What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are so, so many. But lately, as I'm creeping up into my late 20's, I want to be able to have a healthy family with my soon to be husband. I want to be healthy and maintain healthy habits. When I have children, I want to be able to give them healthy habits. I don't want them to have to basically learn how to live like I did. I think of how much I've struggled, not just with food, but basic hygiene and cleanliness into my early adulthood and it didn't have to be that way. I just didn't ever have a stable adult in my life to give me direction. I want to be that for my future children, so I've had to make a lot of changes.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    HazyEyes93 wrote: »
    There are so, so many. But lately, as I'm creeping up into my late 20's, I want to be able to have a healthy family with my soon to be husband. I want to be healthy and maintain healthy habits. When I have children, I want to be able to give them healthy habits. I don't want them to have to basically learn how to live like I did. I think of how much I've struggled, not just with food, but basic hygiene and cleanliness into my early adulthood and it didn't have to be that way. I just didn't ever have a stable adult in my life to give me direction. I want to be that for my future children, so I've had to make a lot of changes.

Sounds like an excellent reason to me. Thank you for sharing.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    5.25 miles today. Increased the distance. The first 3 miles hurt. Legs were tight, shins and ankles were cramping up. About the time I hit mile 3 everything started to loosen up and I could get into a good rhythm. 5 more weeks until the Bolder Boulder!
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I developed plantar fascitis....it's very painful, so I'm hoping by dropping to a normal weight, my feet will go back to normal. Trying to avoid the surgery and steroid shots.
  • brittany82872
    brittany82872 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of living life according to my weight. It's holding me back because I always have to question if I can do something because of it.
  • Lrlong82
    Lrlong82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My husband and I recently went on a cruise to the Bahamas. One of the excursions we went on was a 2 mile kayak tour. This was both of our first time and quite an experience. I remember being more than half way through and looking around at all of the water. Water in front of me, behind me, to the left and to the right. And then it hit me, I couldn't stop paddling if I wanted to. There was a distination I had to get to and that was how I was going to get there. I couldn't turn around. I couldn't walk away. I didn't have my car near by to drive off. And even if I stopped paddling, that would have really only been a break because I had to press on in order to get to my destination. I'll admit that I felt some anxiety about that for a second, like I was stuck in the middle of no where. But as I continued to paddle the anxiety subsided because I was back working towards my distination.
    I consider that the WHY for my weight loss needs to be like the distination on that kayak tour, do or die. Not that I was in any real or imminent danger of dying or that I want to be! I just want a reason that demands that I continue with healthy living. Even if I want to stop, or give up, if I lose my motivation or even lose support from others, I want a WHY that requires that I keep going inspite of because the only way I am going accomplish that WHY is to press on.
    With that being said, I honestly don't know WHY I'm doing this. Granted, there are numerous and unmeasurable benefits, all of them already posted. And I hope to experience them, all of them. I am tired of starting and stopping. I'm tired of "dieting". But as I read through all the reasons listed, I felt no since of urgency within myself. Nothing that I felt would hold my attention longer than a year.
    Heard this one day and I loved it "I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just doing it"! So I guess my WHY for right now is "might as well ". When and if it changes, and I hope it does so that I can have a reason to stay this course, then I'll let you know.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Lrlong82 wrote: »
    My husband and I recently went on a cruise to the Bahamas. One of the excursions we went on was a 2 mile kayak tour. This was both of our first time and quite an experience. I remember being more than half way through and looking around at all of the water. Water in front of me, behind me, to the left and to the right. And then it hit me, I couldn't stop paddling if I wanted to. There was a distination I had to get to and that was how I was going to get there. I couldn't turn around. I couldn't walk away. I didn't have my car near by to drive off. And even if I stopped paddling, that would have really only been a break because I had to press on in order to get to my destination. I'll admit that I felt some anxiety about that for a second, like I was stuck in the middle of no where. But as I continued to paddle the anxiety subsided because I was back working towards my distination.
    I consider that the WHY for my weight loss needs to be like the distination on that kayak tour, do or die. Not that I was in any real or imminent danger of dying or that I want to be! I just want a reason that demands that I continue with healthy living. Even if I want to stop, or give up, if I lose my motivation or even lose support from others, I want a WHY that requires that I keep going inspite of because the only way I am going accomplish that WHY is to press on.
    With that being said, I honestly don't know WHY I'm doing this. Granted, there are numerous and unmeasurable benefits, all of them already posted. And I hope to experience them, all of them. I am tired of starting and stopping. I'm tired of "dieting". But as I read through all the reasons listed, I felt no since of urgency within myself. Nothing that I felt would hold my attention longer than a year.
    Heard this one day and I loved it "I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just doing it"! So I guess my WHY for right now is "might as well ". When and if it changes, and I hope it does so that I can have a reason to stay this course, then I'll let you know.

