Treated differently after weightloss

Options

Replies

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    reverse for me... more attention at over 300lbs.. nw that im in the 170's to 180's i get no attention at all. i guess cause theirs nothing remarkable about me now.. im just a regular fish in the sea.. and I no longer have a big butt or large breasts so no one is paying any attention.. lol

You are crazy! You look great!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been slim and I am large currently.
    When it comes to general treatment, I think people treat you how they assume you treat yourself. When I'm taking the time to groom, put on nice clothes, wear makeup and share my authentic self with people then the response I get is so much warmer. Men and women. Size doesn't seem to affect that.

Career wise, I am believing that study quoted earlier unfortunately. It sucks but unconscious bias is strong. When I'm slim if I get a raise then I'll come back and let you all know ;)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about it because I'm fat still and people have a tendency to always treat me with hatred but I have a friend who lost about 60 lbs and since her weight loss I hate who she has become. She cheats on her husband and looks for male attention a lot and has turned into kind of a party animal. I can't even be friends with her anymore because it's painfully awkward being around her when she's like that.

I had a friend who did that when I was in my late 30s. We both had lost a lot of weight and she went crazy. Still is and it's been ten years ago.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I am surprised that so many people feel more confident thin. Loosing weight was the hardest thing I've ever done, so I am proud of that achievement. Still..I feel like other people conquer bigger challenges every day. However...

In response to the above posts, I now make MORE THAN TRIPLE what I did when I was heavy. On top of that, I now have insurance; so I went from 50% of my income going to health care to barely 4%. I never correlated it having ANYTHING to do with my weight (maybe I'm clueless?), but I do match that statistic.

My obese father made half what my skinny mother made. I still feel like there were other reasons for that, but the fact still stands. The thinner family members on my father's side do make more than the fatter family members.

When the obese were still an abuse-able minority in the country, research pointed to the economic value of height, finding that taller people were paid more, and blonder people were paid more. I'm going to guess that you switched jobs or even careers after or during your weight loss. Whatever the merit, I congratulate you.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    People treat others differently based on outward appearance. Weight, height, age, clothes, skin, hair.. it's human nature. We should all make an attempt not to.

As far as negative treatment, well there are just some people that are going to be negative no matter what. They're jerks, what else can I say.

Now, losing a bunch of weight sometimes shows who was your real friend and who wasn't. I lost some people that I thought were my friends, turns out that as soon as I was no longer bigger than them, they didn't want to hang out with me anymore. That was an eye opener.

Sadly the difference in treatment by those you're closest to hurts the most. And is the most frustrating, because you are still you, there's just less mass.

Seeing how people treat me differently helps me see how horrible double standards are. I try to make a concerted effort to never treat someone differently based on weight, or much else for that matter. There are exception, am I going to go to a party alone when asked by a random guy covered in obvious gang tattoos...no. Random mom at my daughter's school that has kids of her own...maybe, if she seems nice, why not.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about it because I'm fat still and people have a tendency to always treat me with hatred but I have a friend who lost about 60 lbs and since her weight loss I hate who she has become. She cheats on her husband and looks for male attention a lot and has turned into kind of a party animal. I can't even be friends with her anymore because it's painfully awkward being around her when she's like that.

I had a friend who did that when I was in my late 30s. We both had lost a lot of weight and she went crazy. Still is and it's been ten years ago.

I have known many people like this, male and female. It is strange and off-putting to me.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!