Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Again, the phrase is consistently used to mean added sugars and solid fats, including in the links you gave, including at MyPlate.

So it would seem to apply to the sugar in gummy bears, whenever used, and to the sugar in gels used pretty much exclusively during endurance sports.

So empty calories doesn't actually mean "never worthwhile," which is one reason it's arguably not the greatest term for it (I don't actually see what's wrong with just saying "added sugars and solid fats" or even "calories from foods not particularly helpful in meeting nutrient goals."

But of course the real point some are trying to make here is that objecting to the term "empty calories" = not caring about nutrition or ignorant (sugar has energy being responded to with "haha, wow" as if that were in any way not accurate). Not caring for the term does not mean that one is ignorant about nutrition (quite the opposite in this discussion) or doesn't care about having a healthy diet. I actually haven't heard a reason why it's such a great term from the proponents.

Also, amusingly, many of those who defend it like to ignore the "solid fats" part of it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun
    calories derived from food containing no nutrients.

or Merriam Webster:

Definition of empty calories:
    calories from food that supply energy but have little or no nutritional value
    First Known Use: 1955

So this wouldn't be true of any food except for alcohol, I don't think. I've never seen a food with calories that was devoid of macronutrients.

Nutrient does not mean macronutrient. If it did the definition would have said "calories derived from food containing no macronutrients"

The narrowness of the concept is what makes it so unhelpful. I eat several foods that are rich in a particular macronutrient but don't contain many (if any) micronutrients. I don't consider them "empty" calories because they're helping me meet my nutritional goals.
  • janejellyroll
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I'm thinking the term "empty calories" was invented by the "clean eaters"...
    It's routinely used in the health care and nutritional fields. For example:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2871092/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24200654
    https://mchb.hrsa.gov/chusa14/dl/health-status-behaviors.pdf

There's a recognized, common understanding of what the phrase means - it's basically a short way to talk about foods that add unneeded extra calories but little else. Sometimes it's put in quotation marks. ETA: It's never used when the calories the food supplies are needed or helpful, only when the extra calories are unneeded and possibly detrimental.

So if I eat gummy bears pre or post workout they don't have empty calories because helpful but if I eat them during a movie they do have empty calories because unneeded?
    They're the same gummy bears...either the calories are empty or not.
    No, they can be unneeded in one situation and needed in another. If you are, say, Michael Phelps in training, you can't possibly get enough calories to stay well nourished unless you eat a lot of high-calorie, low-fiber foods. If you are an average Westerner, you're in a different situation. For you, candy is "empty calories," nutritionally speaking. Similarly, glucose can be a lifesaver for a diabetic in insulin shock or a patient in a coma, and doctors don't refer to it as "empty calories" in those circumstances.

Sorry if that seems inconsistent to you, but your quarrel is with the doctors and scientists who use the phrase that way.

If whether or not a calorie is "empty" depends on the circumstances, it seems like it would be more helpful to address the circumstances and help people make informed choices instead of focusing on the foods themselves.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

So this wouldn't be true of any food except for alcohol, I don't think. I've never seen a food with calories that was devoid of macronutrients.

Nutrient does not mean macronutrient. If it did the definition would have said "calories derived from food containing no macronutrients"

So macronutrients are not nutrients, really?

That's not what nvmomketo said. You like to twist things to try and make your point. Empty calories means that something is empty of micronutrients and that is a accepted use of the term. Whether or not you agree with the wording is your opinion.

Just like something that is has a low or high nutrient density. The nutrient in that scenario is understood and accepted to be referring to micronutrients. Whether you agree with the terminology or not.

Just micronutrients?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

That's not what nvmomketo said. You like to twist things to try and make your point. Empty calories means that something is empty of micronutrients and that is a accepted use of the term. Whether or not you agree with the wording is your opinion.

Just like something that is has a low or high nutrient density. The nutrient in that scenario is understood and accepted to be referring to micronutrients. Whether you agree with the terminology or not.

Just micronutrients?

Yes, in the term "empty calories" which are by definition are "calories derived from food containing no nutrients" or "a calorie whose source has little or no nutritional value", both of which, "nutrients" and "nutritional value" are understood to be referring to micronutrients.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

Just micronutrients?

Yes, in the term "empty calories" which are by definition are "calories derived from food containing no nutrients" or "a calorie whose source has little or no nutritional value", both of which, "nutrients" and "nutritional value" are understood to be referring to micronutrients.

Incorrect. The source must also be devoid of essential macronutrients. It cannot have essential amino acids or essential fatty acids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

that was not my question..

go back and read it, and try again ..
  • lemurcat12
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

That's not what nvmomketo said. You like to twist things to try and make your point. Empty calories means that something is empty of micronutrients and that is a accepted use of the term.

No, it basically means solid fats or added sugar. A food that contains lots of "empty calories" as used by those who use the term may ALSO have a decent amount of micronutrients, but probably high calories.

