WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)

My computer is definitely dead....won't load so am on DH's. Will shop today for a new one.

Carol in GA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Happy Fourth of July to all of you. Hoping that each of you have 'nice' weather to celebrate it in. Carol, sorry your computer is dead. Taking today and doing what I need to do around the house. Washing sheets and folding clothes. I already have my 'exercise' under my belt. That's nice, won't have to dread it anymore today. Making chicken and rice for supper tonight. Have left over Mexican for tomorrow and I guess I will eat a little bit of pizza at lunch.

Haven't decided whether to use crock pot of pressure cooker for supper; I still am not sure about timing and all that. I just have the 'fear' of it blowing up, since I saw that happen with my mother with the old fashioned kind. The one you had to put on the stove. That's how she always cooked Sunday dinner (only dinner on Sundays) and only (lunch) on other days of the week. Dinner if it was 'formal' at night; otherwise 'supper'. See what Southerners have to learn and remember? Coke is any soft drink that resembles Coca~Cola [but, Pepsi DOES tastes different].

Lenora
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Wow so many pages already! I am still here and still trying to be accountable. I hope your holiday weekend is going well...I imagine many of you have today off. I am at work because my online class starts today and I have two online orientation meetings. That's ok; I haven't been very good about coming in! WEll take care and stay cool if it's hot where you are. We are humid but not too hot today. Saturday we had 2 1/2 inch hail. I saved some in the freezer! Take care, Meg from Omaha
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Lenora - I need to cook some potatoes to mash this afternoon and I now have too many choices.... bake in the crock pot and save extras for potato salad, cook on top the range like in the olden days, use the instant pot (which I have unboxed but haven't actually used yet-I do want to try pot roast in it this week), or wrap in plastic and zap in the microwave for a few minutes. :#

I find the regular pressure cooker too much to bother with if I have time to use the crockpot. I've never had one explode and they are awesome for a lot of things, especially canning. I'm glad the gals with instant pots keep sharing their tips and recipes.

Heather - thank you for the information about resistant starches. Makes sense!

Tracie from WI - glad you popped in. Enjoyed reading your goals - hang in there, girlfriend! I agree, I'd take 72 degrees forever. Glad the PT exercises are helping your knee... lots of us have had knee problems recently it seems.

I struggled with what must have been some kind of bursitis in my left knee earlier this year, it finally did get much better. I started doing strength training with ankle weights about 6 weeks ago and feared I might reinjure the knee, but it's been fine. There is some sensitivity there when I have the weights on and am doing the exercises, but it goes away- I am hoping this will strengthen the muscles enough that it won't reoccur. I agree with what RE says about going slow and hold - seems to work the muscles and not pressure the joints.

Michele - yes I think Vince and my DH must be twins. He'll eat what you listed that Vince eats - otherwise not too adventuresome. If it has gravy on it or a sugary dressing, he might be tempted.

Ginger - glad the family reunion was a success! What a neat idea having an action and awarding a scholarship. And congrats on getting some decluttering done.

Paula - wow, sorry your sister broke her leg. It's a good reminder for me to "watch my step"! I see my DH nearly trip over things or not watch where he's walking and it gives me the willies.

Meg - 2 1/2 inch hail! WOW! did it do any damage?

Carol - have fun computer shopping! I've been better at backing up this laptop with all the new viruses raising their ugly heads but it's getting older and I'm probably looking at a replacement next year unless it crashes.

The fireworks seems to have settled down a little bit - tomorrow night it will start up and folks will be shooting off their aerial rockets which is fun to watch. We have Indian Reservations nearby and those stands are allowed to sell everything - when I was a kid we were limited to sparkers and "snakes". Now, it's approaching dynamite.

