Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sugar provides energy so it can't be "emtpy" that is the point...

Oh gosh... haha wow

I take it you don't do any endurance sports?

I take it you don't know what empty calories are.

I don't believe in the concept of any empty calorie (unless you're counting alcohol, a reasonable case can be made for that). Everything that I eat contains either carbohydrates, protein, or fat and my body can use all of those for energy.

Now is it possible to eat so much of something that it either gives you an excess of energy (resulting in weight gain) or crowds out something else that you need? Absolutely. But that can be true for just about any food. I've met people on raw diets who are eating too many raw fruits and vegetables, keeping them from meeting their other needs. It doesn't mean fruits and vegetables are therefore "empty" calories just because they can't be consumed in unlimited quantities.

There are certain circumstances where something like a sports drink, gummy bears, or a gel pack (things that would commonly be considered "empty calories") would be very useful.

It doesn't matter if you "believe in it" whatever that means.

It is a phrase used to describe something with caloric content with little or no micronutrient value. Its not something you do or don't believe in, its a phrase that describes things. Just because you don't like the words used to describe it, doesn't change that.

By definition eating raw fruits and vegetables would never be empty calories, unless they were somehow stripped of their nutrients and still contained the calories.

I'm using "I don't believe in it" as a way of saying "I don't accept it." I apologize, I thought this usage would be familiar to most English-speakers. Foods stigmatized as "empty calories" still provide carbohydrates, protein, or fat. I'm unclear why foods must contain significant micronutrient content to be able to make a contribution to the diet. Macronutrients are nutrients too.

I sometimes eat foods that are high carbohydrate (but contain little to no micronutrients) while I'm racing or training. It's fairly common for people during endurance sports and I don't think anyone doing that considers the calories to be "empty."

I'm not arguing that they don't give you energy. Just that the phrase has a meaning, and it was used incorrectly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's a UK story. Yesterday in America NPR had some show treating Dr. Lustig with respect for his identical campaign to have sugar banned in the U.S.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

I don't believe in the concept of any empty calorie (unless you're counting alcohol, a reasonable case can be made for that). Everything that I eat contains either carbohydrates, protein, or fat and my body can use all of those for energy.

Now is it possible to eat so much of something that it either gives you an excess of energy (resulting in weight gain) or crowds out something else that you need? Absolutely. But that can be true for just about any food. I've met people on raw diets who are eating too many raw fruits and vegetables, keeping them from meeting their other needs. It doesn't mean fruits and vegetables are therefore "empty" calories just because they can't be consumed in unlimited quantities.

There are certain circumstances where something like a sports drink, gummy bears, or a gel pack (things that would commonly be considered "empty calories") would be very useful.

It is a phrase used to describe something with caloric content with little or no micronutrient value. Its not something you do or don't believe in, its a phrase that describes things. Just because you don't like the words used to describe it, doesn't change that.

By definition eating raw fruits and vegetables would never be empty calories, unless they were somehow stripped of their nutrients and still contained the calories.

I'm using "I don't believe in it" as a way of saying "I don't accept it." I apologize, I thought this usage would be familiar to most English-speakers. Foods stigmatized as "empty calories" still provide carbohydrates, protein, or fat. I'm unclear why foods must contain significant micronutrient content to be able to make a contribution to the diet. Macronutrients are nutrients too.

I sometimes eat foods that are high carbohydrate (but contain little to no micronutrients) while I'm racing or training. It's fairly common for people during endurance sports and I don't think anyone doing that considers the calories to be "empty."

I'm not arguing that they don't give you energy. Just that the phrase has a meaning, and it was used incorrectly.

No, it was used correctly.

Atheists don't "believe in" god/God/gods. They're not unaware of the concept. They actively reject it.

What are you even talking about.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

If "empty calories" is the phrase in question, I don't deny that it has a meaning. A phrase can have a meaning to the people who use it and still be an inaccurate (or not useful) way to describe how something works.

If you were to talk about the time when dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together, you would know the meaning of those words (and so would I). But you having a meaning in mind wouldn't make it any more factual.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

No, it was used correctly.

Atheists don't "believe in" god/God/gods. They're not unaware of the concept. They actively reject it.

What are you even talking about.

