I second that!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wowee @orphia! You are famous!

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I can't wait to read the article about you! You super star! B)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic random thought:

Hey if you like really over priced coffee, Starbucks is having a sale - $20 gift card for $10
    https://starbucks-promotion.cashstar.com/

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    09/08 3.80 miles
    10/08 3.82 miles
    14/08 4.03 miles
    15/08 4.05 miles

exercise.png

• Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    It was only 88F, but it was still so humid.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I'm so envious of all the folks that say their midday run was 74 degrees with 50% humidity. Come run in the Florida swamps, where if the sun is up, you can cook your breakfast egg on the sidewalk!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Dcorrick wrote: »

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I'm so envious of all the folks that say their midday run was 74 degrees with 50% humidity. Come run in the Florida swamps, where if the sun is up, you can cook your breakfast egg on the sidewalk!

ha ha I'm in Alabama and if it's under 72 at 5:30 am I'm like wow it's chilly today
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Random question I've been meaning to ask but kept on forgetting. I have a 5k mud run coming up. To save on gas/parking and get more out of it, I was thinking of running/walking to the event and home again. Total distance would be in the 25 mile range. The mud run itself would be a glorified home and, since it's with my coworkers, it takes like 2 hours, so not exactly taxing.

That all said, How would that work as far as the 25-35% rule for weekly long runs? Technically I'd be running, taking a short break, hiking, taking another short break, and running/walking again..... oh the things my mind comes up with.

Just a note, training plan (reduced one) has a 14 mile set for Sat and a 10 mile for Sun, so I'd be skipping the Sunday run with the total miles on Sat.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options

ha ha I'm in Alabama and if it's under 72 at 5:30 am I'm like wow it's chilly today

I can't say that I like running in the heat. But I am actually more uncomfortable about runnung in the cold. Hot and sweaty is something I understand. Cold and sweaty means you're sick. Luckily we don't have too much cold. I don't really know how to dress for running in cold weather.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I can't say that I like running in the heat. But I am actually more uncomfortable about runnung in the cold. Hot and sweaty is something I understand. Cold and sweaty means you're sick. Luckily we don't have too much cold. I don't really know how to dress for running in cold weather.

I would much rather run in the cold. But I do prefer getting ready to run in the heat over getting ready to run in the cold. Takes like 10 minutes just to get bundled up!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Random question I've been meaning to ask but kept on forgetting. I have a 5k mud run coming up. To save on gas/parking and get more out of it, I was thinking of running/walking to the event and home again. Total distance would be in the 25 mile range. The mud run itself would be a glorified home and, since it's with my coworkers, it takes like 2 hours, so not exactly taxing.

That all said, How would that work as far as the 25-35% rule for weekly long runs? Technically I'd be running, taking a short break, hiking, taking another short break, and running/walking again..... oh the things my mind comes up with.

Just a note, training plan (reduced one) has a 14 mile set for Sat and a 10 mile for Sun, so I'd be skipping the Sunday run with the total miles on Sat.

IMO you would count all 25 miles as a single run. The breaks might midgate to some, but probably not much. I have seen several reports that indicate a 5 mile work out in the morning and a second 5 mile work out in the evening is almost as effective as a 10 mile work out. So I would GUESS the same here.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

IMO you would count all 25 miles as a single run. The breaks might midgate to some, but probably not much. I have seen several reports that indicate a 5 mile work out in the morning and a second 5 mile work out in the evening is almost as effective as a 10 mile work out. So I would GUESS the same here.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, BUT, I have also read that if your HR gets down to recovery level, then you're basically on another run... and the 5k will be 90% at recovery level /warm up HR, that's how slow my coworkers are...LOL Either way, I should be OK, just have some shuffling to do to my schedule the way it is.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    8/01/2017 - 0 miles
    8/02/2017 - 9 miles Z3/Z4
    8/03/2017 - 7 miles Z2
    8/04/2017 - 5 Easy miles
    8/05/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k - 23:18
    8/05/2017 - Howl at the Moon 5k - 25:11
    8/06/2017 - Rest
    8/07/2017 - 7.75 miles
    8/08/2017 - 6.5 miles Z2
    8/09/2017 - 7 miles Z2
    8/10/2017 - 7 miles Z2
    8/11/2017 - REST DAY BAH
    8/12/2017 - 15 miles (includes 15km "race" )
    8/13/2017 - Rest Day
    8/14/2017 - 7 miles Z2/Z3
    8/15/2017 - 9 miles Z2/Z3

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Nothing fancy - just a hot humid run.