HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• bluekarou
    bluekarou Posts: 14 Member
    Bump
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    I've been reading the forums here for ages and never felt the need to join in...but WOW you ladies are inspirational! So fantastic to see so many strong and healthy women (who also look flippin' amazing). Can't wait to start heavy lifting again when I join my new gym next month.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited June 2017
    y4b0r8q0b53a.jpg

Edited- struggled with my bump!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2017
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited June 2017
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Why did you delete? If she's using stolen pictures, the moderators should be made aware.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    This is the most inspirational thread on MFP :-)
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Great! we need to bust the misconception NOW that women that lift will get bulky. So not true and your after pic shows, way to go!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    You look glorious. <3
    It is truely amazing what a year of dedication can do. (I wish I had it)

Cheers, h.
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hello. I am in need of advice or help, or both. About 5 years ago, I lost 40 pounds. I honestly ate a little better and only exercised a little as well. So...fast forward to today. I have been heavy lifting (following a program from bodybuilding.com) for the past 7 weeks. I have also been eating fairly healthy. I do allow myself one "cheat" meal a week. On average I work out 6 days a week for about 40 minutes and I almost always eat about 500 calories less than maintenance.

I have not lost one single ounce. Not one. I weigh myself weekly and the scale has not budged. I did not take measurements before starting the weight lifting, but I don't feel like I've lost many inches (judging by how my clothes fit). Now, I do FEEL better and healthy and definitely stronger, but I really, really need and want to lose about 50 pounds. I feel like I am killing myself at the gym.

Can someone take a look at my diary for the past few weeks and let me know what I may be doing wrong.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for any advice or words of wisdom.

P.S. I did already post this in the other encouragement forum, but I also wanted to put it here since I am heavy lifting. Thanks!

Amanda
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    AmandaJ12 wrote: »
    Hello. I am in need of advice or help, or both. About 5 years ago, I lost 40 pounds. I honestly ate a little better and only exercised a little as well. So...fast forward to today. I have been heavy lifting (following a program from bodybuilding.com) for the past 7 weeks. I have also been eating fairly healthy. I do allow myself one "cheat" meal a week. On average I work out 6 days a week for about 40 minutes and I almost always eat about 500 calories less than maintenance.

I have not lost one single ounce. Not one. I weigh myself weekly and the scale has not budged. I did not take measurements before starting the weight lifting, but I don't feel like I've lost many inches (judging by how my clothes fit). Now, I do FEEL better and healthy and definitely stronger, but I really, really need and want to lose about 50 pounds. I feel like I am killing myself at the gym.

Can someone take a look at my diary for the past few weeks and let me know what I may be doing wrong.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for any advice or words of wisdom.

P.S. I did already post this in the other encouragement forum, but I also wanted to put it here since I am heavy lifting. Thanks!

Amanda

What is your height and weight? I'm going to look at your diary now. :)
  • AmandaJ12
    edited June 2017

Hi, I am 5'7 and I weigh 230
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2017
    Crankstr wrote: »
    AMAZING!

you-rock-desi-glitters-17.gif

Sorry if this has been said before, but I'm a bit weirded out by "toe socks" -- that's all. Carry on, everyone.
  • AmandaJ12
    Do you use a food scale and log EVERYTHING?

ETA: Yep, looked at your diary. Get a food scale. For example, 1 scoop of my protein powder according to the label is 28 grams. But if I fill the scoop, it's anywhere from 34-41 grams.

I log everything but I do not have a food scale. I am ordering one as we "type".
  • AmandaJ12
    Thanks everyone!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

I log everything but I do not have a food scale. I am ordering one as we "type".

Sweet. You'll be amazed!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member

Hi, I am 5'7 and I weigh 230

I was just about to upload the infographic that @quiksylver296 uploaded - as that is a GREAT place to start. (See above.)

In looking through your diary, if you are truly logging every single thing that enters your mouth (all foods, all drinks, every bite, lick, taste, nibble, etc.) and you are using a food scale to weigh everything that is solid or semi solid before logging, I can understand your frustration. Are you using a food scale?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!