I took pains to eat right yesterday, meaning no fake/fast/cheap, etc. o:) I got in over 1500 calories, not a lot of exercise points AND I'm hungry today! Made up some little yogurt/parfait cups for the freezer with a spoon of applesauce, sprinkle of crushed walnuts, a spoon of yogurt (full fat organic) topped with blueberries. They turned out more like an ice cube than ice cream :'( . But I can sure make up a few and just keep them in the fridge for a quick snack (especially after supper). Had one last night and one for breakfast - love them and they are healthier and less expensive than ice cream. Sooo..... Heather....I'm kind of stealing your nightly dessert idea here with the yogurt/stewed apples! I make my own applesauce with little or no sugar (it's mighty tart depending on the apples) and I blend in most of the peels for fiber and nutrition. I guess it's my version of stewed apples.

That's it for now, ladies. Wishing you all a great week - success with your goals, hugs and strength if you need it! <3

Lanette
    Cooler SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    . decided on a color of our awning
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,213 Member
    Options
    Lanette - .Your ice cubes may thaw out ok. :) I'm making 4 pints of yoghurt right now! Decided I might as well use the capacity of the IP. Also got 1 lb of black beans soaking.

Had a nice lunch under an umbrella with my friend. I had two starters of garlic and chilli prawns and scallops with leeks. No bread. I had one small white wine with fizzy water. I left her earlier than I usually do because I wanted to get home before the vomiting bug hit me. I am back home now and have headache and backache, so it won't be long. :'(:sad:
    Hope I can get the yoghurt under way with its starter before I collapse. It's just boiled. I've bought a bigger mesh colander and some industrial sized coffee filters to strain it. I will strain half and just set the other quart. The coffee filters were a suggestion I found online to save messing up cheesecloth. :D

Just paid the parking fine I got on Saturday because I forgot to write the registration number on the permit. :sad:

Happy 4th July for tomorrow! My first wedding was on that day and also my son's. They are going up to London tomorrow to have lunch at Le Gavroche, a very posh restaurant in Mayfair, run by Michel Roux. We have eaten there twice. <3
    We were going out next week with my brother and DSIL to Rick Steins in Winchester, but they've cancelled because she has to drive to Plymouth (a long way) to take her mother to see her father's second wife. ;):*:o She is ill. They all like each other and did not like her father. :laugh:

We have so many blackcurrants this year that we think we might make a couple of pounds of jam. We rarely eat jam, but when we do we like blackcurrant. Or apricot which we made last year and still have a lot left. I think 4 pots will be plenty at the rate we eat it!
    Our rhubarb is also looking perky, so there will be another dessert from that. :D

I can hear beeping from the IP.

Much love, Heather xxxxxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning! Heard an all-Mozart concert last night with my work friend, incredible performance in a beautiful (but hot) outdoor setting, what fun. Went out for Italian after-had one glass of wine and salmon with veg, well okay I had buratta, which is a very soft fresh mozzarella- boy was that good. Couldn't finish the entree so had it for breakfast!

Relaxing today then packing a picnic for another concert and fireworks (yeah!) with DD, can't convince DH to come with, he is a Fuddy Duddy with fun outdoor events, if it isn't sports related, he will not spend time outside!!

Enjoy the fourth everyone, hope it's a relaxing day for all. NYKAREN
  • jennymo
    jennymo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I'm very happy with myself. We had a very busy day yesterday starting with a visit from an old friend in the morning who we hadn't seen in about 4years.
    She used to live here but wanted to see the newest attraction which is a suspension bridge over a waterfall that opened 2 years ago. We took her up there and had a wonderful time walking around. She is an avid amateur photographer so it was fun to see everything through her "lens" so to speak.
    After she left we managed a quick bite for lunch (literally a bowl of cut up watermelon) and then went over to help my cousin clean up a rental town house she owns and has now decided to sell. The tenants have not looked after it, especially the outside yard so we were 3 hours digging, cutting, weeding etc. and we were her second crew. Other folks had been helping out in the morning and the young folks had been emptying out the inside of the town house.
    We finished about 5.30, came home, cleaned up then my cousin and I went and bought Chinese food and a bottle of wine. So I ended up eating a big plate of Chinese food and 2 glasses of wine. It was worth it though as we sat outside enjoying the company and the evening.
    When I stepped on the scale this morning I was the same weight, so no gain after that sodium laden dinner. Yeah! But I will have to drink lots of water today to flush it through. All in all a good outcome.
    Have a great day everyone.
    Jenn
    BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I'm putting bark mulch in my flowerbeds. A neighbor thinks it is a useless waste of money and would rather turn over and "fluff" the soil. I don't think the bark fertilizes plants, but I like the look of it. It doesn't eliminate weeds, but it helps to keep them loose and easy to pull from the soil. What do you think? Is there a Master Gardener position on the matter?

