers’. Mother was a ‘strong woman’; but, she did not want Daddy’s behavior to embarrass him later. We had to keep him ‘off the phone’ because when he was drinking things would pop into his head and then he felt it was necessary to get it ‘off his chest’. When I got into my teens that seemed to have fallen to me, to do it. Mother busied herself with being involved in Women’s Clubs for the entire state, therefore she was gone a lot. The 12 step programs for alcoholics and drug addicts and other ‘addicts’ have one for the person or people having or trying to live with them.

AllieSee … you are already getting a LOT BETTER and TomCat isn’t even ‘out of the picture’ yet. Well, maybe he is … you made that ‘hard’ decision to make an unhappy time in your life turn into something you are looking forward to and that means showing yourself just how ‘strong you really are’. No, we don’t have to depend on a man. Mine has allowed me the room I need and gently brought me back in to a safe place for me. So many ‘other’ men would have ‘tucked tail and run as fast as they could’ when I first became sick. Having a ‘mental illness’ is like getting ‘old’ … it is NOT for sissies. But, I don’t think I could ever picture myself ‘loving’ another man like I have ‘this’ one for nearly 45 years. He was a ‘keeper’ and, apparently he thought the same about me. As my DYS told our DOGD, ‘go to school, go to school, go to school, get a job and make your own money before you get married and start having children, so that ‘if’ you ever have to … you’ll be able to do it’. My ‘sage’ advice is ‘don’t jump back into a new relationship; be proud of what YOU can do and that you CAN DO it without a man. That doesn’t mean to stay home and not enjoy the company of a man. Go out to eat, go to a movie, watch others, and you might find that someone at a museum might have the same taste in art or music that you do, or whatever else you like to do. Join a place where you can learn to dance or play card games … just socialize and ‘enjoy’ it. TomCat’s ‘honey’ might not seem near as intriguing when he realizes it will no longer be a ‘cat and mouse’ game. He has probably enjoyed that ‘chase’ and when you divorce him … he won’t be doing something that is ‘under the table’. LOL!!!!!

Dana – Your daughter is certainly in fantastic shape. I could do stuff like this when I was a cheerleader in HS; but … that was way too many years ago, too.

DJ – I could NEVER fry chicken … black lady that worked for my family could make the BEST fried chicken, chicken & dumplings, and homemade biscuits. Mother's homemade biscuits were hard and flat. Paint the black and you could use them as a 'hockey puck'. So she'd made a double batch so that on Sunday mornings we could split them, put butter on them and toast them. I don’t eat fried foods any longer, so I don’t miss the ‘chicken’ … but, I sure love skinless hot wings and drumsticks. Cracker Barrel’s chicken & dumplings were just like hers, so when I get it in my mind that I want some, I go there and frozen Pillsbury Grands makes good ‘biscuits’. I look for ‘easy’! But, all 3 are somewhat off my weekly menus.

My Mother made the BEST baked beans; that she learned from ‘trial and error’ after having some that a woman in her hometown made. When she asked for her recipe, she hesitated, then wrote it out; but, let out a couple of ingredients and it did not take long for Mother to figure it out. After that, she was told she HAD to bring a pot of them to every family reunion. She cooked them in a Boston Bean Pot; and, it was surprising how many people could be served out of that pot.

Let your DH and DD settle their own issues; that way … you ‘aren’t’ in the middle. But, I will tell you this … right or wrong … if forced to choose sides; Louis comes first and the boys come over their wives. But, I am quick to tell them 'how I think they are wrong' about something. As for my DGDs, they have parents … so I don’t need to get ‘involved’ in disputes between them. I'll listen to them and sometimes they come down to just 'let off steam'. It can get pretty 'testy' down there from time-to-time. But, Jenn being on medication has certainly helped.

Getting their finances into a manageable condition has also helped. Their moods have 'greatly improved'!!!!!

Lenora
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Thanks fro the encouraging words, ladies. They mean a lot to me. I have a very good counselor who is helping me work through all of this.

Barbie - Thank you for mentioning the 12 step programs. I participated in Al-anon when my son had addiction issues in his teens. They are great sources of support and can help us be a lot healthier.

Allie - You certainly have taken charge of your situation. You go girl! Mine is quite a bit different. Hubby is kind, patient, agreeable - But- very detached and disconnected. Also he has never contributed much financially. I have always supported us. Then he goes and gambles away my money and who knows what else - all the while being sweet and kind. It would be a lot easier for me if he was an outright jerk instead of a manipulator. My goal is for me to be emotionally healthy and to quit enabling him. Hard after 36 years.

Hope all of you have a wonderful evening.

Toni in Tennessee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Did an hour of a Classic Firm DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Fit Body Yoga DVD.

Jess came down last night. We have an appt at the vet for her cat and one of ours. I think I'm going to take the cookies, cake and dog biscuits to the Newcomer guy whose wife is in the hospital. I won't stay at all, we have to get home to get the cats home. I'll call him when we get home.

Allie - I agree with everything Joyce wrote. You are one classy lady. Maybe Tom doesn't want so much to be with Elana -- he just wants his cake and eat it, too.Good for you ordering something for yourself. You deserve it

Earnie - I'm so sorry for your loss and so glad you found us.

Exercised, then went in the pool, church tonight where I lectored and was Eucharistic Minister, I made a lasagna for us to have tonight but Jess didn't want lasagna so I baked it and cut it up for Vince and to take some to Bob (the Newcomer). His sons left today. Then we went out to dinner at NY Hibachi. I didn't realize that you can pick certain foods and they grill it for you. The second time I went I asked for little to no butter. The first time only a little butter. I couldn't believe how much butter they used! Then we went to Academy Sports (in the same shopping center as NY Hibachi), now home.

Bob's sons left so one lady in Newcomers has asked for volunteers to walk his dog and a few other things. I told her that I can do it Mon night. If she confirms with me that she wants me to, since this is a one-time (probably) deal, I'll skip mahjongg, stay at ceramics longer and then go walk the dog.

Had most veges and fish at Hibachi, only water to drink. I admit, I did have a bite of cheesecake, and a bite of what I thought was a brownie but it tasted really weird so I didn't eat it, mostly fruit (their cantaloupe isn't bad at all and I got some pineapple, not crazy about how they have the oranges cut up, the watermelon was good just wish it was in a bigger piece).

Been trying to look for a clock for outside by the pool. My requirements are: it has to be a minimum of 18" in diameter, have all 12 numerals, needs to be indoor/outdoor clock, I would like a background with a pool/beach theme, not a boring plain clock. Anything so far that I've seen has been for indoor use only.

Toni - I can't help thinking of Allie and how she's taking charge of herself right now. You can do it!!!

Dana - your daughter never ceases to amaze me. I could never do some of the poses that she does. She must be in really really good shape

Lenora - were you able to ask Louis for me??? What did he say????

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,522 Member
    L
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited June 2017
    :) We had an appointment with a woman who was a potential dog walker for days were are gone all day. She didn't show up and didn't reply to the text or email I sent, so I guess she won't get hired by us. I'm disappointed because she has a long history of fostering dogs and I thought she'd be understanding and patient with Bessie.

:) It was hot again today so I stayed indoors in the middle of the day.
    *15,000 steps
    *180 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *107 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *98 minutes spreading bark in the front yard (before 10 AM and after 5 PM)
    *90 minute nap
  • DanaReel180
    edited June 2017
    Good evening ladies,

I don't know where today went, but I did take a nap after dinner. I think it was the blueberry pie that knocked me out!!
    I did make a pie from the berries we picked. It was so delicious! Nothing like it! (I did stay within my calories)

Maybe the Yoga class did me in too.

Michele in NC Yes, Jessica has been an Yoga instructor for a long time. She studies Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.
    She's been after me to do it with her via FaceTime and it worked great! It was fun too too share time with her.

Lenora Dolly is a large dog. Hounds are very strong and bred for hunting and running forever. They actually have greyhounds in their bloodline.
    I wish DH would take her to a class, but he doesn't want to spend the money.
    I will tell him about turning her around though. It's funny. She doesn't try those tricks on me. I shorten up the leash and she stays by my side. He lets her run ahead.

Well, Good night.
    I need to catch up with y'all tomorrow!

Dana in Arkansas

Me and my blueberry pie:
    l4flnqd0ahg5.jpg
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Take care ladies. Hugs to all.

Paula Y.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    I am not a good cook at all. In fact nothing n the kitchen turns out well. But one family Neal when everyone litchi in, I madca Watergate salad. My bother in la says it must be a shape at every family get together. I do have several recipes up my sleeves but they are high in carbs and calories. I love a good Mexican Chovolate cake mad form scratch.he hates my bbq hang burgers, says they fall apart to easily. Well they aren't made to be put on a bun and dressed like a hamburger. They are more of a hamburger/meatloaf recipe you put in a crockpot along with real bbq sauce and a home made one. Now the kids and us love it and it's easy to have in the crockpot if you don't know when they are coming in. And you can pit hot dogs in the sauce along with the hamburgers. Mom would take all leftovers abs name yummy spaghetti which earlier said BIL loved. I make spices Chilli and he puts hot sauc in it. But it is spices. So that is 4 things I make. Between Charlie and I together, we make a meN spaghetti sauce.and you can't go won't with meatloaf and hamburger helper.

Trinity is on her church youth groups mission trip. Right now that are in NewYark. I hope they can see the fireworks in Wasgington DC. That would be awesome.

Last night I found a sore between two toes. Not a good mix with Diabetes. I poured peroxrds on it, blended it and putvNeosporin and a bandaide. If it isn't ant worse, I know I need to call the doctor.. I gave an appointment with the nurspractioner in July to go over my pain contract. I hope o van cut out meds when I can go off my Ffieant and onc more b back on my Advil. I am cheating and tak g Aleve every night. Not sure how much it helps but get I am taking a muscle relaxant, two doses of natcotic pain pill and sleeping pill I want to be off of all of those.

Speaking of being off. I can't keep the nail caps on Mr Mozart. He uses anything as a scratchers post and they come off. He won't let me cut his nails. I know it isn't recommended at all but we might get his front bails declawed.we don't have much time to decide.6 months is the deadline. I think he is 14 weeks led now. Charlie put him on the scale with him and according to him, he has doubled his weight. I know between the two of them, they aren't eating as much. Still drink and us the little box a lot. I don't know if it's a competition or not to mark your small on it.

Joyce, indiana
  • DanaReel180
    edited June 2017
    joyce I know about all the pills. It took me months to wean myself off of Norco after back surgery. I'm finally free of that one but I have to take Xarelto until January for the blood clot I had in March. That was a wake up call for me. I saw for the first time how the lack of exercise could really cause a break down of my body. I have been moving more and got an exerciser/ peddler too.

Oh please! Do not declaw your cat. It is the most painful thing for an animal to go through. They cut the end of their toes off! It would be like cutting you fingers off at the knuckle bone above you fingernail. A lot of vets won't do it anymore because it's so inhumane. Pease don't do it!!!

Go to: declawing.com to read up on it.

Declawed cats may not want to go in the litter box because their toes hurt. That can be a real problem.

We had a cat that we rescued that was declawed. He was very mean and would bite because he couldn't scratch. They can't be left outside to fend for themselves either. Ivan, our cat, took a long time to be a loving pet. He would bite me even if I would move my arm over or by him. I have some scars to prove it!!

Dana in Arkansas