Water Fasting...What's your experience?

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There are reasons that lots of the world's spiritual traditions and religions incorporate fasting. Short-term fasts can be useful in a spiritual sense to help you do things like focus your intentions on a specific goal or problem in your life. If you approach it as a mental break or reset, you might find it useful for your life. Physically, though, it won't do anything in the long term. Our bodies are much tougher and much more flexible than we give them credit for.

Keep in mind that fasting during summer is more taxing that fasting during other seasons, so pick a day when you can take it relatively easy. Don't go run around outside in full sun. You might also want to incorporate some salts or electrolytes into your water.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a 24-48 hour water fast for spiritual/psychological benefit. Be purposeful and deliberate.

Prepare yourself physically and mentally. If caffeine is an issue, deal with that in the days previous to the fast.

During the fast, take the time you would normally have spent preparing and eating your meals to devote to some other purpose, Pray, meditate, etc.

That is in my opinion one major benefit of the fasting period, the extra time to put towards self growth or spiritual growth.

Afterwards, set aside time to reflect on how you felt before, during, and after. If a "reset" is what you're looking for. take advantage of the experience to reset.

Above all, remember, it's a discipline, not a punishment.

This ^
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I was in college in the 80's my roommate and I did this fad diet thing where we fasted three days a week and ate normally the other four (I think we drank water and juice). We lost weight...while we were doing it. Gained it back when we started eating 7 days a week though. I don't recall any ill effects, other than being hungry. It didn't last long though, because - food. Would I do it again? No. Because - food... and of course, any loss doesn't last.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a 24-48 hour water fast for spiritual/psychological benefit. Be purposeful and deliberate.

Prepare yourself physically and mentally. If caffeine is an issue, deal with that in the days previous to the fast.

During the fast, take the time you would normally have spent preparing and eating your meals to devote to some other purpose, Pray, meditate, etc.

That is in my opinion one major benefit of the fasting period, the extra time to put towards self growth or spiritual growth.

Afterwards, set aside time to reflect on how you felt before, during, and after. If a "reset" is what you're looking for. take advantage of the experience to reset.

This is such a well-articulated, thoughtful response! I personally don't water fast, but I understand the desire for a deliberate, sort of radical, event to inspire reflection and denote a change.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »

This is such a well-articulated, thoughtful response! I personally don't water fast, but I understand the desire for a deliberate, sort of radical, event to inspire reflection and denote a change.

I agree (with you and with @stanmann571 post), but OP specifically stated she wanted to do it as a detox, because a friend said a water fast helped her detox her system which made living a healthier lifestyle easier. And OP has already radically changed her diet. I get that fasting can be a spiritual tool (though one that would not work for me because hangry LOL) but nothing OP has said would suggest this is her goal.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will get the support or answers you are looking for when most people are on health and fitness lifestyles which is usually the opposite of fasting. Spiritual groups might be more your thing for advice and support since those are the types who tend to do things like that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    So recently I've been researching water fasting. Not just for my health, but I also feel very drawn to it for other personal reasons as well. An overall reset lets say. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done one, and if so, what was your experience? In addition:

How long did you fast for?
    What were your pros/cons?
    Overall, how did you feel during and after it?
    Would you do it again, why or why not?

Just hoping to gain some insight, so that I can make a well informed decision. Thanks so much. I hope you all are having a great day and your journey is awesome :)
    kimny72 wrote: »
    doggerland wrote: »

I agree (with you and with @stanmann571 post), but OP specifically stated she wanted to do it as a detox, because a friend said a water fast helped her detox her system which made living a healthier lifestyle easier. And OP has already radically changed her diet. I get that fasting can be a spiritual tool (though one that would not work for me because hangry LOL) but nothing OP has said would suggest this is her goal.

Nothing there about detox.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    @awildwomanatheart I guess it would help to explain why you want to do this water fast, and what you're hoping to accomplish by doing it? :smile:

Well first of all, I haven't decided yet to do one, but my initial interest was drawn by some friends of mine who have done so before. They talked about how it, in their words, helped to detox/reset their systems, start their new lifestyles fresh, and for one over time has helped her maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've already changed my habits, sticking mainly to proteins, veggies, fruit and only water. No added sugars or processed foods, and already I feel a lot better. I was only considering a fast for a day or two just to perhaps help detox a bit more. Nothing extreme, I assure you.

If you have healthy kidneys and a healthy liver, you do not need to reset or detox, and you're buying into the bs the diet/health industry is selling you. You ARE following trends.

Water fasting is not a trend.

"detoxing" and "resetting" are trends that are fed to us by the diet industry. Again, barring health issues, the body does all the detoxing it needs on its own and doesn't need help.

Yes, but water fasting is something 99% of world religions have done for millennia.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    @awildwomanatheart I guess it would help to explain why you want to do this water fast, and what you're hoping to accomplish by doing it? :smile:

Well first of all, I haven't decided yet to do one, but my initial interest was drawn by some friends of mine who have done so before. They talked about how it, in their words, helped to detox/reset their systems, start their new lifestyles fresh, and for one over time has helped her maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've already changed my habits, sticking mainly to proteins, veggies, fruit and only water. No added sugars or processed foods, and already I feel a lot better. I was only considering a fast for a day or two just to perhaps help detox a bit more. Nothing extreme, I assure you.

Her initial interest was sparked by people who used it to "detox and reset their systems".
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Edited because double post.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

@stanmann571 She posted this later in the thread. So I guess mixed messages.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    stelafaro wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting can be very helpful to weight loss. Many studies show that it can have powerful effects on your body and brain, and may even help you live longer.

Intermittent fasting is not the subject of the thread.

It is helpful for some, but because it helps reduce calories/keep a deficit.