Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-July 2011

Replies

• AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Hi Ladies,

Great catching up on how everyone is doing. Needless to say, busy, busy, busy here! The weeks are just flying by. I'm feeling the 12 hour shifts at work more than ever. So completely exhausted all day long. The long days will inevitably end with me snoozing on the couch by 9:30 pm!

Just back from my 32 week prenatal (and my son's 15 month check up). My fundus is still measuring two weeks ahead however my weight gain is still on target. Up 30 pounds. I've got about 8 weeks left in this pregnancy so I'll obviously be in the higher range of normal weight gain but I'm ok with that. As long as I don't gain 54 like the first time I'm ahead of the game for taking it off afterwards.

Despite the long days (sitting) in the office my ankles have remained relatively normal - minor swelling the odd day. That pleases me greatly (especially during shorts and sundress season).

Heather - You asked about maternity photos. My sister is a professional photographer and she's offered to do mine again for this pregnancy. They're booked mid-August when I'm just over 34 weeks. Really glad I did them the first time (she also did photos of my son at 3 days old and one year old) and I consider myself very lucky it's a perk of being sisters with a pro! It can be very costly.

Here's a sample of me at 34 weeks in March 2010 pregnant with Colby:

IMG_0730DesktopResolution.jpg

Well, off to finish Colby's baby book (just doing a 12 month calendar with photos and keeping a memory box as life goes on) so I can be ready to start #2's when the time comes...

Side note: We're having a tough time with boys names. Pretty sure about a girls name however. Hmmm, between that and how high I'm carrying this time around I think I'm having a girl. At any rate we can't wait to find out!

Take care Mamas.

~ Amy
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I have asthma and because I don't want to use my emergency inhaler at all in the first 6 months, I am only doing brisk walking. The area I live in has a lot of hills so I usually burn about 250-400 per walk pushing my 35 lb son in his bugaboo. During my last pregnancy I did the Erin O'Brian DVDs and LOVED THEM. But I leant them to a friend of mine when she was pregnant and haven't gotten them back yet. I may buy another copy and start doing them after my move in 2 weeks. To be honest though, its kinda difficult to schedule in even dvd workouts when you are pregnant, have a 2.5 year old, and working part time. I feel like if I can walk 2-4 miles a day, I'm doing pretty good though!
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Sabrinafaith - I hear you! I love Erin O'Brien DVD's, too. But somehow stroller walks are just enough these days. You're doing great!
  • sabrinafaith
    thanks 911girl!
  • sabrinafaith
    has anyone tried gin gins hard candies for morning sickness??? or preggie pops????
  • Everything is a guideline:) We all do what we need to or want to and that is it....we are all Mom's anyway-we try to do what is best and sometimes, we are not.........Perfect!!!! My first pregancy I did everything by the book, this time around, I had cold cuts, and some raw fish, I figured it was from a good place w/ great scores so why not!!?!?!?
    As for the old wives tales, when I was prego w/ my son Cameron, I carried weight everywhere and gained 44 pounds.
    I am all belly with this little girl Samantha and am up just 25 pounds and only have 6.5 weeks to go....I hope to only gain another 5, which will not be the case if I eat everynight the way I did last night!!!!!
    I am going to look up the Bradley method so I know what you are talking about!:drinker:
  • Pieces_of_Me3
    Pieces_of_Me3 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the waxing tips! I'm thinking this might be my last visit to the waxing spa for, oh,...8 months! haha.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 806 Member
    Amy I'm so happy to see you! Glad everything is going well. Love the pic! You are seriously ALL belly! I wish I could say the same for me. I've decided to go ahead and do the maternity pics but will be doing a regular photo shoot including the hubby maybe out in nature somewhere with a few bare belly shots (as long as it doesn't look like I got in a fight with a cougar of course).

Nicole I totally agree with you! I think depending on who you talk to and what study you read depends on what is believed to be right and wrong during pregnancy....like for example, your heart rate during workouts. Some docs still believe in the old school thinking to not go over 140bpm, while more modern doctors realize that it is outdated data and going with perceived exertion instead.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    has anyone tried gin gins hard candies for morning sickness??? or preggie pops????