What an awesome response. Thank you for sharing that with all of us. I truly believe that you will keep going and your true Why will emerge itself when it is ready.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I developed plantar fascitis....it's very painful, so I'm hoping by dropping to a normal weight, my feet will go back to normal. Trying to avoid the surgery and steroid shots.

Have you tried KT Tape for your plantar fascitis?
    https://youtu.be/WTSOQg680mc
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy for my kids. Recently, like, 5 people I know have been diagosed with diabetes. It scares the crap out of me. I want to be as healthy as I can be, especially since I'm considered middle aged now. Once you hit your mid 40s, sadly, stuff starts breaking down.
  • diane4734
    diane4734 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My why is simple. My mother has always been obese. Always struggling with her food addiction. Growing up with the fat teacher mom wasn't easy. I didn't want that for my sons. Now in her 60's her body is breaking down. I too have been over weight. Pregnancy was ruff, when I ate I didn't feel sick. At 21 I found myself at 235 pounds. I gained 70 pounds in 9 months. I went on a quest to figure out nutrition and exercise. It really was a surprise how much I had been doing wrong. Now in my 40's it's still a commitment to stay healthy. Yes I struggle, as do we all.
  • hkincaid87
    hkincaid87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have so many 'whys'. To live better, to live longer, to be a good role model for my 4 year old, to feel better physically and mentally, to not be 'the fat girl' or hear you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight or you have such a pretty face, to be able to be proud of myself and feel like I've actually accomplished something in my life, to wear cute clothes and turn peoples heads (in a good way).

Its very hard, all my life I have been the only fat person in my family. My mother was constantly after me to loose weight and eat right cause she didn't want to have a fat daughter. I didn't do anything but make it worse. Now I am a mom of a very active 4 year old and I just cant keep up. I just started my journey (again) 3 days ago, I went to the gym for the first time and my daughter asked why we were going and I told her to make my tummy smaller, she cried and said she doesn't want my tummy smaller, she likes to cuddle it (lol). I have to do this, im just too tired of my life not too, and the older I get the harder its going to be so there is no time like the present. My first weigh in is on Monday, I am hoping for a big number!
  • fewkesk1
    fewkesk1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My health - not your ordinary "want to feel better" or "lose a few pounds" health, but "if I don't get something going I will likely suffer till I die" health. I have a 30+ year chronic illness, and with it came other chronic conditions as secondary and tertiary to the main issue. My heart is the most recent to start failing, though it is abnormal in size and shape now, could not be prevented, and can't be fixed, it can be helped. All I have to do is find away around the life-saving, weight inducing medications that I must take. I've struggled with weight most of my life, I'm built like an apple, I take steroids to live, but I'm not ready to give up and after 30 years I finally found a doctor willing to help me lose some weight to help my heart be as strong as it can be, and hopefully not suffer to badly the rest of my life. I hope this site will help me help myself.
  • jennypenny6375
    jennypenny6375 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to be healthier and lose weight for a long time. But my WHY was never strong enough, I suppose.
    THEN I got Lyme disease and my life went haywire...
    My WHY now is to lose weight, eat better, get overall heathier so my Lyme doesn't control my life. I'm now eating healthier, drinking lots of water, being more active. I do this because it makes my body feel better. I have less joint pains and other symptoms of Lyme now that I am putting good healthy things in my body, staying hydrated, and losing weight. The depression I've had for most of my adult life is even getting better.
    My WHY became about whether I was going to hurt so badly I wanted to die everyday or take control of my life and do something to lessen the stranglehold Lyme has had over me.
    I'm not saying that the disease is gone, I don't have any pain, or that I don't have bad days. But less than two months in on making some lifestyle changes and I already feel more improvement and better quality of life than I thought I'd ever have again. I've still got a very long way to go, but I have a very important reason to make it work this time...
    My WHY became about saving myself...
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options

