August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well I was able to get out and do 4 miles this morning. First time out since being sick, felt a little weird at first but managed to get back into the swing OK. Kept it slow, didn't want to overexert myself too much.

Nice day out, too.

Not much else to say. Still feeling pretty *kitten* with the jitteryness and stuff. Doctor appointment on Tuesday.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Overdid this week, part of the reason was I wanted to see how my body would react to 6 days of long runs, partly hypmytised by the Strava leaderboard. My thighgs have felt much worse and I should be good after my rest day today. I will return to my previous format of four runs and two crosstraining days. I may get in an extra small run on those crosstraining days. I think my body will respond better to more nonrunning days and a 40-50 mile week instead of the almost 70 this week.
    @wishiwasarunner and @kgirlhart I love the idea of walking the dogs after the run as a cool down. We are thinking of getting a puppy for the house and it would work well for me to do such.
    @MNLittleFinn keep at it and remember that part of the training process is to figure out how to fuel. I imagine most ultras take years to figure out the right combination and it quite simply is a very individualistic recipe for success. Hope your wife is doing better, she ranks pretty high as a spousal supporter.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I am slowly becoming a Tailwinds fan myself. I recently even gave away all my gels (full case). Still not sure how I will manage it for the marathon next year. I will need to carry 80-100oz of water if I want to depend on Tailwinds for it, and that probably is not practical for me. 40 oz is about what is comfortable on my waist.

I am also finding I need less water when I use TailWinds, I am guessing that is from the increased electrolytes and stuff.

I do add like 3-5grams of sugar to it to help the flavor a bit. I currently do 1 scope to 20oz of water and it is just a bit salty for my tastes. I find a touch of sugar helps.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    So, today was the long run in my training plan. The plan called for 8.98 miles at a 12:03 pace, 1 hour 48 min. I reached 9 miles with about 10 minutes to spare so figured I should finish the time, and then when I finished the time, I was so close to 10 miles that I kept on until I reached 10. So my longest run to date and first time reaching 10 miles. B)

August total/goal: 43.38 / 75

Woot! Congrats!

Also... the place called for 8.98 miles? Not 9? That seems odd. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I am slowly becoming a Tailwinds fan myself. I recently even gave away all my gels (full case). Still not sure how I will manage it for the marathon next year. I will need to carry 80-100oz of water if I want to depend on Tailwinds for it, and that probably is not practical for me. 40 oz is about what is comfortable on my waist.

I am also finding I need less water when I use TailWinds, I am guessing that is from the increased electrolytes and stuff.

I do add like 3-5grams of sugar to it to help the flavor a bit. I currently do 1 scope to 20oz of water and it is just a bit salty for my tastes. I find a touch of sugar helps.
    cool. Which flavor do you use? I used raspberry buzz and didn't get any salty flavor. For Ultra length races (depending on AS distance) I'm planning on carrying either two 17oz or two 21oz bottles with tailwind and having my crew ready with replacements every AS... Longest distance between AS at my fall race is like 5.7 miles. There's one AS with no crew crew access, so I'd plan on bringing Tailwind with me to fill up at that one.... Lots of thinking involved to make this work, but I really like Tailwind so it could.

Oh, just a thought, at my Trail marathon, I made foil packets with tailwind ready to go and used them to refill when I got to the aid stations, so, if you can afford the time to do it, you might be able to do similar without having to carry the full 80-100 ounces.
  • bonniegarbal
    bonniegarbal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked in lately because my carpal tunnel is all flared up : -( scrolling and typing is killer for me lately.

But still running. Completed 27/50 crossing the half way point today. Might not check back for awhile or until my hands are in less pain.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I've seen some parks with large fenced areas where dogs can run free and play inside. Maybe if something like that exists near you, you could run loops around while the dogs have fun? If not, they will probably still enjoy walking with you while after your run while you cool down and do some stretches. It doesn't sound like you have anything to feel guilty about at all!

@BruinsGal_91 Great that your calf felt good during your run! Sounds like revocery is going well.

@PastorVincent Tell your wife that she looks absolutely great in that cape!
    Too bad the race was such an organisational desaster, at least you got a Milestone pod out of it and can analyse all kinds of new statistics about your runs now. :wink:

@MobyCarp I always love reading your race reports, so many insightful details. And a great time, congratulations!

@MNLittleFinn Sorry that your run didn't go as planned. With the news from your wife, I guess it was off to a bad start. :disappointed: I hope you've recovered already from the fall; your new training strategies sound very well thought-through.

@juliet3455 Sounds like a really brillant race! Too bad I live on the wrong continent, otherwise I'd totally come and visit you for the next trail fun event :smiley:

@allyphoe Great 5mi run, well done!

@Wolfger @CrystalConsults and @bbrandi82 Welcome to the group :smile:

@kristinegift I'm totally on board with the "lets have a long autumn" right now plan! I'll never ever be a hot-weather runner (or hot-weather-anything, really ^^).Probably a good idea to cut the run short rather than drag out the suffering.

