Yet another rant about physicians!

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Open up your app and show your physician your diary. Show him you are putting in the effort and logging your food - that might give him pause to criticize your eating habits (or he'll find something to harp on like your sodium intake).

Also, keep in mind that exercise has other health/wellness benefits besides contributing to weight loss, so he'll probably keep bringing it up for those reasons.

I recommend this to many people, especially in the hypothyroid forums. Doctors (and all professionals) do well with data and have difficulty making proper diagnosis on subjective feelings. Bringing data at least brings a foundation to debate on.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2017
    Several people have mentioned correctly that the average doctor only gets around 20 contact hours of instruction on nutrition in med school. I would agree there should be more emphasis placed on it. The number may be somewhat misleading though due to the number of chemistry, biology, anatomy, etc classes they take and that some overlap with nutrition studies. Plus it would not include anything they took in undergrad.

However, not disrespecting anyone but I bet I would be safe to assume the average internet forum poster that posts on nutrition has 0 contact hours of nutrition instruction.

BTW, I haven't started reading it yet, but I picked up a used college nutrition textbook. They play the game of new editions with little change in content to force the kids to buy new books.

Here's the link to the 14th (current) edition, at $236 new, there is a link in the page to buy the 13th edition for $16 (copyright 2012 so pretty current). IMO a good way to get some reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Nutrition-Eleanor-Noss-Whitney/dp/128587434X
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Nutrition classes should be mandatory for anyone claiming to be an internet expert. I DONT claim to be an expert, but I did have a minor in nutrition in University. There's so much to learn and even more false information out there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Open up your app and show your physician your diary. Show him you are putting in the effort and logging your food - that might give him pause to criticize your eating habits (or he'll find something to harp on like your sodium intake).

Also, keep in mind that exercise has other health/wellness benefits besides contributing to weight loss, so he'll probably keep bringing it up for those reasons.

I recommend this to many people, especially in the hypothyroid forums. Doctors (and all professionals) do well with data and have difficulty making proper diagnosis on subjective feelings. Bringing data at least brings a foundation to debate on.

My primary care (a nurse practitioner aka APNP) loves me. When I come in for a regular visit, I show up with my spreadsheets where I record my daily blood glucose readings and weigh-ins, along with notes like the days I was on vacation or had an especially long hike, etc. I also print out the 90 day reports from MFP showing my daily carbs, iron, protein, and total and net calories (all of which are pertinent to my specific ongoing health needs)

She has (with my permission) shown them to other patients as examples 1) Yes, losing weight and lowering A1C can be done and 2) There is so much information available to really get a feel for what is working and what isn't.

Isn't it amazing? I'm on a high dose of Synthroid which holds a higher risk for heart palpitations, so I allay my treating endocrinologist's fears by providing EKG and stress test data...otherwise if I was the litigious sort I could file suit. I've produced my MFP data along with other supporting data so that we both are making sound decisions.

I wonder this every time I hear complaints about medical professionals. Are you descriptive and specific with your symptoms? Are you allowing a foundation to be built or are you leading questions/answers based on confirmation bias?
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Sand55mfp wrote: »
    Emmygm wrote: »
    Nutrition classes should be mandatory for anyone claiming to be an internet expert. I DONT claim to be an expert, but I did have a minor in nutrition in University. There's so much to learn and even more false information out there.

Never claimed to be one, I just said how things are for me and how what I read and tried worked, we might have different views of life but under the skin we're all the same, if you don't try you'll never know

I wasn't commenting on you, just a general comment. No need to take it personally ;)