WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Well my friends, there was a chocolate fountain at tea time. It was what my mother would call a "bun fight"!!!!!!! Marshmallows and fruit to dip. I restrained myself and had one large strawberry and a piece of pineapple. The chocolate was too sweet, so I wasn't tempted to lick up the drippings. Nice of them to lay it on though. :D

Carol - Coming on a Saga cruise can only renew your determination to get fit. I liked Becca's quote today about not knowing people's story and I can see lots of disabilities, including MS and Parkinsons. Quite a few women have hugely swollen feet and ankles. Most people have mobility problems, some severe. 90% are overweight, even if mildly. Being on this forum I have a lot of insight into how hard it is for people to take control of their own health, but every day I am so grateful that somehow I found the will and strategy to lose that 58 lbs that was making me ill. I hope to keep at it as long as I possibly can. Never, never, never give up my friends!!!

I want to give a shout out for the guy, Resti, who organises the tour buses. He deals with a whole bunch of old people who are often confused, don't know what tour they are on and sometimes turn up on the wrong day. :o:# He handles it all, giving out numbered stickers morning after morning, with grace and humour. He is wildly camp and makes the whole experience enjoyable. I really appreciate professionalism and he has it in spades.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Good morning!

Been up early taking DH's car to the shop, grocery shopping and getting car inspected for my tag renewal. Hate to put the $500+ into hubby's car but it will be mine if we spit so I guess it will be worth it either way.

Got the saddest news last night. My DDIL works as a volunteer on a community organization in her neighborhood. She and my son and others run the farmers' market there every Friday and she is the treasurer on the board. The man who was the president of the organization apparently committed suicide last night.They were all such good friends and I know that my grandson must be heartbroken. Please keep them and the community in your thoughts and prayers.

TNToni
  • ILove2Craft
    ILove2Craft Posts: 8 Member
    <3
    Marti
    Eastern Oregon
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    pcy13n36azjr.jpg

My view almost every night last week. Bonaire.

Wondered how things were going... Good to see you, Marcelyn!
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    My August Goals:
    ~ Stay under 1500 calories daily - not including exercise ---
    8/1 = 1,289 8/2 = 1,151 8/3 = 1,295 8/4 = 1,780 8/5 = 1,390
    8/6 = 1,323 8/7 = 1,454 8/8 = 1,275 8/9 = 1,114 8/10 = 548
    8/11 = 1,233 8/12 = 1,500 8/13 = 1,811 8/14 = 1,221 8/15 = 1,565
    ~ Walk 5k steps daily ---
    8/1 = no app 8/2 = no app 8/3 = 3,980 8/4 = 4,675 8/5 = 7,306
    8/6 = 3,374 8/7 = 3,132 8/8 = 2,852 8/9 = 4,551 8/10 = 5,041
    8/11 = 4,211 8/12 = 7,250 8/13 = 5,011 8/14 = 3,218 8/15 = 5,364
    ~ Plexus regimen ---
    8/1 = yes 8/2 = yes 8/3 = yes 8/4 = yes 8/5 = yes
    8/6 = no 8/7 = yes 8/8 = yes 8/9 = yes 8/10 = yes
    8/11 = no 8/12 = no 8/13 = no 8/14 = yes 8/15 = yes
    ~ WATER equal or exceeding 64 ounces ---
    8/1 = 80 oz 8/2 = 72 oz 8/3 = 64 oz 8/4 = 70 oz 8/5 = ??
    8/6 = ?? 8/7 = 66 oz 8/8 = 70 oz 8/9 = 56 oz 8/10 = 142 oz
    8/11 = 56 oz 8/12 = 64 oz 8/13 = 60 oz 8/14 = 48 oz 8/15 = 56 oz

Much love and respect from Vegas,
    Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn
    "You've been blessed with another day, go find out why" --- Dad
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Hi Mary- so good to "see" you. Sending prayers for your hubby and his job transfer. Hope everything is good at your checkup.
    Sue-hi, now we have three Sues. I am in TX, Sue in WA and you. Welcome. Come back often and chat.
    Going for a haircut in a few. Have to eat before I go.
    SueBDew inTX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I'm always happy when you are having a wonderful time and share the adventures. You go to places I'm not likely to see in person and it is wonderful to know about them. I love the photo of you and DH with the Captain of the ship. :heart:

Becca: I suspect the early weeks of navy life will be the most difficult for your son. He's just out of high school. My son didn't join the army until his later twenties. He met some men in his martial arts studio that he really admired. They were former Army Rangers and he was so impressed with their personal characters that he wanted to join. When he joined there were Special Forces spots open, but not a Ranger spot. He's made it his career. We are proud of the man he's become. :heart:

Vicki: (((HUGS))) I am so sorry about the loss of your son. Losing a child is the most difficult event in life. :broken_heart::heart:

machka: Wishing all of your fellow Aussies who have been sick a speedy return to health. :flowerforyou:

Lenora: I am continuously impressed with the advice you are offering to Allie on the divorce proceedings. You have very good insights. :smiley:

Mary: I am so glad to hear from you!!!!! I hope your recheck goes very well. :heart: DD lives with her DMIL, not with us. She has made life choices that are causing her a lot of trouble but she is dealing with the situation as best she can. We are not in a position to rescue her and that would not be good for her or for us, even if we could. All we can do is love her. I hope your DH's job change turns out to be positive for you both. :star:

Sue: Welcome to a great group. :smile:

Mortality is on my mind, and it is there because of the eclipse. I just read that this will be the last total eclipse in history because the moon is moving farther away from the earth. There will be additional eclipses, but the moon won't fully cover the sun ever again because it won't be close enough. It made me think all sorts of things about tides, oceans, and life on earth. I've always expected personal mortality but the implications here are overwhelming in the far distant future.

