• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Wow.

:huh:

Thank you for your contribution.
  • skyecita
    skyecita Posts: 6 Member
    This conversation is really interesting. I really don't understand why any diet would want you to cut down on cucumbers or carrots.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    annabel92 wrote: »
    I would imagine that your nutritionist is referring to heavy/refined/processed carbs that don't have much nutrition, such as bread or pasta.

Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine as they're natural - these are 'fiber' carbs and needed.

Just like sugar in a banana is natural when compared to sugar in sweets, natural carbs are full of nutrition (such as fibre) and are a much better choice when compared to processed carbs.

So carbs in bread....are not fiber carbs...and are not natural? Hmmmm.

No, bread isn't natural, it's man made and it's a refined carb (especially if it's white, whole grain is better for you and more nutritional). Bread is made from natural ingredients (wheat) so does have fiber in it, but it's a 'starchy' refined carb and nowhere near as nutritional as natural fiber carbs found in vegetables that grow naturally, such as broccoli.

How can something with "natural ingredients" be unnatural? I mean, if I made a pot of chili that would be (wo)manmade, but it doesn't mean that the nutrients in it somehow vanish. Many of the foods we eat undergo some form of prep or processing (either by us or prior to the point of purchase).

A diet can include bread and broccoli. It's not like we have to forgo all the benefits of broccoli forever in order to have a slice of bread.

Beans in that chili or Texas style? Just had to ask.....

• annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2017
    Wow, some of these points scrutinising everything I say for no reason really...

I'm not saying to cut out bread and pasta - I eat both - I'm answering the first question asking what the nutritionist meant by carbs. It's obvious she didn't mean vegetables.

How is it obvious that's what her nutritionist meant? Surely her nutritionist should know what her client is regularly consuming and shouldn't just blanket state she is eating too many carbs without reviewing what it is that she is actually eating. OP has stated she mostly eats meat, fish, fruit, veg and nuts, no mention of over-indulging in bread and pasta.

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm simply making the point that complex carbs are not the same as simple carbs; no low carb diets (that I know of) cut out vegetables, but almost all cut down on pasta and white bread.

100g of bread is generally considered worse for you than 100g of broccoli in general nutrition & calories.

However, you're right - if she's only eating those foods and the nutritionist wasn't referring to refined carbs, she needs to sack the nutritionist immediately.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited July 2017
    Beans in that chili or Texas style? Just had to ask.....
    Actually Chili con carne with beans is a "Texas-style". Texas-style is with or without beans.
    The Texas Penal system came up with the idea to add beans in chili con carne to make it go farther, if I recall correctly.

"Chili con carne is the official dish of the U.S. state of Texas as designated by the House Concurrent Resolution Number 18 of the 65th Texas Legislature during its regular session in 1977.
    "Texas-style chili" may or may not contain beans and may even be made without other vegetables whatsoever besides chili peppers." -- Wikipedia

But traditional Mexican chili con carne did not have beans in the mix.