Others are welcome to chime in with their views.

Katla
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: I'm putting bark mulch in my flowerbeds. A neighbor thinks it is a useless waste of money and would rather turn over and "fluff" the soil. I don't think the bark fertilizes plants, but I like the look of it. It doesn't eliminate weeds, but it helps to keep them loose and easy to pull from the soil. What do you think? Is there a Master Gardener position on the matter?

Others are welcome to chime in with their views.

Katla

Katla - I don't think there's an "official" Master Gardener position on this, other than mulching in general keeps down weeds in flower beds and vegetable gardens.

DH just put 13 yards of bark mulch on our flower beds (we have a lot of beds plus around the house and we only do this every 3 years or so) for the reasons you cited. Keeps down the weeds, keeps the ones that do germinate loose and easy to pull. Keeps plants drought resistant as it helps trap moisture as well which is something people often don't think about.

DH was a Master Gardener in King County and also a landscaper for many years.

I think "fluffing the soil" is a bad idea as it brings weed seeds up to the surface where they more readily germinate! They love "disturbed" soil.

Is this the neighbor who pruned your plant by any chance? >:)

Anyhow, bark mulch away!

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Re ... thanks for the knee information. I'm familiar with all the exercises you've mentioned, but I think maybe I overdid the leg curls and extensions ... too much weight instead of "holding" like you suggested. Michele ... after icing the knee last night and taking some heavy duty ibuprofen, my knee is manageable today. Even went to work and grocery shopping. But I'm icing it again now to make certain it continues to heal.

Drkatiebug ... I wanted to mention that soon anything labeled organic will have to remove carrageenan. And today, while at the grocery store, I saw several brands of almond milk that didn't have the additive.

Paula ... so sorry about your sister's leg. Life can change in a second!

All this talk about an Insta Pot has me curious....

Lanette and Katla ... I can attest to the soil fluffing causing problems and I'm waiting for son to fill in the holes where we pulled out entire shrubs and then we're putting bark mulch down until I can figure out what to plant.

Beth

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Back on the net...got an HP Pavilion bundle on sale at Walmart. Check all 3 big discount stores and this ended up being the best choice for the money I was willing to pay.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    :) part of my yard project is spreading 48 cubic feet of bark mulch. It looks great, smell great, and will discourage weeds. I have only a few bags left
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Did not go to YM this morning for exercise. I am planning to go this afternoon to open swim. Doing okay on food so far today. Need to do lots to get ready for our baby goats. They come next Sunday and we need to get a big rhody out of there because it is poisonous to goats.

Katla - We used bark mulch around our blueberries to try to keep down weeds and keep moisture in, but we have to watch the buttercups. They send out long trailers over the mulch and then root.

Joyce - Our cat is declawed. We got her from the humane society that way and she does fine. She is an indoor kitty only. Jackson Galaxy, Cat Daddy, does not like to see cats declawed but says people with certain medical problems such as diabetes or bleeding disorders may need to have it done for their safety and it is worth it if the cat gets a good home that way.

Dana - Good luck with the MRI. Last one I had, I had to wait a long time in the waiting room because the lady ahead of me freaked out. I didn't find it was a problem. I had earphones with music.

Heather - Hope the virus does not hit you too hard.

Pip - Wow you guys are really getting Twinkie fixed up. Love the kids in their patriotic finery.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Do any of you participate in the Challenges in the Challenges forum?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

I participate in three of them:

Biking, Cycling, Bicycling
    24-hours of Exercise
    JULY 2017 walk, run, jog, Bike miles Challenge

They're just a bit of extra motivation. :)