In the present, I am thankful for many blessings. Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    ~ Lanette - that made me GIGGLE! I could soooo see a frying pan headed his direction with a few well placed round kicks to his knees too!
    ~ Barbie - that's the plan - I'm probably going to drive up to get Nana's rocking chair and help out with Scotty's estate when I can be more useful - meaning I'm taking my bereavement time Labor Day week...with or without co-pilot...
    ~ Karen - yes, he was taking up a lot of time and energy, and it kept increasing in intensity. I was very shocked to read my release papers from the hospital, noting he'd listed himself as my FIANCE next to his name and number for transportation. Made me truly wonder what else he told the staff while I was asleep!
    ~ Lenora - I could make the quilt if I wanted to, but I want to preserve his scent for as long as I possibly can. When I want to feel him close to me, I pull out the bag and throw one of his T-shirts on. I was horribly sick with pneumonia last year and one of the only comforts in my haze was when my son grabbed one of Daddy's T-shirts and wrapped it around a pillow to lay next to me. I couldn't begin to tell you how it comforted me. I have a feeling once I get up there and start going through his things again I'll be lost in memories and laughter. It's time for my reluctance to bring things to me and deal with the finality of that emotion. I talked with my kids last night at length on this and they've helped me put things into perspective about my reluctance. It's fear, primarily of thinking if I left many of his things near him and in the house, his spirit will always be there to greet me. However, I want to acknowledge that releasing him from his home in my mind also releases me from the reluctance to enter and stay. I can then begin to heal and surrender my pain of being there, and maybe even sit in his chair. His recliner is like a shrine, and no one but myself or my son are allowed to sit in it besides my step Mom - and she prefers not to - stating it's too weird. The last time I was there I helped her replace the flooring, and moving his recliner was required. We decided to put it elsewhere in the house, and it just didn't feel right after a few days. We moved it back to it's original location and it hasn't moved since then. As you can see or imagine, it's very difficult for us all. My Daddy was a powerful man and is still very connected to all of us across the country.

Much love and respect from Vegas,
    Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn
    "You've been blessed with another day, go find out why" --- Dad
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Hello ladies,
    Love love hearing about your trip Heather. It reminds me of the cruise I took in the 80's with my girlfriend. I figured I needed to travel because once I married I wouldn't be going anywhere, cue in the saucy sailor!!!

There are many places I haven't visited, but a lot I have. From trips to Korea, Thailand, Bangkok, Japan, I have learned to appreciate my Oregon all the more! It takes knowing what you lost, to appreciate what you have. When I was in Japan for those 7 years, I lost my sense of personal space. I appreciated how the Japanese society made do, with however little space they could call their own, and find beauty in it. They have a special word for the organizational control of their lives. From that, I have learned that there is perfection in things imperfect. I met some great friends there, and I felt honored when they invited me to their homes. They do not take friendship lightly. Always honoring the relationship with gifts and little presents. Thankfully, we all kept the gifts small, easy to reciprocate with. Nothing too expensive, mostly baked goods. But regardless, I was accepted into their coveted circle of ladies. A truck came by the apartment complex I faced. It was like a farmers market on a truck. They printed a newspaper of items you could buy. A bunch of us neighbors would get together and share some of the large items like a case of fresh scallops. Each putting in money for it. It was great fun for me to be included in this, because my American neighbor was told she couldn't partake! She was kind of opinionated, outspoken, and as a sort of ambassador, ( which I think all military people are in their host countries), she didn't acclimate well in Japan. I remember buying fresh soy beans still on the stalk. Just boiling them in lightly salted water, and it was edamame so yummy!

Well reminiscing here!!! Still haven't gotten letter #2 from youngest and though I am trying to be patient...aaack!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Katla, your son sounds like quite an ambitious man! His process into the military life sounds smoother, than my sons. We told him what to expect, his brothers called him and they chatted about what to expect, but until you live it, you really aren't prepared. It saddened me to hear of his experience processing through. When he had his urine analysis, he got sick so that's why in the box sent back to us, there was no pants or shirt. How sad is that, that he would get so upset to be sick about it? Were they "just pee in the cup goddammit" and being mean? He's my little Owain, and it just breaks my heart to think about it.

I am hoping that the reason we haven't recd letter #2 is because he's had a 180' change of heart and he is just happily too busy. Hey! A Mom can dream right!
    Becca
    Being positive in
    Oregon
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Happy Wednesday. Went to sleep with rain, woke up with rain. Sun is to come out later. I am so looking forward to fall. I am glad to be back and working on getting back on track. Thanks for the welcome back. You all are the best.

Heather--Thank you so much for sharing all these pictures of your trip. I know I will never get to those places, but feel I can enjoy them with you.

Mary--Prayers said for DH and the job.

Toni--prayers said for DDIL and grandson. So sadd when someone feels that is the only answer.

Well ladies all out of time for today. Thanks for everything, Vicki Grand Island,NE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Becca: I hope Owain is settling in and getting used to things. You may need to settle in, too. :heart: A mom can dream and that never goes away. The love doesn't go away either, but the empty nest is a challenge every day. I was still working when my kids started their lives away from home & was grateful for my work routine. It helped me adjust. (((HUGS)))