@Elise4270 If you don't want to log your dream miles as a run, you could at least add them as other "workout" on Strava :mrgreen:

--

I have to admit, I skipped the kr30dc yesterday. I got up at 7 to drive to the Parkrun that started at 9am, after that I just managed to make it to a trial session of a fitness class from 11-13. After that grocery shopping, lunch, shower - in that order, I have to admit ;) . Then I went to Fetes de Geneve with a few friends, first to walk around a bit (or maybe a lot - about 12,000 steps just for the evening*) and then watching the fireworks. They started delayed at 22:30, lasted for almost an hour, and with the crowded public transport I didn't get home until 1am. At which point I just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep. Oh well, skipping one day isn't the end of the world, I might try to do two days in one (am/pm) to make up for it tomorrow.

*I started using the Samsung Health app, and they have a "200,000 steps/month" challenge. Despite that fact that I'm only running 3x per week at the moment and only ran 5km instead of the scheduled 10km yesterday, I got the "finisher badge" notification already today, with 218,700 so far B)

No running today for me, but a very nice hike in the mountains with some friends.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    For the last 2 days Garmin Connect has decided not to sync my steps, it shows what I ran, but zero steps, any ideas? It has been working fine all along. thanks
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cool. Which flavor do you use? I used raspberry buzz and didn't get any salty flavor. For Ultra length races (depending on AS distance) I'm planning on carrying either two 17oz or two 21oz bottles with tailwind and having my crew ready with replacements every AS... Longest distance between AS at my fall race is like 5.7 miles. There's one AS with no crew crew access, so I'd plan on bringing Tailwind with me to fill up at that one.... Lots of thinking involved to make this work, but I really like Tailwind so it could.

Oh, just a thought, at my Trail marathon, I made foil packets with tailwind ready to go and used them to refill when I got to the aid stations, so, if you can afford the time to do it, you might be able to do similar without having to carry the full 80-100 ounces.

Tailwind Nutrition Endurance Fuel Berry 50 Serving ( http://amzn.to/2vvjDHc )

A smarter person than I would have bought the sampler pack and tried different flavors, but I had an Amazon Gift Card that needed spending so I got the big bag. :)

My taste buds are a bit broken though, so do not go by my evaluation of taste. I do not know that "salty" is the right word either, it is almost like it is thicker or heavier.

I brought 20oz of it on that failed 15k that turned into 15 miles. Good thing too, that was ALL I had to drink/eat during it - and I was able to finish strong. I really think there is something to their advertising.

I plan to do more long runs with it (3+ hours) and see, but I am becoming convinced I can get away with drinking (And there by carrying) less water when I use Tailwinds.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent My next purchase is going to be lemon, I tend to prefer tart drinks, and I like the raspberry but want some bite.... might try mixing a "raspberry lemonade" with it.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Finished the weekend with a nice 6.3 miles at a consistent pace every mile within 10 seconds of planned pace for me just a perfect day light breeze low 80s blue skies at my favorite park.
    I am having a little tightness in one inner thigh muscle but considering the increased distances not surprising. I have run all but one day in August over 5 miles every day and kicked up to 6 per day this weekend
    65.8/100 for August challenge thanks to all here for so much motivation
    I am hoping this gives me the base that leads to my first half sometime in early 2018 as a 70YO
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift and @MNLittleFinn - I so agree about the hot and humid weather. I just don't think I ever acclimate. I actually prefer about 30 F for running, but am happy in the 40's- anything above 60F just really drains me. Sorry you both had difficult runs

@juliet3455 - Awesome race and I love the shirt!

@JimCrackinDandy -Great run!

August goals are 90 miles and figuring out what all the info from my new watch means about my training.

Aug 3 - 10 miles
    Aug 4 - 6.2 miles
    Aug 5- 7.5 miles
    Aug 6- too rainy/ wimpy
    Aug 7- 7 miles
    Aug 10- 7.3 miles
    Aug 12 - 12.2 miles
    Aug 13 - 4.8 miles

Total 55/100 goal -

Ugh - I just was not feeling the run today. It was hot and I was feeling that 12 mile run from Saturday as well as the weightlifting session on Thursday still. So I quit a little early and thought - I'll go meet up with my husband who is hike/running a giant hill to break in his hiking boots and get another mile of so of hills in and then go back with him. He had just finished the 1100 feet elevation he was planning and was getting in his car to go back. I had run there but after stopping and talking to him - well I just got right in that air-conditioned vehicle with water waiting and rode home with him instead of at least getting the last 1.5-2 miles home.

Yikes - I have 45 miles left and only 6 days left for my normal schedule of running. I may have set my goal a little high. Definitely should not have wimped out due to the rain on Aug 6 - but as many noted - I don't mind running in the rain - but it is hard to start out in a downpour. I should be able to get it all in as long as I don't have anymore excuses.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner weather is the only reason I'm not too worried about my October race based on my current running.... it was 61 when my run started yesterday and rose to the 90s when we were on the rocks, with an average in the 80s..... Average high on race day in October is lower than the lowest temp I ran in yesterday.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Today I finally ran 10K! My previous best was 5.4 miles and I made it for 6.3 miles today. I had to wait out some storms this morning. It was 78°F and 87% humidity when I started out. I thought I had a good window of time, but at somewhere between 3 - 3.5 miles it started raining. There was no lightening so I kept going. It was really nice. When I started out I felt like the run was going to be really hard, but after about 2.5 miles I just really felt into it. I felt like I could run all day. I love it when I feel that way.

Yay!! Well done!

• roxy2238
    roxy2238 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    8/13 - 4.25 miles.
    Total: 12.25/100