Treated differently after weightloss

Options

Replies

• thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »
    I've been really intrigued lately hearing stories of how people were treated differently by people after their weightloss, and most feel they are being treated much better than when they were overweight. If you have a story you would like to share relating to the topic, feel free to post here. Some of these situations are sad and unfair, but can also be motivating to hear. Plus maybe we can learn from these stories and become more accepting and friendly to all people we encounter.

For my own adding to the post, I am reflecting to when I was over 35 lbs heavier I was always left out of things and would often have to ask to be included in things, and when I lost weight I seemed to be included in much more things and it seemed like people now actually wanted me around, when before I felt like people were annoyed of my presence.

Don't you think you're more confident, though? Maybe they weren't disgusted by you or something, maybe you're more confident now and more open? So maybe they feel like you WANT to go do things?
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    kalamarikm wrote: »
    I've been really intrigued lately hearing stories of how people were treated differently by people after their weightloss, and most feel they are being treated much better than when they were overweight. If you have a story you would like to share relating to the topic, feel free to post here. Some of these situations are sad and unfair, but can also be motivating to hear. Plus maybe we can learn from these stories and become more accepting and friendly to all people we encounter.

For my own adding to the post, I am reflecting to when I was over 35 lbs heavier I was always left out of things and would often have to ask to be included in things, and when I lost weight I seemed to be included in much more things and it seemed like people now actually wanted me around, when before I felt like people were annoyed of my presence.

Don't you think you're more confident, though? Maybe they weren't disgusted by you or something, maybe you're more confident now and more open? So maybe they feel like you WANT to go do things?

I totally understand this perspective but I also don't know if this is true in my case. I've always been shy, so I'm usually not the one to go over to someone to start a conversation, and when I was obese no one would even try to talk to me, but now even though I am still shy, people come over to me and start conversations. It's like I was invisible when I was unhealthy. It's hard to know if people are talking to me more because I'm more confident, or am I more confident because people are talking to me more?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    kalamarikm wrote: »

I totally understand this perspective but I also don't know if this is true in my case. I've always been shy, so I'm usually not the one to go over to someone to start a conversation, and when I was obese no one would even try to talk to me, but now even though I am still shy, people come over to me and start conversations. It's like I was invisible when I was unhealthy. It's hard to know if people are talking to me more because I'm more confident, or am I more confident because people are talking to me more?

I would say it's both - this relationship is cyclic, not linear. Your confidence is increasing because you are becoming increasingly familiar with a formerly unfamiliar activity. You've created a positive feedback loop. Keep it up!
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I believe when we lose weight, our cofidcence peaks and we become more positive and radiates and people are attracted to that and naturally react positively.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Rawr1978 wrote: »
    When i was in a healthy BMI range, I had a much easier time. Once I gained weight, I was regarded as "not as good" as I was thinner. Had one friend tell my bf, "she'd be a 9 if she were thinner."
    I'm losing the weight now because I'm tired of feeling like my body is breaking down, not because I want to please those who feel I'm "better" when thin. They can suck it.

They can suck it indeed! You have a great outlook on weight loss, and it is so important to lose weight for yourself, and for how it will make YOU feel.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Just from a professional of view google "wage of fat people compared to fit". This is full on *kitten* but statistics show an overweight female can make as much as $9000 a year less than a skinny female. Now I am a guy and find jacked up. Should it matter in most office jobs?

For men being slightly overweight is ok but obese or more is not. From a Business Insider story here is a quote "What we found across our studies is that obesity serves as a proxy for low competence," Schweitzer said in a release. "People judge obese people to be less competent even when it's not the case."

In my company there is not one obese person in upper management. We also have very few in mid management that push into the obese range. This does not correlate to the average amount of obese people.

How you are treated professionally is one of reasons I am losing weight. It's lower on the list but when you hear of the CEO talking *kitten* about a "fat" person you know full well that weight affects your pay.