I think he thought the phrase in question was when I wrote "I don't believe in empty calories" and you responding that you didn't understand what those words meant together.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    Sugar is highly addictive that's why it's in 99.9% of food. I read the book diet rehab and it completely changed the way I think about sugar.

nope, dead wrong...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I believe (heh) janejellyroll's point is that the term "empty calories" is unhelpful or misleading because it suggests that something that is empty would supply nothing helpful (in that the usual idea is that calories aren't good in and of themselves) and that something not "empty" would be providing something helpful and nutrition is, in fact, more context dependent than that.

For someone who is very low on protein and healthy fats but eats lots and lots of vegetables and fruit (as mentioned above), eating another banana might not be the best choice -- it would be akin to empty calories for them, despite the micros. Someone fueling a long bike ride might need easily digested calories, so they would not be empty in that they would provide something of need.

I understand what "empty calories" is to convey, but when the hope is to get someone to understand how nutrition actually works, and context and all that, it's perfectly reasonable to say it's not a good or helpful term, in your opinion. It is misleading in that it suggests that some choices are always good and some are always bad, nutritionally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

If "empty calories" is the phrase in question, I don't deny that it has a meaning. A phrase can have a meaning to the people who use it and still be an inaccurate (or not useful) way to describe how something works.

If you were to talk about the time when dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together, you would know the meaning of those words (and so would I). But you having a meaning in mind wouldn't make it any more factual.

It is a phrase to describe something that has a low nutrient density.

except energy does not equal nutrients..

and who eats sugar as a primary source of nutrients?

• Rammer123
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

right, which is why pure table sugar would be considered empty calories.

I never implied or said sugar was anyone's primary source of nutrients. Maybe someone else did? Not sure.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I believe (heh) janejellyroll's point is that the term "empty calories" is unhelpful or misleading because it suggests that something that is empty would supply nothing helpful (in that the usual idea is that calories aren't good in and of themselves) and that something not "empty" would be providing something helpful and nutrition is, in fact, more context dependent than that.

For someone who is very low on protein and healthy fats but eats lots and lots of vegetables and fruit (as mentioned above), eating another banana might not be the best choice -- it would be akin to empty calories for them, despite the micros. Someone fueling a long bike ride might need easily digested calories, so they would not be empty in that they would provide something of need.

I understand what "empty calories" is to convey, but when the hope is to get someone to understand how nutrition actually works, and context and all that, it's perfectly reasonable to say it's not a good or helpful term, in your opinion. It is misleading in that it suggests that some choices are always good and some are always bad, nutritionally.

Yes, you are right about what I meant. Your banana example is a perfect. Any food could potentially be a form of useless calories for someone, depending on the context of their diet. For many of us in the West, especially those of us with extra weight, adding more foods that are high in carbohydrates and/or fat while having little else, aren't particularly useful. But for people in other situations (running a marathon, bulking, trying to maintain weight while ill, growing, etc), these foods are just fine. And any particular "empty calorie" food is probably still going to be just fine in the context of an overall balanced diet for *anyone*, not just people in these special situations.

This is why I challenge the concept, but I don't think there is an "always right" choice for foods.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

I never implied or said sugar was anyone's primary source of nutrients. Maybe someone else did? Not sure.

It doesn't make sense to some of us why you would consider energy value to be useless when you're evaluating a food. If a food provides energy in the form of macronutrients, why is that "empty"?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I believe that what @janejellyroll means isn't that the existence of low-nutrient foods is in question, but that the phrase "empty calories" implies that those foods have no value.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

It doesn't make sense to some of us why you would consider energy value to be useless when you're evaluating a food. If a food provides energy in the form of macronutrients, why is that "empty"?

I never said sugar was useless or that food with sugar was useless.

You guys continue to point to things that I have not said.

What I am saying is that the phrase "empty calories" is a phrase to describe things that are of low nutrient density.

I never said I agreed or disagreed with the way the phrase was brought about, or who brought it about, I am merely saying, the phrase has an understood meaning, and it was used incorrectly.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Oh gosh... haha wow

I never said sugar was useless or that food with sugar was useless.

You guys continue to point to things that I have not said.

What I am saying is that the phrase "empty calories" is a phrase to describe things that are of low nutrient density.

I never said I agreed or disagreed with the way the phrase was brought about, or who brought it about, I am merely saying, the phrase has an understood meaning, and it was used incorrectly.

Except that Carbohydrates are definitionally a nutrient.. and thus something that is high carb cannot be low nutrient density.