July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. Starting back with my local Road Race Series group this month and it seemed like a good time to get back with this on-line group as well. July starts with 2 5Ks; next month is 2 5miles ... culminates in 2 1/2 marathons in November before the St. Jude in December. Most of my miles were treadmill over the winter, more because I was spending a lot of time at the gym than anything else. Looking forward to getting back outside. My goal is 80 for this month, but I hope to expand that. Looking forward to this!

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  1     4.0        4.0 

• SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    July goal 60 miles

July 1: 5.3 miles

July total: 5.3 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I'm in for 80 miles this month, should be fairly easy, I have a marathon in a week and 1 day, ahhh.

Still struggling with how to carry my energy chews, bought a hydration pack, I love it, but it won't work for my marathon. So I went and bought some shorts with 1 good sized pocket, will try them this weekend to see what all I can put on it, ugh.

How does everyone else carry their GUs and chews, etc. I'm slow so I'll be out there for 5 1/2 to 6 hours, all aid stations will have gatorade, and 3 will have GUs, so I'm not sure how much to bring. I have a friend who I was suppose to do this race with, but she injured her knee, so she's volunteering, and will be manning the aid station at mile 9.5 I guess, so I could probably have her have some things for me so I don't have to carry it all the whole way. Thoughts?

I met a woman that safety pined her's inside her shorts. Said it just rips out. I have a Given, supposed to be wrist band, but I put it on my ankle. It will hold a few, maybe 3. What about a spibelt or something of the like?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run

July total to date – 14.00

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – The plan was to pace 13 miles for the 8:30 pace group, then do another mile on my own. There were only two guys in my pack. One was a guy who can't run 8:30 for long distances; he just hung with us for 3 miles to the water stop because he wanted to do something fast for him. The other is a regular, but I hadn't talked much with him before because I was pacing 8:00 and he was in the 8:30 group. Turns out he wants to be pushed to run 8:30; could have fooled me. He's a guy who had pushed the pace to 8:10 last week.

We ran the first 7 miles with nothing worse that getting wet from the rain, which let up when I wasn't paying attention. Set out of the next 6, and he managed 4 of them. Dropped him off at the store at 11 miles, and continued on for the sanctioned 13, with route adjustment to get my 14. Brought the entire 14 miles in at an average 8:24 pace, close enough. It was good to slow down; my right calf muttered a bit during mile 13, but was mostly quiet.

And that's why I pace. It's easier to slow myself down if I'm responsible for someone else.

Oh, yeah. We ran out of the store location that had packet pick up, so I picked up my packet for Firecracker Four Mile.

fiyetpwfenhf.jpg

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY)
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Main goal is to survive the Eugene Curnow Trail marathon and get more time on feet.
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 100? Maybe I'll be a @PastorVincent and set my goal at the end of the month

6/1- REST
    6/2- 11

Today's notes. Got in 11 Sweaty humid trail miles in. I was originally planning to run 12, but I got to the parking lot my mom and brother dropped me at, right as they returned, and my Garmin pegged me at exactly 11 miles, so I figired I'd call it good. Mom wants to get another mile in later, so she reaches her weekly goal, I told her I'd go with, have a nice recovery run with her later then.

Average pace was like 11:41, but I kept my average HR under 160, which is my nominal goal for trail/long runs, so I'm pretty pleased with that. Only got 955 feet of elevation, but that's OK, it was a humid run!

Equipment report: I LOVE my Ultimate Direction Jurek FKT vest! it worked great today, carrying my 2 bottles, phone, ID/CC/Insurance card, and a package of Snickers bites.

Today, I went "Ultra Mode," in that I walked 90% of the uphills, even smaller ones. This really helped my endurance. Even though I stopped at 11, I felt like I could have done the whole run again, it would have slowed down, but I had decent energy left.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I hope your phone recovers, and while I know this info is a little too late for you, I usually wrap my phone and car key in dog poop bags; small and convenient enough to hold things, while offering a substantial amount of rain and sweat protection.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @katharmonic I hope your phone recovers, and while I know this info is a little too late for you, I usually wrap my phone and car key in dog poop bags; small and convenient enough to hold things, while offering a substantial amount of rain and sweat protection.

@garygse , @katharmonic

I normally use a waterproof case (Life Proof - highly recommend) but when I got my latest phone the case was not out yet. What I do is put it in a quart sized zip lock back. I can still operate the phone through the plastic, and since I use BT headphones I do not need to worry about a hole. So far so good. :)

Though I probably should pick up the waterproof case now that it is out for my phone...
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your sister @katharmonic Your July running is inspired and inspiring. Thanks for sharing and bringing awareness. Hugs.

I covered my phone in a baggie with rice when I got it wet and it did work again! Caveat: unfortunately, it would never charge again. Still, worth a try.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    July 1: 5.36 km

Total: 5.36 km / 75 km
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Only 955 feet of elevation? Sounds like quite a bit to me. I had 18 meters on today's run lol. Great job! What's the elevation for the race you are training for?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Only 955 feet of elevation? Sounds like quite a bit to me. I had 18 meters on today's run lol. Great job! What's the elevation for the race you are training for?

If I remember correctly, I'm looking at close to 3,000 feet of elevation for the trail marathon in 2 weeks and something like 4,000 feet for the 50k in October. Hills are killer, but such a good workout.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »

Or get a waterproof phone, like mine. :grin: and separate the electronic car key from the traditional key. Tada!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/7-4.7 Miles

Total - 4.7/100

Today was not a good run. It was very humid and I started to feel weak and dizzy. Was meant to be a 5.5 run but I had to turn for home early and walk last bit :(
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Or get a waterproof phone, like mine. :grin: and separate the electronic car key from the traditional key. Tada!

Mine is waterproof also, but I still suggest a waterproof case or bag. It is a little-known fact that waterproofing on electronics can wear out with exposure. It is not universally true, but it does happen. So when I know I will be in an extra wet situation, I drop the phone in a zip lock bag. Bags are very cheap, phones not so much. :)

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your sister @katharmonic Your July running is inspired and inspiring. Thanks for sharing and bringing awareness. Hugs.

I covered my phone in a baggie with rice when I got it wet and it did work again! Caveat: unfortunately, it would never charge again. Still, worth a try.

Thank you, Rachelle <3

I have my phone in a baggie of rice right now. I'm not hopeful, but I am past due for a new phone anyway as I'm always out of memory, so I'm not as upset as I would be. Still. I really would like it to come back to life.

I don't know why I didn't think of the phone getting wet today. I guess I sincerely thought the rain had ended when I headed out. Dog poop bags are genius because I almost always have those with me. :)

• Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

exercise.png

4 miles done, this being lap 12 of my running club's 24hr relay - felt good
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Will increase goal to 100 this month. Hoping to slowly increase my long runs from 7 miles to 8 or 9 miles by the end of the month.

July1 - 4.1miles - 4.1MTD