Why did you start trying to lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    When i stepped on the scale and it said I weighted 200lbs! being in the 190's was bad but i justified it cuz i was still under 200. I just broke 150, hope to stay under that now!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I got fed up with myself for making excuses not to and fed up with defending my fitness level (which has always been good) by saying 'I know I'm fat but I am fit'. Sick of it. Enough. Started and won!
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    I saw recent photos of myself and really was ashamed of how I looked. I am tired of always giving excuses of why I don't get this extra weight off. I NEED to take control of my life and become healthy for myself and my family.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    because i was a fat *kitten*!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    upcoming wedding...pictures/dress...
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    There are many reasons that can all be summed up to I was extremely unhappy and I didnt think my husband found me attractive anymore, It all stemmed from me not feeling attractive like I did when we first met. Another huge reason was because I was told that I was using my back injury as an excuse to be fat and lazy. I wanted to prove to everyone most of all myself that I could lose the weight and live a full, happy life.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i've tried to get thinner before many times, but with little success- i've always been a chubber!!! so i stopped trying.

then i had 3 kids in 4 years. i was 96kgs before i started popping them out, and 106kgs after i'd finished! i kind of lost myself there for a bit. i turned into wife, mum and full time worker. there wans't enough room for anything else. i was always tired, usually grumpy and kind of sad.

but i never aimed to get any thinner- it had never worked before, so it was the wrong perspective for me. i've always been happy with myself and how i look. i wanted to get fitter. something clicked in my brain about wanting to see my grandkids and be around for them. i don't want to die of a heart attack at 45 and never see my babies grow up. that scares me.

but it all started becasue me and my hubby had a massive argument one night, and he told me to bugger off out of the house and take the dog for a walk. well that 30 mins on my own was just what i needed! then i started running. and i haven't stopped! i run for time away and to just be me (not the mum/wife/boss), and it gives me a sense of achievement. plus i can keep up with the kids now and i'm not as grumpy. my hubby thinks it's great too. he likes that i have a hobby now. he says that i'm more like i was when we 1st met. and i'm 6kgs away from the weight i was when we 1st met.
  • daniellenicole923
    Options
    i dont think i wil ever be fully staisfied with myself but i want other people to look at me and say "she's pretty and in great shape" not look away
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    when my wife told me she was no longer attracted to me :(

the first time i started losing weight it was because my husband said he was no longer attracted to me. because i did it for him and not for me the weight stayed off for only a few months. this time i am only 5lbs away from when my husband considered me to be "hot" again and this time has been WAY different. i did it for me and i did it for my kids. i did it mainly for my kids though because i don't want them to be overweight. i want them to know what healthy is like and i want them to want to be healthy.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    my little boy is 2 1/2.. he came in when i was chaning clothes the other morning and said "mommy i love how your big ole belly moves"... "waittt a minute...before you my belly didn't move" LOL hehehe so here i am
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been saying for years "I'm going to lose weight." But everything else just seemed easier. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and high blood pressure I am only 22. But that still didn't scare me much.

This past weekend my mom was put into the hospital. She has diabetes and got an infection in her foot. They had to remove one of her toes. She's had two surgeries in two days. It really hit me, that if I don't get serious I will die sooner rather than latter. My mom might miss out on her grandchild growing up if she doesn't fix things. But if I don't it's a great possibility that I won't even get to see any grandchildren. It was my wake-up call.
  • Selly7749
    Selly7749 Posts: 48
    Options
    I came home from uni for my 21st Birthday. went for a meal with my nan, who hadn't seen me in about a year. And the minute I walked through the door, she said "my goodness Selina, you're as big as ever! you're fat! you need to lose weight!"

I was mortified. And it made me realise that for months I'd not let anyone take pictures of me, I didn't want to leave the house too much cus I always felt I looked awful, I was tired, lethargic. I'm ballsy and passionate and hard working, so I'd still done some brilliant things - I'd been naked on stage at 19stone, (poor audience!), I'd directed a play, and I'd gotten myself through a year of uni after a breakdown. But I still wasn't looking after myself. I felt like I didn't deserve to be thin, to date, to wear nice clothes.

But forget that nonsense I DO! So it's not just the exercise and the good food, I'm spending time and energy on me, whether it's a wax, a new dress, plucking my eyebrows, getting my hair or nails done, or just getting some bio oil on my stretch marks. I'm a good person, and I deserve to look and feel good in every single way, just like everyone else and that's what I'm going to do.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It was a lot of things for me. When I saw Zombieland it really freaked me out that I was one of the fatties in the movie that would die early and that made me really sad. There was the moment that I went to put on my jeans fresh from the dryer and I couldn't stop the feeling of dread I had. I knew they were going to be super tight. I knew that I was going to struggle to get into them and they were a size 22. My friend started using an app to help her out and I started to see her progress and that kinda got me thinking. Then I lost both my grandmother and my great grandmother in a span of 6 months both from health issues. and I realized that I needed to do something. Part for my health, part for my vanity. I was tired of being the unhealthy, unhappy fat girl. I want to be healthy and want to feel like I'm beautiful. I also would like to be called hot once in my life darn it! So I got started. And here I am. a year later about 70lbs less of me. I have much more to go but I'm still plugging away. :)
  • Ellsqueak
    Ellsqueak Posts: 14
    Options
    I want to feel the way I did when I first met my boyfriend! I want to feel my hip bones without so much effort! I want my waist back! I want to be healthy for if/when we have kids! I want to look great for the wedding! I want to love moving again!
  • adales1970
    adales1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am just disgusted and disappointed with myself. Also, I have two little boys that I want to do things with and be here for and I don't want them to be embarrassed that they have a fat mom! I need to feel better about myself to be a better wife, mother, and person. :) I can do it!
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was tired of feeling crappy and being the fat guy. A couple of weeks after I started MFP I had a doctor appt. and he told me that I have a train headed my way and I want to get out of it's way I had better do it soon. Gave me the reason to work harder.