Mean Girl Comment

Options

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    That's because large people burn WAY more calories than smaller people. I have a friend that weighs quite a bit more than me and when she does zumba for an hour she burns over 900 calories whereas I burn 500. It's totally normal for her to burn more, she's moving a lot more weight and her heart has to work harder as a result.

So it is entirely plausible that "larger" individuals burn 2,000 calories a day in exercise.

^^This.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Whether they burn more calories or not is their business. Why let something so trivial bother you? Larger people burn more in general. I use to burn up to that many calories and now its a lot less. Let them be and focus on yours.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been at a plateau for what seems like forever, I burn a lot of calories and I think they are pretty accurate, what I don't think is very accurate is my food logging, portion sizes are hard to estimate and if you eat out you can only guess and what's really in that food you are eating. It could be a combination of overestimating burn and underestimating calories consumed or blatant fabrication either way hopefully some good is going on in that persons body. And we all have to rant from time to time :)
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    When I had this on my phone and never really looked online, I would put things in just to check what it would be. So even though I wasn't running for an hour at 10mph, it would show up on my page. Now I just use the site to figure it out.
    Also, some people are like me and our emotions overruled our bodies science. I was working out for quite a while, burning far more than I was consuming (but still not 2000 more than I was eating) and not losing weight. It wasn't until I took care of the emotional issues that I've started to see the benefit of healthy eating and exercise habits.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    At least they're burning calories?
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Im thinking the same thing but then someone explained to me that people that are bigger burn more calories than someone that isnt so big. They said it takes a lot more work for smaller people.

It really makes sense.

One time i worked out 2xs in the same day and logged it separately but MFP posted it as 1 #.
  • AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Calories burned are determined by your weight. As others said, its very possible that theyre not exaggerating or making it up. And if they are- they're only hurting themselves... or not helping themselves. Why let it bother you. It doesnt effect you any.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Bigger people burn more. Period.
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I wonder if they are using the right equipment to monitor their calories burned and putting in their calories burned for the majority of or the whole day instead of just exercise calories. The BodyBugg or BodyMedia armbands will give you calories burned throughout the day but I think this site is only intended for you to put in calories burned during exercise.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't matter how many calories I burn, because I never eat my burn calories and I always add there 250 calories burned by my workout routine which should be like a lot more with all that workout I do, but the point is that it doesn't matter how much you burn, all that matters is how you feel and is it working or not. Love and Peace to all :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and I know exactly how many calories I burn, I only have about 22 lbs. to loose and some days, depending on my mood, I can burn twice the calories doing the very same activity. Mind you I have never burned more than 1,200 calories of exercise in one day, and can see how someone much heavier would burn a lot more. But if some of them are cheating, then they're only hurting themselves and there's nothing I can do about that.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The heavier a person is.... the more calories they burn. For instance, if you strap a 20lbs back-pack and go for a hike, YOU will burn more calories than on the same hike without it.

I wish I could go into the science and the physics, but I am sure that you can google it yourself.
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    I'm lucky to burn 700 calories in an hour during my work out, and I'm not even sure that is accurate.
  • Dawn1084
    Dawn1084 Posts: 17
    Options
    I actually noticed that when I put my weight into the treadmill it will show at the end of my work out that I burned more calories than if I just hit the "quick start" and go without putting my weight in.
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can't always blame the person. I have found that a lot of the exercise in the MFP database is wrong. If they are not taking the extra time to double check it, and are just entering it and trusting MFP it could be wrong. I burned 1707 yesterday, and I know that it is correct. I walked for an hour, did Zumba for 65 mins, and rode my bike for a half hour. You also have to remember that people at different weights burn differently. This especially make sense with you saying they are "larger" someone who is 150 pounds vs someone who is 300 burns DRASTICALLY different calories doing the same thing. What you said is mean, it is not your place to judge. If they want to lie to themselves (if that is even what they are doing) that is their problem. Its one of those "mind your own business" kind of things. If it bothers you THAT much. Delete them.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    //agrees with everyone about the larger=morecaloriesburned ratio ... Sometimes I wonder why I don't burn much, and then I remember I'm not THAT big :DDD hahaha ... it's kinda nice to realize you aren't as big as you think you are. :smile:
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I guess it's because some people use an HRM, while others, like me, who either don't want one or can't afford one use the MFP calories. I try to underestimate the calories I burned to be more accurate, so for example, instead of saying I did 90 minutes of vigorous swimming, I say I did 90 minutes of slow/moderate swimming. I hope this averages out, and I have been losing weight. Others simply take the MFP cals for what they are. But yes, I agree that overestimating calories burned is obviously not going to help anyone, and sometimes it bothers me as well :)
    Uber Geek time.
    When you swim, not only are you burning calories aerobically, you are burning a TON of calories thermally. Essentially, your core body temperature (98.6F) is doing it's best to heat up the pool, which is likely in the 75F range. So, your caloric burn is only a fraction of the total work your body is doing. That's why you can work out, without getting over-heated; and if you sit still for awhile, you turn blue.

My belief is that those calories are accurate. Plus, there is the additional 'heavy person' advantage of the fact that we are toting around 40-100 lbs of dead weight while we swim our laps, versus the normal sized folks who are simply moving a LOT less mass. Bigger people burn more calories doing these things, than smaller people. It's just basic physics.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Amount of calories burned does flucuate by person, and if you have ever been overweight you would understand that it is a long process to take off the weight. There are alot of factors that contribute to weight gain. Its not like people are burning all those calories everyday and BECAME overweight. I am happy for the people who have a chance to do these great workouts, and glad that they are taking their health in their own hands. Have you by any chance noticed how much weight they lost so far? My MFP friends who do great burns, they are showing losses, and are still on the journey. We are here to lose the weight and if doing a lot of exercise is going to speed up the process, then why are you letting it bother you??
  • Tdavy814
    Tdavy814 Posts: 28
    Options
    Im 280 some pounds, it really depends on what you weigh, the more you weigh the more your going to burn... I wish i had the problem of not burning as many cals just walking or doing the wii fi... my heart just starts pounding when doing the wii fit... But it must be working it that happens... so if you weigh alot you will burn alot...
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why this is a discussion? Why does it make people mad (or whatever emotions are envoked) that people are burning calories? And if they are not truthful, what's it off you?