This is round two on MFP after having lost over 55 lbs in 2011. Went back to bad habits and gained it all back.

Why this time? Because I'm going to do things differently when I reach my weight goal this time. It isn't a finish line, it's a beginning.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I love reading all your reasons why. Keep them coming.
  • adriannenan
    adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Such a great topic. I completely agree that in the past I've failed because it was all about looks. And the moment I fit into those jeans, or that dress, my motivation disappeared, out like a light. I've lost and regained the same 60lbs more times than I care to admit (and probably could even remember). This time however, my why is a lot bigger than a new outfit.

Late last year, my mother too was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a disease that runs in our family and since it hit so much closer to home this time. For the past year, I've watched her struggle so much more with her eating and health, that it has literally broken me. I know it's time to make a change. My mom and grandmother have struggled throughout my life with various diseases and ailments. I'm to young to be dealing with the same issues they didn't have until their 50's. So here's my BIGGER why....

I want to deny the diseases that have taken some of the women closest to me in my family the opportunity to take my life.
    I want to be an example for my niece and remaining family members that overcoming obesity is possible and that it's NEVER to late to start.
    Should I ever have children, I don't want them to be led down a path of self-destruction that I will have to try and redirect and feel shame that I led them there in the first place.
    I want to honor my God by honoring the tempe he has given me.

There is no hoping that it will stick this time, come hell or high water, this is my life and I will not allow it to be taken from me.
  • vhicks2006
    vhicks2006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name's Vanessa and I am 29 years old, married with 4 children.
    What kicked me into gear was my cardiologist telling me I was going into heart failure.
    I was swollen up to my waist with fluid.
    At 29 years old!!!!
    Granted, I already have congenital heart disease from a congenital defect, there's no reason I should be going into heart failure.
    I've tried many times before without motivation and hearing this did it.
    I want to breathe again, I want to be able to wear my old clothes again, I want to be able to run and play with my kids without having trouble breathing, and I want to not worry about my blood pressure, heart, and sugar.
    My cardiologist started me on medicine to remove the fluid, curve my hunger, and lower my blood pressure 1 week ago.
    I already feel better and lighter!
    To top it off I've been under my calorie and sodium goal!
    I started at 216 last Friday morning and I'll be weighing in again on Friday.
    My goal weight is 130!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    These are some great reasons why. When you figure out why you want to be healthier, I mean truly and undeniably certain, it makes all the difference in the world. I'm not talking about the numbers on the scale or what your body fat percentage is. I'm talking about knowing that you are doing all you can to be healthier all the way around. To hopefully get off of certain medications, to be able to play with your kids without being winded or hurting yourself, to be able to love free. That to me, is what it is all about.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I have been struggling the past few weeks and have even lost my reason why. Frustrating for sure. One minute everything seems great, and the next, poof, don't care. I have been too relaxed with my nutrition, hit or mss with my workouts, and I am feeling it. I had a nice 6 days off, which helped. but now trying to get back into the habit of things is proving difficult.