WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Beth, for the info. Our half and half definitely has the additive. I'm not sure about my almond milk, but it probably does, too, even though it is Simple Truth organic. I'm going to research it and try to talk DH into switching brands of half and half. Y'all wish me luck with that one! You know he is a creature of habits and routines. I don't know what to do about the almond milk. I was enjoying that alternative because I thought it was healthier.

Welcome to the newbie from Middle Georgia. I read your post yesterday and have forgotten your name. I am from North Georgia, Peach is from the Atlanta area, and Grits is from South GA. There is also someone from the Augusta area that is fairly new.

Like Lisa and Sarah, I have periods where I am relatively quiet and don't say much, then I have times when I am quite active in the discussion,

June was pretty much a bust for me. I'm looking forward to July and a fresh start.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – I used to ‘hate’ hearing people say that I looked ‘just like my Mother’ because all I ever saw was a 5’2” woman wearing 350lbs+; but, I am happy that I look like my Mother because she had beautiful skin and that is something I got from her. I always thought my middle sister looked more like her; she is more like Daddy; oldest sister a mix between the 2 of them. We look like our parents because it is the luck (or not) of the draw. We can chose our friends; but, we can’t chose our family. Just because one looks like their parents doesn’t mean they ‘are’ their parents. Louis and I took what we thought were the ‘best’ qualities of our parents and tried to roll them all up together and teach our sons pretty much what they had taught us.

I wish I did not get the ‘gene’ to be bipolar; but, I did … it really was ‘on both sides of the family’ as my Mimi was driven to make her children the best they could be. Mother was reading newspapers when she was 4 years old; my uncle thought climbing the letter to the top was more important than his family. My paternal aunts and uncles have their own families and their ‘own’ set of issues. We all do.

Sorry the curtains did not fit – especially when you took the old pair to be measured by.

Michele – Yeah, we don’t have them as bad; but, they’re here. Nasty little buggers that if you don’t wash them off your car/truck it will ‘take the paint off them’.

Katla – BOGO – Bye one; get one (free). Last week it was French’s mustard, this week Hellman’s mayo – we give the 2nd one to son. It helps them out some.

Barbiecat – We ate Mexican tonight; I only ate ½ of what I ordered; but, I am quite full! Sundays are my ‘exercise free’ day. I don’t have the desire to exercise after my supper.

Re – It isn’t really important that you read all the posts and stay current; you can just drop in and read a page or two (maybe 3). If I am gone (or away from my computer) I figure that if I am confused, I can PM someone and find out what I have missed.

Allie – Bull$#*% on the “I helped her move” … apparently we know how she paid him. You also said that shw has moved several times. You are so much better off without the TomCat. Who’ll be yowling when he finds his ‘tail’ (penis) under a rocking chair (back-and-forth discussions between the attorneys) … and finding out that he should not have been ‘fishing’. Stay Strong. You can do this! Be calmer than a cucumber that will ‘drive him wild with worry’.

Beth – I have a ‘bad’ reaction to latex; I finally was able to put 2 & 2 together. Now few MDs use the latex gloves; but, I still ‘ask’. I used to wear them when I painted; because they were form-fitting and I could feel what I am doing.

ORMother – My first cousin and I spend a lot of time together during the summer when we were little; but, it changed when I went off to HS and she was only in middle school.

Dana – I’d chew up some ‘sticky’ chewing gum and put it near the back of the seat, low down. It'd be harder to detect if the seats are silver. Yes, I am sooooooooooo bad!!!!!

KYKaren – I get my ‘chocolate’ fix in nightly with my coffee and one of my chocolate protein bars. Tonight I went WAY over because we ate at the Mexican Restaurant when I thought we’d be eating here. But, Sundays are the days that ‘I consciously’ do NOT do any exercise.

Lanette – Love bugs (probably not their real name) hook up (mating) and you fly into them (really bad in FL – especially around swampy areas – which is most of FL. I don’t know that they do anything other than ruin the paint job of your car if you let them stay stuck to it. Little bigger than a mosquito, not as large as a elongated ladybug.

