August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    OK OK I'm back for actually this time. I was pretty half-*kitten* about it in May. But I am signed up for a fall marathon (fingers crossed for a BQ!) and training started last week in earnest.

August goal of 250 miles.

Excited to see all your challenge forum shenanigans this month :)

Welcome back!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Glad to see all the usual suspects in for August (welcome back @7lenny7 )! Throwing in for 420k/262mi since I have to cut some miles out of my training plan if I'm going to make a hard run at qualifying at Edmonton on the 20th.

How the hell is autumn running almost upon us btw? Slow down time!

ugh.... making me feel lazy again.... LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yay! @kristinegift :love: Glad you're back!!! Good luck on the BQ!!!

And Welcome @EHollander89 !!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kevaasen There's a group on Strava for this challenge group, you might want to look it up.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen There's a group on Strava for this challenge group, you might want to look it up.

He is already a member :)

But for everyone else here is the group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - love that the hot dog drama is ongoing! The newbies really will think we are crazy! BTW - Welcome to all of you newbies! We really are a bunch of crazy runners who love to talk about running and well... hot dogs and other things too :)
    Welcome back @PastorVincent :wink:
    @seanevan10 - I am in Dallas fairly often for work as my company has HQ in Irving (was originally a Dallas based company that was bought out by a French company) At the end of the month I will be there with a whole group of people for training but maybe on one of my trips we can plan a get together with @Elise4270 if she is over that way. We tried once before and I got tied up but I would love to meet some of the crazies here!
    @allyphoe - My definition of conversational is not gasping while talking. I would not consider the youtube guy as running at a conversational pace, but that is just my definition.
    @5512bf - Great to have you back!
    Welcome back @kristinegift! The shenanigans have missed your input! :smiley:
    @girlinahat - when I started out with my 0 drop shoes I ran in them only once or twice a week for short runs - 3 to 4 miles. As my legs felt better and better (and I was running faster in them) I brought them into my rotation more often and for longer runs. Now they are pretty much all I wear. I do have some 4 and 6mm which doesn't seem like a huge difference but they definitely feel so different when I run in them.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So excited to be "running" again this month with you all! I'm hoping for 90 this month.
    Love the weird humor! But ya know it looks like Relish is the way to go!
    y3sqaw45ji1c.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @seanevan10 I'd be an honor to catch up with you ladies!! Just say when!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Nominal goal: 44 miles, calculated as 3 miles x 3 runs a week for the first 2 weeks, then adding a 4th day starting at 1 mile for the second 2 weeks.

Actual goals:
    - Figure out how to run 3-4 days a week while also getting my teenager to and from school and activities and myself to work on time, while complying with my preferred running path's dusk-to-dawn curfew.
    - Do at least 30 minutes of yoga for every mile run.
    - Do at least 30 minutes of additional non-running physical activity for every mile run.
    - Keep my acute-to-chronic ratio below 1.2. (This basically means "learn how to not run as far as I want to.")
    - Keep a more consistent pace from mile to mile. (This basically means "learn how not to run as fast as I want to.")

I have a dumb question, because I am dumb. :)What the heck is conversational pace? I am generally a hard grader, and there is an *enormous* gap between "can speak entire sentences with relative ease" and "gasping between words." This guy on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLQ5mU952f0 ) thinks he's running at a conversational pace, and that amount of out-of-breath-ness is gaspier than I am on a flat, but less gaspy than I am on an incline.

I could only stand to watch about a minute and a half. During that time, this guy is *NOT* running at a conversational pace. The experienced runners I know are less gaspy than that running at threshold pace, and are able to hold conversations at the level of "can speak entire sentences with relative ease" at marathon pace.

The solo running test I've seen bandied about is, can you recite the Pledge of Allegiance in the same cadence, with the same breathing pattern that you did in grade school? Of course, this test only works for people in the United States. (Do we still have grade school kids recite the pledge in school?) But anything familiar and liturgical will work. The Lord's Prayer, for those of Christian persuasion. Perhaps some familiar Hebrew prayers that are sung, for those of Jewish persuasion. Maybe just sing a familiar song without having to breathe un-naturally.

Example: 6.6 miles into a paced run, the route went onto a street named "Robin Hood Lane." Because that amused me, I sang the chorus from a Robin Hood TV show of my childhood. My breath control was the same as if I had been standing in the chancel at church for choir rehearsal. That's running at a conversational pace. To be fair, it was also running slower than I would have run solo because I was responsible for holding the pace for other runners. The other runners in the group might have been working harder, relative to their own capacity, than I was; but they could all speak in complete sentences with relative ease.