Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Finding time to Exercise

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I don't understand your weird obsessions on restricting what we're talking about to only people who have posted in this thread and only if they've said the magic number 30. You said you felt insulted because you imagine that people are talking about you, but we're not. There are millions of people in this country who don't get enough exercise, and many people who have said as much.

It seems like you'd prefer us not too talk about this because you're choosing to take it personally even though it's not directed at you.

I have just been following not participating, but if I might presume to arbitrate a moment:

The discussion on this thread was about people with more advanced fitness goals finding time to exercise, with frustrations and sensitivities about their limitations; threads about schlubs sitting on the couch and watching TV are a dime a dozen. I don't think heiliskrimsli needs to be told to get off her kitten, turn off the TV and exercise for half an hour a day because she is already rocking it when she can. The discussion was on another level.

So to use an analogy, it's like a group of people in a class entitled "Reading Comprehension" discussing, say, Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury and someone bustled into the class thumping his cane and saying all the damn kids should learn to read these day, and back in my day, we all know our alphabet. Well, yeah, that's true--but it's Faulkner comprehension being discussed, not remedial high school reading. Most people probably just ignore it, but others, being very orderly, logical, and (dare I say) lawyerly thinkers, tend to get annoyed by it, and say "WTF that's not what we are discussing here."

Perhaps the thread should have been titled "Finding Time to Exercise 401" so the CDC discussion could be had in "Finding Time to Exercise 101."

That doesn't really seem a fair comparison. A class titled "Reading Comprehension" would imply that people in the class know how to read, so starting a tangent that people should learn to read would be more off topic than sharing statistics on how many people don't exercise in a thread titled "Finding time to Exercise".

So title the class "Learning to Read." Regardless, if you walk in the room and hear the discussion is on Faulkner and not Dr. Seuss, you would probably want to listen a bit before making commentary.

Welcome to the internet. *shrug*
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started my office job in the '70's, finding time to exercise was not such a big deal to most people like me. Days in the office back then were filled with carrying heavy binders, going to and from filing cabinets and carrying folders and other paperwork, lugging around large volumes of mail,and getting out of your desk to visit a coworker or attend a meeting because email was still science fiction. I imagine most other professions had similar physical demands before modern innovations. As I recall, hours of extra physical activity was largely the domain of competitive athletes. Look how far we've come.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of time to exercise. My issue is massive fatigue levels caused by a traumatic brain injury. I'm like in that sci fi story where one third the population slows down in time, one third stays on normal time, and one third goes on speed up time. I'm in the slow time. Everything takes me longer to do because I'm in slow motion and it feels like I'm expending more energy to do the simple things. I have never experienced this before and believe me, tried to push through it...result...loss of consciousness/fainting dead away..I have new scars to prove it. So I just do what I can when I can. I'll go for long rambles through the countryside and I'm getting back into doing yoga.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    No excuses here.

I'm retired, have all the time in the world and have all the lifting/cardio gear that I need at home.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You don't "find" time to do things that are important to you. They just are PART of your day. IMO, you "find" time to do things that aren't a priority. Washing the car isn't a priority to me, but if I "find" time, I may do it. Or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maxematics..you have indeed inspired me to do more. I walk 45 minutes every morning before work and then spend about 20 minutes strength training. Sitting here reading this post will get me up out of this desk chair here in a few minutes. I have atleast 3 hours before dark when I get home to move and here I sit. Thanks for the motivation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @walking4me2day I do most of my internet reading and phone calls while I'm walking, I'm walking right now as I'm typing this. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

I very often save the big 30+ page mfp threads for when I'm walking. It makes the time fly and i don't get bored!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm considering retooling my daily schedule to make time to work out in the AM because my arthritis is too burdensome by the time I get home from work. Sometimes you have to do something fairly drastic like that. It is hard nowadays especially if you work more than one job. I think it's a matter of evaluating where all your time goes and when and being creative about it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    @walking4me2day I do most of my internet reading and phone calls while I'm walking, I'm walking right now as I'm typing this. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

I very often save the big 30+ page mfp threads for when I'm walking. It makes the time fly and i don't get bored!

Ditto! I also do my online job.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about finding time, it's about having to take that time away from other things. I had hoped to get back to practicing piano this summer. Maybe do some writing. Those are things I haven't had time for because I've spent it at work or play practice, visiting family or friends, or meal prepping or at the gym. There's not enough time for everything.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I make time without exception. But I'm lucky whereas I have a job that keeps me somewhat active, I walk to the train for my commute, I walk to the store because I don't have a car. I live across the street from the park and enjoy running 5 days per week. I can't stand sitting still except for when I'm eating. I eat and maintain at 2200-2400 per day. 31, F, 119lbs, 5'4". Most days I end up with 18K-20K steps plus whatever swimming and biking I may choose to do that day.

I personally spend zero time food prepping. I eat frozen dinners, cereal, PB&J, etc or I eat out/get take out. I travel 15 days a month for work and eat a lot of prepackaged food or I eat out on those days. I rely on a very active lifestyle, making time for exercise even when I'm tired, and a firm belief in everything in moderation and CICO.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about finding time, it's about having to take that time away from other things. I had hoped to get back to practicing piano this summer. Maybe do some writing. Those are things I haven't had time for because I've spent it at work or play practice, visiting family or friends, or meal prepping or at the gym. There's not enough time for everything.

This is definitely true. I'm lucky that most of my friends love hiking, so we can use the same block of time to socialize, experience natural beauty, and gay some exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Options

This is definitely true. I'm lucky that most of my friends love hiking, so we can use the same block of time to socialize, experience natural beauty, and gay some exercise.

...And you all have a gay ol time :tongue: :wink:

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    ifbi4tb0n77l.jpg
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Again, no one here is saying they cannot find time to do 30 minutes a day, are they?

Not sure, there are 6 pages of comments. However in virtually every study done on the topic, lack of time/busy schedule is on of the top reasons people give as to why they don't exercise.

My point is there is a lot of sedentary/exclusive screen time going on the in US and the not exercising is a choice, not a lack of time for many.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

@Christine_72 I do the same thing! Except the workout is weight-lifting and I use the loooong threads to help me get adequate rest in between sets. Otherwise I rush them. :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

@Christine_72 I do the same thing! Except the workout is weight-lifting and I use the loooong threads to help me get adequate rest in between sets. Otherwise I rush them. :smiley:

Haha Good thinking!

I often skim read the long threads when I'm sitting infront of the computer, but i read every post when I'm walking, as i make a deal with myself that i can't stop until I've read the entiiiirrre thread.. It's a decision I've regretted a few times when I'm hanging for that last page to come, and then realise there's still 10 more to go :weary:

People here talk too much :lol:

• Christine_72
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

People here talk too much :lol:

Says the woman with 14,000 + posts to her name! :lol::lol::lol:

Bahaha Touche' :laugh: