WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lanette – A dear great aunt of mine got hit with a ‘bottle rocket’ as a kid, so she was *kitten*-eyed from then on out. My cousin used to bring firecrackers and cherry bombs to my grandmother’s house when we would get together on the 4th. He’d pass out the firecrackers; but, only he could set off the cherry bombs. He used to light them and put them into a pipe that crossed the driveway of her house. It sounded like a shotgun. One 4th he decided that he would get a ‘bang’ for his buck. I was the “Patsy”. There was a covered milk can (like in the old days when cows were hand-milked) up on my grandmother’s porch. He gave me a cherry bomb and a kitchen match and talked me (easily) into taking the top off, throwing a lite cherry bomb in it and putting the top back on. Needless, to say – it blew the top of it off; sounded like a freaking cannon (I had jumped off the side of the porch) and his Dad and ours came running out of the house with belts being ripped out of their belt loops. So, I ran around the back of the house and came back through the back door through the house and ‘acted like I had been taking a nap’. He got his @$$ WHOOPED!!!!!!

We usually put the pine straw we have in our beds. Azaleas, in South Georgia are planted under pines … something to do with whatever nutrients they get from them. My Azaleas have looked AWFUL for the past couple of years. Too late to cut them back, drastically (unless we are just going back 1/3 of the size of the shrub). I want to cut them ALL way back; but, will wait until next Spring.

Unless we put down that black cloth to keep weeds down we are usually pulling weeds a lot. Even if you pile up the pine straw we have Centipede grass which shoots out runners, so we are constantly cutting them back and planting it wherever it needs to go.

I’d like to take the Master Gardener course; a HS classmate of mine took it. I think it took her a year to go through it and she also had to volunteer to do things around the town she lived in as well. At the time I was on a back-to-back ‘driving restriction’ and because I did not have my seizures under control, I just could not do it. Maybe now I will be able to find a place to take the course.

Allie – Do you think you could find a ‘condo’ to rent? My BF rents a really cute condo. She had the inside painted for her tastes and has 2 BR, 2 Baths, and an office. It’s a townhouse. I find the steps too steep and narrow (where you put your feet), so I have to watch going up or down the stairs. Which is rare, since there is a downstairs bath. Nice covered patio with a brick wall, plus a regular patio which is not covered. I keep telling her; however, that ‘if’ she doesn’t get some concrete and make a ramp where the walkway has buckled, someone is going to get hurt really bad. She agrees; but, hasn’t done anything. Just enough to catch your toe. Says she has already about fallen herself several times.

Cute condo. Does the front door to it come off a hallway to the common area; and, is it on the lower floor? Being the end would definitely be nice; but, like Lanette and Chris in WA said, ‘if’ it is meant to be; it will work out … if not then something (probably better) will turn up. Don’t forget the place in FLORIDA! I guess my only thought was that the ‘common area’ looks like an Assisted Living Facility type of set-up where you’d go to visit with friends and family members if there were more than you could fit in your condo. But, maybe this is the way all 50+ communities are. I know when Louis’ uncle celebrated his 94th birthday, we ate in the cafeteria; and, then visited with one another in a ‘common area’. We laughed at his Aunt Ellie (who is a ‘card’) who ‘flirted’ with every man who came in the front door. “Hello, Darlin’.” She had one little old lady walk over to her, through our group and announce, ‘You’re sitting in MY chair.’ Ellie leaned up and looked around at it and then back at her and told her, ‘well, I don’t see your name on it’. She turned on her heels and huffed off! Every time I think of how Aunt Ellie is – all I can say is I hope I have her sense of humor when I get to my 90’s.

Mia – I could eat my weight in Ranier cherries. I love all the summer fruit, too. I don’t think this section of the state of Georgia is going to have a very good crop of peaches, however. Bought 4 the other day (grown in California).

Joyce – I think cats and dogs get jealous and probably depressed. I do know that when Tux has a sinus infection or his allergies are ‘kicking up’ he will lay in front of our backdoor all the time. About the only thing I would suggest is giving Melody a lot of one-on-one attention until she gets ‘out of her mood’. Tux sits there, I think, a lot because he is jealous that Cracker is an ‘inside’ pet and he is an ‘outside’ one. He will come in the house, usually straight to Will’s BR and get under the bed. When I look under it I will see only his ears poking up. If I say something, he flattens then down. But, if I shut the door, his claustrophobia kicks in and he will come and wail at the door until I open it. Usually, if he gets in he is content to walk the perimeter of the house and back out again.

Lenora
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

This has been quite a day. I haven’t accomplished half of what I had planned. Ended up taking a nap that lasted four hours and now it’s now 10 pm. Just waking up and need to bake a cake for my college roommate’s birthday (pecan sour cream pound cake) tomorrow. At least there is no work tomorrow and we will be enjoying a quiet Independence Day. I’ve seasoned some hamburger for patties for the grill. Since we probably won’t fire up the grill again this year I plan to have DH grill enough to freeze for later in the summer when we get a taste for charcoal flavoring.

The yellow watermelon seems like a cross between a canary melon and a regular watermelon. It seems to be sweeter but not quite as crisp as the regular watermelon. Aahhhh, the fresh fruits of summer! I cubed half for easy access. If any of the kids drop by I’ll send some home with them.

Barbie: Sending you comforting hugs. I somehow missed your posts regarding Jake. However, it looks like you utilized some of that wisdom that you share so freely with us. Everything it not perfect in marriage all the time. My first husband and I were together 17 years before we decided to go our separate ways and were able to do so with little fuss even though we had 2 children. Over the last 30 years I’ve had times when I wish we had just weathered the storms as well as times when I know we did the right thing separating. He maintained that I would be his wife forever until the day that he died – two wives later. DH and I have been together for almost 14 years now. There have been a couple of times that we were getting divorced before we got married. I’m chalking most of this up to changing hormones. Glad you were able to work things out. Sometimes the right thing to do is to be still.

Margaret: Glad you caught your circuit breakers in time!

Allie: Glad you found something you like. It sounds ideal. Now you have a little different perspective on life and how you want to proceed so don’t stop looking. You may stumble on something else. Remember, you are moving forward to an awesome life that will be everything you want it to be.

Wow Ladies, two posts in one day.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Tere in RVA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did a segment of a Blast Belly Fat DVD, help my plank for 2 min 52 sec, will take the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Step Pump Workout DVD with Tonya Larsen.

After exercise want to come right home, get dinner ready, then we have the funeral. I have no idea how long we'll be at the funeral, I'm guessing until around 3. This way when we get home I can just pop it in the microwave and then go to ceramics. I'll leave early from ceramics to go play mahjongg but leave there early to go to Bob's to ask him for Maureen's recipes.

Lenora - I always froze the whole wheat bread since I'm the only one who'll eat it. Never had a problem, except now with this loaf. I've let the slices thaw, but then they're real hard. Well, I don't have a problem eating hard bread. If anything, it'll make me want to drink more water .... lol White bread tends to get a "funny" taste when frozen. Now I do freeze rye bread for Vince and that doesn't get funny. I have a feeling that the Love Bug "shields" don't interfere with opening the hood, I don't think they come up that far.

pyanko - so sorry for your sister

Heather - I always keep my bread in the bag that it comes in from the store. The weird thing is that I've never had this problem before and I've been freezing my bread for years. Well, like I said, I don't mind eating it hard.

Exercised, came home and got dinner ready, went to the funeral, he did invite us to his apt after the service but we didn't go, went in my pool, went to ceramics then mahjongg, went to Bob's to get the recipes, now home.

Bryan just wrote me saying that it will be "difficult" for him to come over. For his wedding we gave him tickets to the US and he'd like to use them for Denise's wedding. My feeling is "you've had 1-1/2 yr to save up the money, and what's going to happen when Jess gets married." I really don't think it's very fair of him to expect us to pay for him to come over. He made the decision to live there, not us. If we don't pay outright, Denise will use part of the money we gave her for the reception to fly him over. This is causing a rift between her and Pete. I don't think Bryan should be doing this (I don't even know that he realizes that she wants to pay for him to come over). When he had me talk to his "therapist", she went on and on about how successful Bryan has been. This is successful???? We gave him the gift of coming to the US with the expectation that this would be a vacation for him and Diana, then she could meet some of his friends, learn something about his life as a child.

Lanette - Vince not adventuresome...that's an understatement. He doesn't even like something with gravy on it. If something has breading with the least bit of flavor...he scrapes the breading off. No warm tomatoes (except pizza and spaghetti sauce). If he ever knew the things that I have him eating...he'd never eat again. Like I make these tofu manicotti, have for years, just never told him there was tofu in them. How many times I've used tofu in brownies for him, I just "accidentally on purpose" forgot to tell him. Chocolate zucchini bread...gee, I forgot to mention the zucchini part. Which does the Master Gardener feel is better and why? The mulch or the (is it called) pine straw .

Rori - Vince is such a pickey eater that if they don't look like the perfect kind you get in the package at the store, he probably wouldn't eat them. Not to mention the fact that they're whole wheat and not white bread. Good idea, tho.

I can't seem to find the listing of the condo Allie is looking at. Can someone give me a link?

barbie - I'm so happy for you

Margaret - anything electrical is scary. So glad you got it sooner

Joyce - I'm sure cats get jealous, especially if there is any change at all. I think you need to give it time and like Lenora said, give extra attention.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    Options
    Allie - barbie just sent me a link and I saw the condo. The gym looks real nice. I'm not crazy about how it's decorated, but that's something that can be taken care of. I really like the outside (the picnic table). I know that you'd be happy there.

One thing - when they say that you can use the washing machines or have them in your own place, is there a fee for having them in your place in addition to the condo fee? Is this a one time fee or a monthly fee? I think the stone exterior is really nice. Like the openess,too.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    June accomplishments ... :)

2017 Monthly June
    Walking Distance (km): 69.0
    Walking Time (min): 862.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 506.7
    Cycling Time (min): 1600.1
    Stairs Climbed Number: 63.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 50.4

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 575.7
    Total Distance (miles): 357.7
    Total Time (min): 2513.0
    Total Time (hr): 41:53:00

As for July ... we already met our main goals on July 1, but we will have to focus on keeping up the distance and I will need to do some weights and core work. Plus returning to work and university, of course.

M in OZ (soon)

July 2015: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    July 2016: 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes

July 2017 ... hopefully somewhere in between my two previous quantities of exercise for July :)

July 1 - 161.5 km cycling (510 min) + 0.5 km walking (6 min). This was a 150 km event put on by the BC Randonneurs to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday. :) Plus a bit extra.

July 2 - 3 km walking (35 min)

July 3 - 3.5 km walking (43.75 min) + 20.00 km cycling (63.16 min)

2017 Monthly July
    Walking Distance (km): 7.0
    Walking Time (min): 87.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 181.5
    Cycling Time (min): 573.2

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 188.5
    Total Distance (miles): 117.1
    Total Time (min): 660.7
    Total Time (hr): 11:00:39
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    This has been the scenario in our house tonight. I finally woke 'r Mozart up. It was getting to close to bedtime and he needed to play hard. A couple of weeks ago I wadded up a piece of paper and he played for a long time with that. But lately with the wad of paper he played fetch! I throw, he runs and gets it and brings it and puts it at my feet. Well my arm gets tired of that. So much for self play. But this was along with my bedtime routine. He and scratched me pretty good and after an hour it was still oozing so I needed to get my first aide stuff out of the linen closet to bandage me.moh, a new place. He had never been in the linen closet. Meat place. Lots of things and shelves to jump on. Ok, got him out, got me bandaged up. Next thing I do is clean littler box. I open bottom drawe to get zip lock drawe. Oh Momy, whatcha doing!!!!! Things get pulled out of said drawer. Ok, littler box get cleaned, get ready to put fresh litter in. Ohhhhhh, have never seen that thing before, a scoop, all that litter, moving things! Littler box now refreshed and not yet in place but yet gotta go in clean litter box. Oh wait! momma using the broom. Gotta finish this real quick to chase the broom. Whoops, here comes Melody, no time t chase the broom, have to get in deep crouch position to get Melody. But I a, in litter box. That's ok to have my no's down in the litter, have to pounce. No time to clean up my poop. Pounce. OK back to litter box, might as well pee while I am here and then cover it all up and then go 'play' with me Melody since she is out of hiding. Can you tell he is a little would up tonight. Hopefully my Pandora sod music will have the same affect on him. I wonder if Allies sleepy time tea would help.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    Options
    Joyce - when one of our cats is wound up, we get out the "little red dot" -- the laser pointer. Invest in one. They go crazy with that little red dot.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Remember that 200 km event I rode on June 24 ... they've posted some photos. These are not my photos, they are the event photos.

My husband and I may be in the group at the beginning, it's hard to tell, but we do show up in the photo labelled AGS2211, and we're in several after that point ... wearing Australian jerseys on a Canadian event. :grin: Mine is blue on top and orange on the bottom, his is yellow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47095433@N05/sets/72157682427625572/

Machka ... who was cycling in Canada! :grin:

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    He has loved the red dot until he found out where the dot comes from. Now he just wants to expose the light itself. And I don't want him looking into e red dot.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Preparing to leave for the hospital, not looking forward to this

Kate UK <3
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Beautiful Babes!

Just checking in on my goals... I am finding that reporting daily keeps me on task... Knowing I would not be able to report another day at 400 calories under budget is all that kept me from eating that second cookie...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Barbie - Hugs! I am glad you and Jake are getting through this rough patch. I think it's mandatory for all men to go crazy at some point... perhaps Jake has had his fit and can now settle down and behave.

Allie - That condo does look great... it's my dream, you know... to ditch my house and get a condo. Go out and live the dream for both of us, Sugar!

Joyce - Cats do get jealous and depressed - they have such complex personalities... Just be sure to love on Melody a whole bunch while she gets used to the new addition. Hugs!

Kate - Hugs! I will be thinking healing thoughts... Once the surgery is over, you will be able to move on, pain free.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thanks, my Friends, for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

The gym is open, tomorrow - so I will be there... Have to get in my abdominals and weights!

July Goals for the week 7/2 – 7/8
    400 calories under budget 5X: OOOXX
    Weights/Abdominals 3X: OOO
    Planks 3X: OXX

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie neat condo, if it's meant to be, it will be. There are a lot of wonderful communities like that, with privacy and ammenities built right in.

Oh, I'm trying a new lemon square recipe with almond flour--hope they cut into neat squares, i hate when they get messy!!!! I'll let you know.

NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Kate UK prayers!
  • Mauitn
    Mauitn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy 4th of July! Rain here so not too much outdoor activity.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July!

Barbie, so glad Jake has settled down and come to realize what a treasure he has with you. Glad he's taken an interest in helping with the rock/landscaping project. I don't know that I could be so patient and understanding - but I am pretty certain my DH would never do such a thing unless he'd totally lost his marbles.

Michele - as far as I know, we don't have pine straw available here in the pacific northwest, all we have is bark mulch which decomposes into nice black dirt after several years. I just looked up pine straw on the internet - say, I like the looks of that! In the garden, we've used livestock bedding straw (oat, barley, etc.) but it sometimes has seeds in it.

NY Karen
    - I LOVE lemon squares. Yes, please let us know how they turn out using almond flour. I've been wanting to make a pan but I'd eat the whole thing...I too love trimming them and eating the crispy edges - that's DH's favorite part as well.

Kate - sending good thoughts your way that all goes smoothly with your gall stone removal!

Joyce - Mozart was sure wound up. Any chance there's a change in the weather coming up? I recall my folks used to predict the weather by livestock behavior....the youngsters would jump and play and run around.

Found a new no-sugar after supper snack. About 1/3 cup of plain quinoa with a spoon of hummus dumped on it. I love savory just as much as sweet. And, it was yummy! Was going to put an olive on top but didn't have any. I think it would be good packed into a celery stick too.

I need to run to town EARLY this morning and get some groceries. If I can hit 2 stores and be home by 8 I'll be a happy camper.

The fireworks/booming wasn't so bad last night. I anticipate a lot of it tonight. Glad we don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Later ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Fourth!
  • spiritbear555
    spiritbear555 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July to all my American friends here! Enjoy a wonderful holiday. We are all so blessed to live in North America! Bear Lady Weez'
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    well made another batch of deviled eggs, taking my dad to a picnic at his church friends house.. will leave in an hour or so..Tom I am sure will go see the honey.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning; peeps-

Grandmallie- I like your condo, decorations, furniture can change to your taste. I am a firm believer, everything happens for a reason. it it's meant to be, it will happen for you. I remember when husband #2 and I were looking in San Jose and we saw an apartment that I thought was perfec. we didn't't get it for whatever reason. we kept looking while I was soooo bummed we didn't get it. we found one uptake street,probably about a mile away and it was alot better and perfect! good luck

gym is open later today, got to sleep in, Kirby working. gotta go