WANTED: Opinions on vegetarian/vegan diet

Options

Replies

• dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @nevadavis1 that's awesome!!! My goal is to be eating healthy Whole Foods as well, I have come a long way from the last time I tried to be vegan
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    I don't think you should label yourself as one thing or another. Just be aware of what you are putting in your body and the way it affects you. Just care about yourself.
    Thank you, this is good advice. I never label myself politically, religiously, etc so I shouldn't here either.
  • jhildebrandt73
    jhildebrandt73 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should label yourself as one thing or another. Just be aware of what you are putting in your body and the way it affects you. Just care about yourself.

"Just care about yourself" seems like a potentially empty way to go through life. What if I also want to care about other individuals and the impact I have on them?

You mistook my meaning. By no means only care about yourself. But if you have a child, and you love them, you want the best for them. You care about them. Why would you not do the same for yourself. We all need to love each other more.

Apologies for misunderstanding you.

As someone who claims the label "vegan," I do it because I think it's important to have a word that describes opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. When it comes to movements for political, ideological, or social change, having terms to describe different positions can be useful.

As a minor point of personal convenience, having a label to describe a lifestyle of avoiding animal products also makes it easier for me to purchase food, clothing, and personal care products. So I like it for that reason also.

Good point. I just don't like labels as they are a way to segregate people. To put them in a box and stereotype the lot. But that is the way we are hardwired. Before you even get to know someone you have already labelled them. For instance I could tell you I'm a white, male, 3x divorcee, veteran, vegan, Jehovah's Witness and immediately you will subconsciously create a profile of me based on your previous experiences with any of those groups.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    @YvetteK2015 awesome advice and I completely agree! I have already decided I will be vegetarian, it's vegan that is hard. Last time I was vegan I was very unhealthy as there are many junk foods that are vegan *ahem* Oreos...
    So if anyone has any delicious vegan recipes please share those here as well!

I watched a documentary on veganism before. Someone was just starting out the lifestyle. And this woman who had been a vegan for some time was taking this new girl around the supermarket showing her everything that was "vegan". I remember the first thing she showed her was Oreo cookies. Thinking back on it, she showed her a lot of what would be considered "junk food" when really she should have been showing her things like great sources of protein. However, I do remember her showing the girl soy yogurt. But for the most part, she was being shown treats, basically to say, I think, "look at all the yummy things you can have as a vegan".

I guess that's not completely bad, but I do remember thinking that I wish they showed more nutritious food as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @YvetteK2015 awesome advice and I completely agree! I have already decided I will be vegetarian, it's vegan that is hard. Last time I was vegan I was very unhealthy as there are many junk foods that are vegan *ahem* Oreos...

I watched a documentary on veganism before. Someone was just starting out the lifestyle. And this woman who had been a vegan for some time was taking this new girl around the supermarket showing her everything that was "vegan". I remember the first thing she showed her was Oreo cookies. Thinking back on it, she showed her a lot of what would be considered "junk food" when really she should have been showing her things like great sources of protein. However, I do remember her showing the girl soy yogurt. But for the most part, she was being shown treats, basically to say, I think, "look at all the yummy things you can have as a vegan".

I guess that's not completely bad, but I do remember thinking that I wish they showed more nutritious food as well.

Many people are under the impression that being vegan means giving up tasty foods, which is why you'll see this focus in some outreach materials. Not that meeting your nutritional needs isn't important (it is), but if I was eating cookies or chips as a non-vegan, showing me which cookies and chips I can eat as a vegan will be an important part of a successful transition.
  • jhildebrandt73
    jhildebrandt73 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think regardless of how meat affects our bodies, we have to look at how unsustainable the meat industry is becoming. Agriculture isn't doing much better with it's dependence on Corn and Soy. Something has to change.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

Many people are under the impression that being vegan means giving up tasty foods, which is why you'll see this focus in some outreach materials. Not that meeting your nutritional needs isn't important (it is), but if I was eating cookies or chips as a non-vegan, showing me which cookies and chips I can eat as a vegan will be an important part of a successful transition.

I do agree with you 100% in what you just said. But being that this was a "documentary" showing a new person how to pick food for someone who is new to the lifestyle (I'm sure hoping people would watch this and also consider making the switch) it just occurred to me that focus was more on the treats, but where was the rest of the diet? lol

Like I said, they did show some things, but it definitely wasn't a 50-50 split. More like 80-20. But I guess there are other sources of info out there for just that reason.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses, very insightful
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    My ex is vegan for animal rights reasons. I respect that but I can see that you can eat vegan and still not eat in a healthy way. Her hair is falling out.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    My ex is vegan for animal rights reasons. I respect that but I can see that you can eat vegan and still not eat in a healthy way. Her hair is falling out.

Even being a vegan, you still have to hit a minimum calorie goal (which she might not be doing if her hair is falling out) and hit your macros for good health.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    her calories were high. Don't think macros were looked at.....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Documentaries are entertainment. They only show you experts that agree with their idea and they show you dramatic stories that play with your emotions while NOT showing you anything that doesn't 100% agree.

I actually make it a point NOT to watch documentaries, because I know my emotions are very easily affected by video media (I will actually sometimes cry at product commercials lol) and I don't want to be manipulated into changing my opinion on something.

I've never seen any unbiased evidence that a vegetarian diet is inherently healthier than an omnivore's, though I do think many people would be healthier if they ate more veggies and fiber and less meat and cheese.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

When I started on MFP (mind you, i'm not a vegan) I was only concerned about hitting my calorie goal. I never, ever looked at my macros. Now, almost a year later, I realize how important they are. I think I probably never hit my protein goal in the beginning, because I know I have to really work to hit it now. I also have to work to hit my fat goal. I could hit my calorie goal, but still be under in my protein, so I have to work to make sure that doesn't happen.

I hope your gf can get this straightened out. I wish her the best of luck. She may want to see a registered dietician.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It could be not getting enough lysine. It's an essential amino acid, a type of protein. Vegans who don't eat legumes often don't get enough of it. Someone could be getting enough protein on paper, but still be short in a specific amino acid and this could cause issues. For vegans who eat a well-rounded diet including sources of lysine, it's not something to worry about (I track all my amino acids because I'm a nerd and I've never had a day where I haven't met the need). But it's possible for other vegans to fall short in it. Lysine is needed to metabolize iron and zinc, so not getting enough can lead to additional issues.

• YvetteK2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Documentaries are entertainment. They only show you experts that agree with their idea and they show you dramatic stories that play with your emotions while NOT showing you anything that doesn't 100% agree.

I actually make it a point NOT to watch documentaries, because I know my emotions are very easily affected by video media (I will actually sometimes cry at product commercials lol) and I don't want to be manipulated into changing my opinion on something.

I've never seen any unbiased evidence that a vegetarian diet is inherently healthier than an omnivore's, though I do think many people would be healthier if they ate more veggies and fiber and less meat and cheese.

The documentaries that I tend to watch the most are on cancer, because I had cancer at one time. I've seen a few where doctors have put patients on specific vegan diets (and I'm not blasting the vegan diet here, I'm blasting the doctors) to "cure" the cancer. I think in at least one of these, the woman didn't want chemo because she was so sure the diet was going to work. The first 2 years she didn't look too bad, but she wasn't getting better. Year 3 she was looking bad, and by year 4 she died. I don't mind doctors recommending an "anti-cancer" diet to help PREVENT certain types of cancers, but once you prescribe one as treatment, it makes me want to scream. There is so much hope in these patients at the beginning, and you just see the hope slowly fade away. It's so sad. I don't know how these doctors get away with it. I don't know how it's not malpractice.
  • dancefit2015
    Options

It could be not getting enough lysine. It's an essential amino acid, a type of protein. Vegans who don't eat legumes often don't get enough of it. Someone could be getting enough protein on paper, but still be short in a specific amino acid and this could cause issues. For vegans who eat a well-rounded diet including sources of lysine, it's not something to worry about (I track all my amino acids because I'm a nerd and I've never had a day where I haven't met the need). But it's possible for other vegans to fall short in it. Lysine is needed to metabolize iron and zinc, so not getting enough can lead to additional issues.
    How do you track your amino acids?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

How do you track your amino acids?

You can check it on some websites like nutritiondata.self.com for the things you eat. While most meat is complete protein (i.e. has all the essential amino acids), many vegetables are not, making variety important.
  • lgfaciane
    lgfaciane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Follow jordanshrinks on instagram or watch high carb Hannah on YouTube