how much carbs is too much carbs? - dietary help

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why don't you explain it and cite your sources?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    lorbor93 wrote: »
    Unless you are an athlete or fitness enthusiast, your carbs are very high. Calories in and out is important, but it's not everything. When your body consumes an excess amount of carbs, your glycogen tank is overflowing and triggering a spike in insulin. When you secrete too much insulin, your body goes into fat storing mode.

My advice, increase your fat and protein intake and lower your carbs. I'm 5'4, 122 lbs and train 3-4 times a week and I eat under 20g of NET carbs a day (Keto). I'm not suggesting you go keto, but if you aren't burning off that glycogen why are you eating so much of it?

Hope that helps, good luck :)

An average body has a storage capacity of 300-500g of carbs (more if you workout). And considering that when losing weight, you cut down on carbs naturally, I'd doubt someone (even a plant based follower) would exceed those levels.

And realistically, one can store fat regardless of insulin levels. Your body is evolved to have multiple hormones to store nutrients; insulin, acylation stimulating protein, glucose-dependent insulintropic peptide to name a few.

She's not exceeding her glycogen stores.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    goodtroyes wrote: »
    yeah yesterday wasn't my best day food wise and i didn't have any vegetables

OP, I'm sorry your thread got derailed by an argument, but you've already gotten lots of good info. There is no one magic number for "how much carbs". Most veteran MFPers focus on hitting or slightly exceeding their fat and protein goals, and let carbs fall where they may.

What helped me was to focus on hitting my protein and fat numbers. I don't pay much attention to carbs at all. I eat 1500-1600 cals and try to get over 90g of protein and 40g of fat. So I'm usually at 50% carbs and 25% protein, 25% fat. There is nothing wrong with bread and crackers, if you like them, eat them! Just make sure you aren't eating so much bread that you can't fulfill your other goals. Good luck :drinker:

^What she said. I even have the same protein and fat goals!