We took our meal off the “food chart” to the right last night and it was GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

Chris in MA – I have some that I can pull up and down without buttoning and zipping them, too. I agree, really helps when you have ‘really got to go’.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Debby Rocker AM & PM walking DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one more segment of 10 Minute Solution Blast Off Belly Fat DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class. We don't have senior bowling tomorrow (which surprised me) but we do have the funeral to go to, then ceramics at night. I'll leave early, go to mahjongg, then leave early to walk the dog. Actually, his son is here and will probably walk the dog, but I do want to ask him for Maureen's recipes. Seems if she made something Bob liked, she made a note that he liked it. I'll make things for him that I know he likes.

Exercised, then sanded the front door and washed it down, went to Dollar General, their ad says they have Spaghetti-o's on sale but they didn't have them in stock. Did get a card to give Bob. I'm thinking that this afternoon we can probably start taping the door. If we're lucky, we can get one coat of paint on. Vince doesn't think so but I do. Update: we did. Couldn't get the second coat on as the sun would be beating down on one panel, but at least we got one coat on.

katla - BOGO is Buy One Get One. I learned that in every state except Florida, if you only buy one of the item you are charged 1/2 price

Re - good idea giving your dh his dessert so you don't have to get some for him and you. Smart putting the chocolate sticks across the room. If it were me, I'd probably rationalize getting them in that I was burning calories walking across the room so I deserve them. Is that sad or what?

Heather - I am so sorry you're feeling so bad. How sad about you BIL, he was a special person, I'm sure

mavis - I don't mind Golden Corral. They have a few grilled/baked items and they do have lots of veges. Even some fruit. The biggest problem I find is that you pay for a buffet and there's no way (even with the senior discount) I get my money's worth

Allie - I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll get the weight off. You were in a horrible position, but you'll soon be out of it.

barbie - I agree with you wholehartedly. There are so many people who say "oh, I'm trying to lose weight" and then when you see what they eat! I honestly think that was part of Maureen's problem. The food she ate!

katla - happy birthday to your daughter. You're not old enough for a 38 year old, are you?

Lanette - we had a litter box in the garage for our first cat. He absolutely refused to use it. As a matter of fact, one time it snowed, he wouldn't go out in the snow so he held it for over 24 hours. Are you sure your dh and mine aren't twins? My dh is one of the pickest eaters. He'll eat veges, but only white (not sweet) potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce (I'll only give him Romaine but he says he prefers Iceburg), coleslaw as long as there's lot of dressing on it. That's about IT. When we lived in PA that was one of the states that had the strictest fireworks laws you can imagine. Our next-door-neighbor was a state trooper and in the house next to him was the sheriff. Guess who had the most elaborate fireworks displays??? Like your food chart

Guess I'll go outside and start putting the tape on the door/window.

Ordered two new DVD's. Like I need them. But they're on sale

Put the tape on, painted the two side panels, then went in the pool, had dinner, went to Lowes Hardware to buy screen to keep the bugs out and the cats in while we paint the door

Chris - congrats on the NSV's. You rock!

pip - I'm so sorry the curtains gave you problems. They were so pretty, too. Can they be salvaged?

tere - what a problem you had with that dress :) Wasn't Re's comment about TomCat helping move her horizontally a hoot?

Kate - can you put the different half and half in the old container, at least for a little while?

Lenora - in FL most people have these "shields" that go on the front of their cars when the LoveBugs are in season. At first we didn't know what it was, but it makes sense

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Pip – I used to ‘hate’ hearing people say that I looked ‘just like my Mother’ because all I ever saw was a 5’2” woman wearing 350lbs+; but, I am happy that I look like my Mother because she had beautiful skin and that is something I got from her. I always thought my middle sister looked more like her; she is more like Daddy; oldest sister a mix between the 2 of them. We look like our parents because it is the luck (or not) of the draw. We can chose our friends; but, we can’t chose our family. Just because one looks like their parents doesn’t mean they ‘are’ their parents. Louis and I took what we thought were the ‘best’ qualities of our parents and tried to roll them all up together and teach our sons pretty much what they had taught us.

I wish I did not get the ‘gene’ to be bipolar; but, I did … it really was ‘on both sides of the family’ as my Mimi was driven to make her children the best they could be. Mother was reading newspapers when she was 4 years old; my uncle thought climbing the letter to the top was more important than his family. My paternal aunts and uncles have their own families and their ‘own’ set of issues. We all do.

Sorry the curtains did not fit – especially when you took the old pair to be measured by.