Mint cough drops worked wonders for me.
  • sabrinafaith
    wanted to see if my new pregnancy ticker shows up!
  • sabrinafaith
    is it still working?

YAY!!!!!!
  • biokim17
    biokim17 Posts: 21 Member
    Went for my first ultrasound today. We saw that baby, and heard its heart beat! It was amazing!

Question: Does anyone have experience with prenatal massage? I get regular massages ever 6 weeks, but was curious how often a prenatal massage can/should be done.
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    biokim17 - I have done regular massage every three weeks and continued up until just recently (I'm 35 weeks). I've skipped my last two due to scheduling issues. I did regular massage until somewhere in my 4th month when it just wasn't comfortable to be on my back or stomach. At that point my massage therapist had me start laying on my side and he propped me with pillows. I have to say, it's not quite the same deep massage that I enjoyed prior to pregnancy, but still helps to keep me healthy for work (I'm a dental hygienist). I will be getting back for least one more session prior to delivery. My doctor has been okay with massage and only warned that sometimes women get more nauseous in the first trimester, although I did not experience that. I've just done the same as I've done with exercise and listened to my body - if the massage feels wrong, I let my practitioner know.

Heather- sorry the heat is so bad for you - can you try to send some our way?? We've only had FOUR DAYS that have hit the 80 degree mark this year and after the first three the weather people said it only stayed at 80 for 78 minutes. So very, very sad!!

Lexi - my goodness girl! Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I was really worried about you - sounds like you've come to some resolution and hopefully the stress is reducing. If I remember correctly you only have two quarters of school left - it will go so fast and then you can be back with your hubby again. The road in life can be super rocky sometimes, but you are a strong, intelligent woman and I know you will come out better on the other side. Take care of that little one, okay?

Amy - so happy to see you again! You are looking great! I'm up 27-28 pounds at this point so think I will be coming closer to the 35 pound gain too. I'm all belly myself, but still keep thinking this is a boy that I am carrying. I guess I will know soon enough ;-) If you are measuring two weeks early.....we could end up with similar delivery dates...

Enjoy seeing all the new faces here - good luck with the fitness and nutrition goals and I look forward to getting to know you.

Holly
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    I have to share that i am may be fortunate for the second time and not have any nausea or vomiting during this pregnancy. If everything is on target I am 9 weeks. Next appointment is 8-13, the Dr said he would be able to measure the baby and know for sure my due date.

I have no energy though, and everything is tiring me.

We are going on vacation 8-15 to Lake Tahoe, I am worried of the long drive but the hubby said we're not in a hurry to get there. So potty & stretch breaks are on my schedule. ;)
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Lunarokra: I'm not sure how long your drive is but during the 4th of July weekend we drove 11 hours to Buffalo,NY I was 15 weeks pregnant and it was fine. We did stop a little more for bathroom breaks and to stretch but it was great. So good luck:)
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    I don't have my first doctor's appointment until August 22nd. I'll be just over 9 weeks by then. I'll get my first ultrasound then. (excited!!) The Naval hospital where we're stationed doesn't have an OB department or ultrasound equipment so they referred me to a civilian doctor, which I'm actually kind of happy about. Well, the crappy part is, Tricare (the Navy's medical insurance) will only pay for that 1 ultrasound. They say that the 2nd one is only to find out what it is and isn't necessary. What a load of CRAP!! I can, however, drive 1.5-2 hours to DC to one of the Naval clinics there and have my 2nd one done and it's covered. I will definitely be doing that. It's just so frustrating with the military sometimes. UGH! Maybe my doc will be able to work something out with Tricare since I'm considered high risk. We'll see I guess. I'm actually surprised they don't do the first appointment till 8-10 weeks.

NIchole - My husband has family in Ashville and we've been wanting to drive over there. It's about an 8 hour drive for us. We'll be going in September for a wedding. I've never been and am really looking forward to it. My husband said it's a really cool place. Have fun! :)

Well, hope everyone has a super day! :)
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 806 Member
    Luna, gotta love that first trimester fatigue! This is easier said than done, but I truly believe that I had more energy because I pushed through and made myself workout at least a couple times a week. I'd feel so much better and would sleep wonderfully at night. What is your favorite workout? It is easier to make ourselves do something we actually enjoy, even if we are tired. Lake tahoe sounds fun!