This is something that I was very concerned with when I went back into the job market (Overweight BMI), and then the last time that I switched jobs after gaining *more* weight (Obese BMI). I'm happy that in my field, most interviews are over the phone (distance), and I got my first pick job both times so the weight didn't matter.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    well, it depends on the crowd you're in. like me, when Im around people who are the same race as me, they make fun of me. they point out that i'm bigger than the usual. it's just asian women tend to be smaller and im not. but when I'm with other race they always make me feel contented with my body. like how they say they like thick women or that you're not fat. well bad for me, I'm always around the wrong crowd so I feel like crap.

my brother's poor ex got a lot of that from her parents. She's Japanese and her parents would tell her to watch her weight when she hit triple digits, granted she was under 5 feet, but seriously, 105 lbs is not fat!
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing this with my best male friend the other day - I am trying to get back to my pre-winter weight of 135 and i'm currently 142 but I seem to get hit on MORE by men when i'm chubbier (i'm still a DD chest when I'm at 135 so it's not a matter of losing my "curves") and he said men are "intimidated" by a super fit woman and they think they have a chance if I'm not super fit!! Not sure I buy into that but I def get hit on by more guys when i have a few extra pounds, for whatever reason.
  • pgranger921
    pgranger921 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that strangers do treat me better now. I can't think of any specific story, but speaking generally, I feel more accepted. But I also think that now, i'm confident and extroverted instead of insecure and introverted, so that probably plays a big part, too.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Before, no one ever told me to stop gaining weight but now they feel like they have the right to tell me to stop losing weight. I wouldn't have had to lose so much weight or work as hard if they had put their two cents in earlier. Also, I do feel like both men and women are more eager to interact with me, most likely because I project confidence and optimism, something I didn't necessarily have before. However, suddenly being more physically attractive can be annoying at times because when people flirt with me, I can't help but think, "You wouldn't have talked to me 20+ lbs ago."

All that aside, I never felt like I was treated poorly when I was overweight. I was just not paid attention to very much. I was the cute chubby friend.

I had people telling me to stop losing weight while I was still fairly into the overweight range for my height. "Don't you think you should stop now?" Uhh.. I'm not even 'healthy', yet.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was always the biggest girl in my class growing up, both height and weight until my teens when a bunch of other girls also became tall so it was just weight (ha).

But I seriously didn't think people treated me badly for my size or anything like that, even when I was morbidly obese...until I hit a "normal weight" in my mid thirties, and suddenly realized how with just that one change, still wearing similar styles, having the same level of professional success, same basic lifestyle, etc...I was being flirted with more by different types of guys, and women in my peer group were taking a big interest in me right away when meeting through work or mutual friends. Whereas before, they were polite, now, they are often like "OMG you have to come to this concert/party/whatever" and when I was bigger, I did not get that sort of invitation from relative strangers, just from people I'd known forever and considered close friends.

For me that is the biggest difference. It's been weird.

I am happily married so this part's a moot point...but as for the types of guys who hit on me, it's SO predictable. When I was fat it was definitely the cutest guys in my opinion, edgy artsy guys, and often inappropriately young guys. I was so used to that, I almost miss it sometimes. haha When I'm thinner with very short hair, it's women and really sporty types of guys who are younger up to my age. When I'm thinner with longer hair and dressed more conservatively for work, it's old guys who are much more overt & aggressive.

I was also a person who has (and am told I project) quite a lot of self confidence whether obese or not. I wasn't embarrassed of my body/looks before. If anything, I'm more conscious of my looks now because I've hit 40 and combined with major weight loss I am starting to see the signs of age, so while I may not fidget with my clothing like I once did, I'm always concerned about looking old or dressing too young and all of that superfun exciting stuff that women get to deal with...

I have also had heavier women (usually still way smaller than I was 10 years ago) give me really dirty looks. Based on what, I truly have no idea. In my head I'm still a size 24 most of the time so I am always really surprised and confused by this and I don't even know what the issue is...I mean, I could just be standing in line at a coffee shop and suddenly some woman is GLARING. I am a very average woman so it's odd but an acquaintance of mine insists that "all women hate women who are thinner than them". I am sooooooo glad that I was never like that mentally, holy crap. What a waste of energy! I hope it's not true for more than a tiny handful of people.

Remarkable observation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!