Michele – Yeah, we don’t have them as bad; but, they’re here. Nasty little buggers that if you don’t wash them off your car/truck it will ‘take the paint off them’.

Katla – BOGO – Bye one; get one (free). Last week it was French’s mustard, this week Hellman’s mayo – we give the 2nd one to son. It helps them out some.

Barbiecat – We ate Mexican tonight; I only ate ½ of what I ordered; but, I am quite full! Sundays are my ‘exercise free’ day. I don’t have the desire to exercise after my supper.

Re – It isn’t really important that you read all the posts and stay current; you can just drop in and read a page or two (maybe 3). If I am gone (or away from my computer) I figure that if I am confused, I can PM someone and find out what I have missed.

Allie – Bull$#*% on the “I helped her move” … apparently we know how she paid him. You also said that shw has moved several times. You are so much better off without the TomCat. Who’ll be yowling when he finds his ‘tail’ (penis) under a rocking chair (back-and-forth discussions between the attorneys) … and finding out that he should not have been ‘fishing’. Stay Strong. You can do this! Be calmer than a cucumber that will ‘drive him wild with worry’.

Beth – I have a ‘bad’ reaction to latex; I finally was able to put 2 & 2 together. Now few MDs use the latex gloves; but, I still ‘ask’. I used to wear them when I painted; because they were form-fitting and I could feel what I am doing.

ORMother – My first cousin and I spend a lot of time together during the summer when we were little; but, it changed when I went off to HS and she was only in middle school.

Dana – I’d chew up some ‘sticky’ chewing gum and put it near the back of the seat, low down. It'd be harder to detect if the seats are silver. Yes, I am sooooooooooo bad!!!!!

KYKaren – I get my ‘chocolate’ fix in nightly with my coffee and one of my chocolate protein bars. Tonight I went WAY over because we ate at the Mexican Restaurant when I thought we’d be eating here. But, Sundays are the days that ‘I consciously’ do NOT do any exercise.

Lanette – Love bugs (probably not their real name) hook up (mating) and you fly into them (really bad in FL – especially around swampy areas – which is most of FL. I don’t know that they do anything other than ruin the paint job of your car if you let them stay stuck to it. Little bigger than a mosquito, not as large as a elongated ladybug.

We took our meal off the “food chart” to the right last night and it was GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

Chris in MA – I have some that I can pull up and down without buttoning and zipping them, too. I agree, really helps when you have ‘really got to go’.

Lenora

sorry, all the words of wisdom don't help, growing up none of us looked alike everyone said so, everyone said I didn't look like anybody in the family but I resembled some uncle that I never met...

oh well, still don't wanna look like her and I don't see it when my hair is longer
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Well crap ... I've blown out my knee again ... simply by getting into my husband's truck this morning. Doesn't seem as bad as before, but not feeling great. I've got ice on it. I was doing so well at the gym too! Younger son thinks I tried to do too much with the knees at the gym... I don't know ... I can't win ...
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Fireworks started last night in our neighborhood thanks to the guy that lives behind us. He owns the fireworks stands around town so he had plenty of inventory to fire off!

Dolly doesn't particularly like it. She barks at them!

Dana in Arkansas

waowr6hnmt1f.jpg

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I'm back home after being at the lake for a week. The family reunion was good. Met one of mother's cousins she hadn't seen since they were children. The weather cooperated. Overcast and some rain - but that kept the temperatures cooler and it didn't rain on us Saturday for our meeting, dinner and auction. I'm the secretary and this year I took the minutes on my phone in the notes app. Worked great. We follow an agenda - so it was fairly easy. Introduce item. Discussion. Motion made. Seconded. Passed. One item was tabled for further research and discussion. The auction raised over $1,000. We also have a 50:50 pot. Buy tickets $1 each. Winner gets 50% and reunion fund gets 50%. We awarded a tuition scholarship to one young graduating senior. And incentive prize drawings for attendance and for campers. Mostly enjoyed visiting with cousins. Swimming in the lake.
    We spent a few days at the lake house after the reunion. After family guests left on Monday and Tuesday - we stayed a few days and I tackled a big decluttering project. Came home worn out and tired. (Arthritis! Neck and knees aching.) But satisfied with the work we accomplished. Ready to get my act together here. I've seriously got to get my head in the game, I should be going to my doctor in September and I'd like to show a significant weight loss and good blood labs. I've spent this weekend thinking and planning. I'll be posting daily accountability posts. Focusing on the few that will get me the most of what I want.