Holly I'd trade with you in a heartbeat! 70s sounds ahhhhmazing right now! Where do you live again? I think my bags are packed and I'm headed that way! lol

biokim I've gotten 1 prenatal massage. It was nice (except the girl talked way too much). I am like Holly and miss my deep massage. I liked to ache the day after I got a massage cause I knew they got deep into the muscle! But it was relaxing and I plan on trying another girl who hopefully isn't a chatter box!

Well I went ahead and did the yoga class last night. It was nice and I think I will add it to my weekly workouts. So between my walk, an hour of tracy anderson method, and yoga I burned almost 900 calories and I can tell today! I just finished my normal breakfast of 2 eggs, a bowl of oatmeal w/cinnamon, and an orange and I'm starving already! lol Guess today is just gonna be one of those hungry days!

So question for you ladies, I read an article about banning children at certain places like restaurants and movie theaters except for certain days and times. What are your thoughts on this?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    hi guys!!!!! i just found out im pregnant 5 weeks they think.......im nervous about continue to work out
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Hey everyone. Just checking in.

Lexi, sorry to hear about all your stress but it sounds like you have it figured out, even if it may not be your most desired situation right now; it will all work out in the end. Good for you for sticking with school and everything. I hear ya on the finances. About half of my maternity leave (if I take the full 12 weeks which I intend to) will be covered by my accrued vacation and sick time and the other unpaid. We are a 2 income household and make about the same amount so it kind of makes a difference when half a pay check isn't there. We have done some things that will work out though like Flex account. I put $100 tax deferred money into an account each pay period which will reimburse me for medical expenses. I think they will not reimburse me until after I deliver so it's kind of acting like a savings account. That and we're trying to set aside money when we can to cover my time off. Plus, I figure we won't be out spending much money with a newborn. Anyways, sorry to ramble, but I hear ya on the financial stress. I don't even want to think about child care; I hear it is about $200 a week where I live for an infant. Crap.....

Amy, your prego shot is super cute....all belly. I hope I end up like that.

Heather sounds like you are killing it on the workouts as usual. I know what you mean about the workouts making you feel better. Dont' get me wrong. There have been days I have come home and not done anything b/c I've been tired. But typically if I go workout, I feel better and sleep amazing. I ran 2 miles and did a little strength last and after I was on my feet about 45 minutes cooking dinner I was worn out, feet hurt and felt like I'd been standing all day. And I fell right asleep around 1030 and only woke up to pee at 3. It really does make a difference in how I feel I think. I am glad I have been able to keep it up.

Also Heather, as for your question, I did not read the article yet, but I pretty much disagree with anything that takes rights away from people. And that is across the board even if I don't agree with the freedome that a person is utilizing. So I think that is dumb.

As for the workouts I've been doing, I've been getting in a 2 mile run on the mill about once a week for the last month, a mile swim once a week and usually a day of strength. I also end up walking at least once or twice a week at home and 3-4 short walks during the work day either to lunch or meetings or to drop off stuff. So I'm staying relatively active I think. My weight was down a pound again today (have been between 135 and 136 alternating each week since mid June) so I am sitting at 1.5 pound gain at almost 14 weeks. I think this is absolutely crazy because I bet I have gained at least 5 inches on my belly although my pants still fit; I am carrying high. But my body absolutely looks different. I am wondering if I am losing weight elsewhere and it is offsetting my gain. At my last dr. appointment 3 weeks ago, my dr. said I shouldn't be gaining that much weight by my next apoinment (next Thursday) so until she tells me I need to gain, I will be okay with my back and forth and hovering. I expect to start packing on the pounds in the coming weeks though. Bring it....I am ready to look prego!

Welcome to all the new people! The board has become so much more active; it makes me happy. . :smile:

The work week is almost over! Hope you all have a great day.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    :blushing: Oh wow...that was really long. Sorry....
This discussion has been closed.