For example, pizza is said to be a significant contributor of "empty calories" to the US diet, even though many pizzas have vegetables on them (spinach pizza is quite popular where I am), and among other ingredients would contribute micros.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2017
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

Just micronutrients?

Protein is not empty calories under the normal definition, nor are some kinds of fat.
  • janejellyroll
    edited July 2017

There's a recognized, common understanding of what the phrase means - it's basically a short way to talk about foods that add unneeded extra calories but little else. Sometimes it's put in quotation marks. ETA: It's never used when the calories the food supplies are needed or helpful, only when the extra calories are unneeded and possibly detrimental.

So if I eat gummy bears pre or post workout they don't have empty calories because helpful but if I eat them during a movie they do have empty calories because unneeded?
    No, they can be unneeded in one situation and needed in another. If you are, say, Michael Phelps in training, you can't possibly get enough calories to stay well nourished unless you eat a lot of high-calorie, low-fiber foods. If you are an average Westerner, you're in a different situation. For you, candy is "empty calories," nutritionally speaking. Similarly, glucose can be a lifesaver for a diabetic in insulin shock or a patient in a coma, and doctors don't refer to it as "empty calories" in those circumstances.

Sorry if that seems inconsistent to you, but your quarrel is with the doctors and scientists who use the phrase that way.

If whether or not a calorie is "empty" depends on the circumstances, it seems like it would be more helpful to address the circumstances and help people make informed choices instead of focusing on the foods themselves.

Your complaint seems to be against doctors and scientists. They're the ones who decided the term was a useful one to use in writing for each other, and for educating the public about how to eat. If they had picked some other term, we'd be using that term in our posts. Personally, though, I don't find it's a difficult concept, and I understand what they mean.

I don't find it difficult. I find it to be less useful than an understanding of how a given food fits into an overall diet.

I am not convinced that doctors and scientists use this term when communicating with each other. Do some of them use it as a term when attempting to educate the general public on nutrition? Without a doubt. Lots of concepts are simplified when experts attempt to communicate with the public. Sometimes the result is helpful, sometimes it isn't.

If they want to use it, that's their business. Others are free to question it, discuss it, even reject it.
  • Rammer123
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

Just micronutrients?

Protein is not empty calories under the normal definition, nor are some kinds of fat.

Right and both of which contain micronutrients.
  • janejellyroll
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

I think the point is that the calories are empty in both cases. Sometimes all you need are calories. In that situation, empty calories are fine and welcome. If you aren't in need of calories or if you are in need of certain micronutrients, empty calories are a bad idea.

If you ordered a book and then received an empty box in the mail, that would be bad. If you need to move, you would want an empty box.

Empty boxes can be good or bad, but I have never once heard somebody say, "It's not an empty box because you have a box and boxes are useful so the fact that you have a box means it's not an empty box."

I hope I never do, to be honest.

Your example makes perfect sense, it's just that you usually hear "empty calories" tossed around as something to avoid, where an empty box is just a tool.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    emp·ty cal·o·ries
    noun

or Merriam Webster:

Just micronutrients?

Right and both of which contain micronutrients.

I thought you said macronutrients did not count. Protein is a macronutrient.

It doesn't matter, since as I said before, the real way "empty calories" is used is to refer to added sugar or solid fats.

Also, the definition of micronutrients: "a chemical element or substance required in trace amounts for the normal growth and development of living organisms."

Calories are required (although not in trace amounts) for the normal growth and development of living organisms.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

I think the point is that the calories are empty in both cases. Sometimes all you need are calories. In that situation, empty calories are fine and welcome. If you aren't in need of calories or if you are in need of certain micronutrients, empty calories are a bad idea.

If you ordered a book and then received an empty box in the mail, that would be bad. If you need to move, you would want an empty box.

Empty boxes can be good or bad, but I have never once heard somebody say, "It's not an empty box because you have a box and boxes are useful so the fact that you have a box means it's not an empty box."

Your example makes perfect sense, it's just that you usually hear "empty calories" tossed around as something to avoid, where an empty box is just a tool.

Given the fact 70% or so of the population is overweight or obese, for these individuals empty calories are something to avoid, or consume in very limited amounts. The 2% or so of the population who are athletes that need a bunch of calories to fuel their activities, sure consume some empty calories as appropriate. The other 25% or so of the population may be able to get by with 10-20% of caloric intake in "empty calories"..
  • Rammer123

For a VAST majority of people, yes empty calories should be very limited.
  • janejellyroll
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Given the fact 70% or so of the population is overweight or obese, for these individuals empty calories are something to avoid, or consume in very limited amounts. The 2% or so of the population who are athletes that need a bunch of calories to fuel their activities, sure consume some empty calories as appropriate. The other 25% or so of the population may be able to get by with 10-20% of caloric intake in "empty calories"..

So we're back to judging on the context of an individual's diet and situation instead of just labeling foods. Pretty much exactly what I have been saying.