I'll post my goals later.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Beth - OUCH about your knee. What will you have to do, just rest it?

Have a question for anyone, maybe Heather can answer this - I have some bread that I kept in the freezer (since I'm the only one who'll eat whole wheat bread), but it seems like the loaf got some frostbite on it. Is there anything I can do to bring back the softness of the bread?

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – Yeah, I’ve seen those, too; but. Have often wondered if it gets in the way if they happen to have to open hood for any reason.
    To me, bread that has been frozen … such as white bread; not Texas Toast or French Bread or rolls; need to thaw out before using it; and, for that reason it never has the same soft texture as it does when bought fresh. My in-laws would freeze anything. But, making toast with it or French toast isn’t so bad. I just don’t think I would use it as ‘fresh’ white/wheat bread. If it has formed ice crystals on it; unless maybe if you thawed it out on a paper towel, I would think it would get soggy. That’s not from experience, mind you

Pip – Well, don’t feel bad; my DMnL used to say ALL THE TIME, that DYS looked more like DBnL than his own children did; and, I did not meet them until 4 years after our marriage; they were stationed overseas. We went down to Satellite Beach, FL to visit with them. His ‘ex’ will ALWAYS be my DSnL, even though she is remarried. I like her husband and he sends some of the best email jokes in the world. Besides my friends, Ginny and Peggy (although she hasn’t felt like it since finding out she has lung cancer).

Lenora
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    July Goals
    1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    2. Fiber 30g
    3. Vegetables - big salad daily
    4. Track/complete entry daily
    5. Exercise - 30 Fitbit minutes

7/1 Weight = 293.8
    I expect to drop a good bit of water weight in the first week or two.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    At my daughter's, packing up their house, so they can make the move to the farm. My sister came over yesterday morning to help, step back off the front steps and hurt her leg. We convinced her to go the emergency to get it checked. Unfortunately, it is broken. They admitted her to the hospital and operated on it this morning. Put a plate in and several screws. She will be off work for 8 weeks. Trying to convince her to come home with me for a few weeks, as she lives by herself in a basement suite. She wont be able to get around much and am worried that she might not have anyone to help her. She will be in the hospital for a couple more days.

Hugs ladies. Take care of yourselves.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, I know you love looking like your Mom. But you looks so beautiful with your short hair. Like some one else said, you look sassy and that fits you. Personally I like kIrby's hair shorter but that is up to you two.

I was going to ask earlier. How do you spell the French word Monsier? I am sure I am ripping it up. Also what is French for mouse. And it you could right in a way I can speak it. Mr Mozart has his favorite mouse and I like to hid it in al old Kleenex box and make him look for it. I call it Monsieur Mouse but I would love to call it the proper French name.

Wow,M with the sleepy time tea, I a, fading fasts and I still need to go through my email. Fasting lab work tomorrow morning.

Joyce, indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Joyce - You had it tight the second time - Monsieur. :D Mouse is "souris"
    You can easily Google translations. I just put "french for butterfly" etc in the search bar and up it pops. Or "what is papillon in English" I do that often for German words. Very useful.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Ive never had frostbite on my bread. Was it wrapped? Just cut that bit off. I freeze bread all the time.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Bad weekend regards food, did not log and defo went over. Exercised though but that won't cut it. Stressed about the hospital appointments this week. Must make my July resolution that I need to handle stress in a way that doesn't involve food. I'd be ok if I didn't have to enter the kitchen or get out of bed LOL

Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    the Melatonin seems to help and my attitude towards eveything, is helping lot to sleep a bit better..
    Tomcat still going along like nothing happening,caught him texting her in the family room,i was in my room and went to go to the bathroom and he throws his phone down to the side of recliner.. at this point I dont care text away..I am sure the turn of events by the end of the week will change his tune..
    I went to see my friend Doris and fill her in yesterday..and she is proud of me also, she also has a spare room I can come and stay with her also.. I just dont think I can live with my dad. the house is just such a mess . I am going to look for an apartment here downtown... Now dont go all crazy I can not afford to keep this house and the upkeep, I want to find somewhere that I can have to dogs even if that is part time...keep me in your prayers
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    mgmt0cts83wf.jpg

A Happy 4th to all my US friends!

Sarah