Strange baby names?

Options

Replies

• thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who named her baby boy Dartagnane (i guess its pronounced Dattanion) I was told he is the 4th musketeer idk. I think its a dumb name lol but his moms name is ayla so i guess its ok. Oh yeah the last name is Van riper. Dartagnane Van Riper....
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    One of my friends has a nephew named Jasper. A co-worker recently named their son Clyde. I realize these names aren't that "out there" but all I can think is poor kids. Thank goodness you can change your name when you grow up. I've always hated my first name and I plan to drop it when I get married.

My mom's husband's name is Clyde. I love him and he's fantastically awesome.
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    Geez, feeling sorry for your kids or any you'll have.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    The San Francisco Giants used to have a pitching coach named D!ck Pole. Seriously.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I had a kind in my Kindergarten class named Imhotep. It was a few years after The Mummy (movie) so it makes me wonder. (No, the family wasn't Egyptian or anything, either)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My mom joked that she wanted to name my brother Ryan and myself Ginger Dale ... like Rye and Gingerale...

thank goodness she didn't!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like weird names... My children are going to have really eclectic names! I'm a big fan of these names:

Tea (girl) pronounced Tay-a
    Finnigan (boy) - I realize this is not a totally weird name, but kind of a rare name. Nickname would be Finn.
    Anders (boy) - popular Scandinavian name, but not popular in the US.
    Bine (girl) - another Scandinavian name. Pronounced 'bean'.
    River (boy or girl)
    Freja (girl) - Scandinavian name.
    Gunnar (boy) - Scandinavian name.
    Hanne (girl) - pronounced Hanna.
    Harbor (girl or boy)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    my first name is Leora. it's awful. I am called "Leroy" daily, and 99% of the people i meet add an N in my name. seriously. it's awful. yet although i've been married and divorced, i've kept the horrific moniker because... i'm the third Leora. My mother and grandmother were both amazing people and it's one thing i'll always share with them even though they aren't here.

Of course, both of them went by their middle names, but my middle name is even worse, so i suffer through it. (or go by Miko)

Two same name stories: i have a sister in law who is named Dana Dawn. Her sister is also Dana Dawn. no lie. one goes by Dana, the other goes by Dawn.
    Then i have another friend named Charlie. apparently his dad was obsessed with the name and used it for every dog he ever had, (and any other kind of pet) as well as his only son "Charlie".
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    my friend just named her son Phinneaus Danger Mathison
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    One of my friends has a nephew named Jasper. A co-worker recently named their son Clyde. I realize these names aren't that "out there" but all I can think is poor kids. Thank goodness you can change your name when you grow up. I've always hated my first name and I plan to drop it when I get married.

my nephew's name is Jasper. i think it's pretty cool. it's a really cool town here in Alberta.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I met someone named extrafine once, yes extra fine. Interestingly she wasn't, I guess people don't always grow to fit their names. oh and there is a movie star who's kids name is I am pretty sure pilot inspector.

Pen Gillette named his little girl Moxy Crimefighter. I kind of love that one. :)

And, of course, Nicholas Cage named his son Kal El (Superman's Kryptonian name, for the non-geeks).

Love Penn Jillette!! He had to name her that because he's awesome.
  • r3451
    r3451 Posts: 19
    Options
    I worked in a school where we had a 5th grader named Alize...she had twin younger sisters named Tequila and Tanqueray.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Well we named our first son Xavier and had a lot of people looking at us quite strangely in our family. I know that it isn't a common name but seriously? Wyatt is our second and everyone was against it because of Wyatt Earp...

BUT... the cake (mmm,....cake LOL)... If Xavier had been a little girl her first name would have been Isabella and her middle name would have been Serendipity. We had agreements. Boy - he gets first name, I get second and reversed for a girl. So now we have Xavier Lance (Lance was my Dad's name) and Wyatt Wayne (Wayne was DH's brother's name; though I feel like we are talking like Daffy Duck when saying it together!).

And... one of my best friends name was Dartania growing up (feminine form of D'artagnan the 4th Musketeer).
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I heard about a woman who named her twins La'Washa and La'Drya, she explained how to spell it "L-A-comma on top..." since she didn't know what an apostrophe is...

hahahahaha:laugh:
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Ever hear of the race car driver D!ck Trickle? Unfortunate name......
    My sons name is Fletcher...not too off the wall but not too common either.

edit because I got stars for his first name.....it's a name!
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ABCD pronounced Absidy.

I do think ppl should be able to name their children what they want w/o gov intervention. Don't they have enough say in our lives as it is?

I agree that alot of names are ridiculous but who am I to judge.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I like the name Lucifer, it means The Morning Star. I don't see any issue with calling a child this name.
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    I cant stand guys that have girl names like...

STACY

sucks for them
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My mom's old bass player had kids named Nico and Nigel.

I also know lots of hippies. One of them has gone with strange names for their kids (Star, Rain, etc.) I am a somewhat of a hippie myself but never considered elemental names.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I went to high school with a girl name Happy Anne Kuhn. She always told us her parents were hippies :)