What are you practicing to be better at?

Options

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Improve my strict pull ups: i can link 4 at the moment and want to link 10. Improve my running so i get a sub 1:45 half marathon in October.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Bench - want to hit reps with 4 plates total (225lbs), currently at 165lbs
    Squat - want to hit reps with 6 plates total (315lbs), currently at 270lbs
    Deadlift - want to hit reps with 8 plates total (405lbs), currently at 340lbs

This may take me months but they are all achievable.

Google working with chains on the bar. The idea behind it is you can increase resistance at the top of the lift and keep it the same at the bottom.

Surely bands, not chains?

Either, really, but there will be some added resistance regardless. Unless using reverse bands, but then the weight on the bar needs to go up, not the same. But WS programming often isn't appropriate for raw lifters. It's fine for specific cases and occasional use, but usually not as an everyday programming mode.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Cycling - I want to get faster and build endurance. I just hired a coach.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Google working with chains on the bar. The idea behind it is you can increase resistance at the top of the lift and keep it the same at the bottom.

Either, really, but there will be some added resistance regardless. Unless using reverse bands, but then the weight on the bar needs to go up, not the same. But WS programming often isn't appropriate for raw lifters. It's fine for specific cases and occasional use, but usually not as an everyday programming mode.

I was questioning the concept that chains "can increase resistance at the top of the lift and keep it the same at the bottom." - I don't think that that is the case, but it is the case with bands.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Cinflo58 wrote: »
    Cycling - I want to get faster and build endurance. I just hired a coach.

Exactly what I'm trying to do ... only without a coach.
  • TR0berts
    edited August 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I was questioning the concept that chains "can increase resistance at the top of the lift and keep it the same at the bottom." - I don't think that that is the case, but it is the case with bands.

No - not even with bands. There will still be added resistance at the bottom. How much depends on the bands' properties and how you set them up. But it'll still be there.

I suppose you could set them up in a power cage, with the bands around the safety rails, but that wouldn't really be a good idea to have no tension at the bottom, as the bands could easily move and force the bar to twist.

eta: But, yeah - the part about chains is incorrect - more weight at the top (provided the chains reach the floor at the bottom), but definitely not zero at the bottom.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Right now its improving my hill climbing on the bike. This fall I plan to get some more swim coaching, since I'm a mediocre swimmer. I'm thinking of signing up for next year's Ironman Lake Placid race, so I want to make the swim segment less of a chore by improving my stroke over the winter.
  • Wednesday_Mouse
    Wednesday_Mouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Swimming - I've got a 5.25mile swim in September that I really need to be trained up for. I had a swim coaching session a few weeks back which gave me some great pointers on improving my stroke for distance swimming, I just need to build up my distance/time in the water now.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am practicing to get off the toilet all by myself when i am 90 and to not die before that. does that count?
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Loving myself and embracing 30!
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    Loving myself and embracing 30!

30 is a good age
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Everything! I wanna be better at everything

This!

The thing I'm really excited about is doing gymnastics again. I've nailed left side cartwheels, round offs and can hold a handstand for a few seconds. Currently I am trying to do a back walkover. I did manage to get the backbend part, but kicking over is not happening yet.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts- I can do them correctly with an empty bar essentially forever but add a little weight and I lose form.

that's me with squats, except 'add the bar' . . . and it isn't a matter of weight.

mine is equalizing the strength and i guess 'dexterity' between my two feet, as well as the ankles attached to them. i'm taking this seriously after 3 years of lifting, because something happened about a month back that made it clear i can't progress any further until i fix this, with deadlifts particularly.

well, i could. i suppose. but the amount of difference it makes to my left-right abilities, i'm not stupid enough to want to. i have the foot and toes themselves up to at least 70%ish right now, but the moment i did start to get that whole foot on the ground and bring it into my lifts, it became obvious that i'm going to have to work on every single muscle, tendon and ligament upstream from it.

i'm fine with that. at least for right now, anyway. i see no point in fixing my feet just to rip a hamstring loose at the opposite end, so yeah. at least i like the feeling of having a specific project and a finite length of leg to work on until it's all gone. and really really curious to find out what will happen when/as i do start to get this whole thing sorted out.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    • Vertical leaps
    • Rope climbs without using one's legs
    • Similarly, climbing a vertical cargo net without using one's legs
    • Pull-ups. (I can do a good number, but I need to do more -- and do them faster.)
    • Sprinting. Also, tackling a warped wall.
    • Grip-related challenges in an obstacle course race
    • Climbing pegboards
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts- I can do them correctly with an empty bar essentially forever but add a little weight and I lose form.

that's me with squats, except 'add the bar' . . . and it isn't a matter of weight.

mine is equalizing the strength and i guess 'dexterity' between my two feet, as well as the ankles attached to them. i'm taking this seriously after 3 years of lifting, because something happened about a month back that made it clear i can't progress any further until i fix this, with deadlifts particularly.

well, i could. i suppose. but the amount of difference it makes to my left-right abilities, i'm not stupid enough to want to. i have the foot and toes themselves up to at least 70%ish right now, but the moment i did start to get that whole foot on the ground and bring it into my lifts, it became obvious that i'm going to have to work on every single muscle, tendon and ligament upstream from it.

i'm fine with that. at least for right now, anyway. i see no point in fixing my feet just to rip a hamstring loose at the opposite end, so yeah. at least i like the feeling of having a specific project and a finite length of leg to work on until it's all gone. and really really curious to find out what will happen when/as i do start to get this whole thing sorted out.

I am glad you have a specific plan to work on it- I feel the same way about avoiding injury at this stage, which is why I am keeping things light and seeking some additional help. Good luck to you, I hope your plan helps.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My balance, which means working on my core muscles. Also push-ups.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Picking things up and putting them down.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm practicing to be more disciplined and mentally tough. I've done a lot of great conditioning for the exercise I do and events I like (half and full marathons <3), and it's my mind telling me that I'm tired, I should stop, I need a break, etc. etc. that keeps me from making the most of my training on race day.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Pushing through hunger so I can lose these last 21 lbs.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This month I'm working on my plank and C25K. Right now I can do a solid 10 seconds 2 times.