Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breastfeeding older kids (over 12mths old)

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I regularly read about women breastfeeding their older kids, have things changed since mine were babies?

My youngest is 22, and back then night feeds stopped at 8 weeks old which equaled no more waking up at night within a few days, and breast feeding/formula was no longer needed from 12mths old because at that age they ate the same things we did.

Are the recommendations different nowadays?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I breast fed my boys until about 18-24 months old.

I stopped my older two when pregnant with the next child because it hurt and I was too tired. With my last child I was happy to be able to bf until he self weaned and then he ended up being the kids who was least interested. LOL

I think all of my kids had a night feeding until at least 4 months old. I think it was pretty much sleeping through the night by 6 months old. We shared a bed with the kids, or had the crib up against the bed, so night feedings were pretty easy and did not require much effort past a quick diaper change.

My kids never actually had a bottle. They went straight to sippy cups.

My oldest is 14 and the youngest is 10
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    There are a million recommendations about BFing these days, and everybody is trying to make "their way" (whatever way that is) out to be superior.

Pretty much this, (don't miss those days at all lol).

Op-I nursed up until around a year with all three, (I also supplemented with formula since I didn't produce enough). I night nursed up to around then as well, but my girls were sleeping 4-6 hours a night by 4 months, (my son didn't sleep through the night till he was 2 ugh! Actually, just found out this week his poor sleeping habits are most likely tied to him having ADHD-in the process of evaluating him now/he's 9yrs old).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    From what I remember, I believe there are recommendations to go at least 6 months if you can, and up to two years or more. I nursed my daughter until she was 22 months but had to stop since I was pregnant and I was so sick and tired. My son is 18 months and we are still nursing 3-4x per day. Sometimes once at night. I remember weaning was so difficult though, I would rather wake up at night then go through that again!

But compared to those in my circle of friends and family with children, it seems pretty rare to go beyond a year.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Australian guidelines "encourage, support and promote" exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months, then continued breastfeeding whilst introducing solid food up to 12 months, or as long as the mother/child desire.

I have a few friends who have kept breastfeeding to some degree for 2-5 years. I have others who weren't able to for very long, but did the best they could, and others who didnt even start. Most I know try to go at least a year.
  • rarbery
    rarbery Posts: 1 Member
    I breastfed both of mine past 12 months. My oldest until 17 months and my youngest until 24 months. Neither child slept through the night before the age of 1. I can count on two hands how many times my 4 year old has slept through the night. She still wakes up at least once a night.
    What works for some, does not work for all. My youngest has never been a good sleeper. And I choose to follow the attachment parenting side of things vs. putting the child down and cry it out. It's what works for my family. Many medical professionals don't recommend a baby crying it out until 6 months anyway. However, I know plenty of friends who stopped breastfeeding early and did cry it out. It worked for their family.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    edited August 2017
    I breastfed all 4 of my kids. The first 3 all weened themselves at 5 months but I was supplementing with formula. My youngest went 14 months and had zero bottles of formula ever. I say, human breast milk is the most nutrition for a human baby. But you have to do what works for your family and your preferred lifestyle. If your lifestyle choice is to breastfeed longer, go for it, it's healthy. Acknowledging that breast milk is healthier for a human does not by any means belittle a mother who does not breastfeed.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Everyone has their own system. I breastfed both of mine for two years each. I was also giving them slushy and tea and coffee etc from a straw at 2 days old and feeding them soft foods puréed foods at 2 months. By 6 months they were eating KFC puréed. They weren't allowed sugary foods, chips, snacks, sodas.. etc.. until 3. From 3-5 their "treat" was one cookie or half a chocolate bar and watered down juice or soda. There was never desert as a reward after dinner. You are or you went to bed hungry. Not my problem if they wanted to suffer. I didn't have an issue getting them to like their veggies or drink water. It's all they knew. It cut down the crying over wanting junk instead and having to train them later. As teens they have more freedom but they still prefer a stir fry over hot dogs or pizza. (They have these things but get sick of them rather quickly.) This was my preference for my kids.. It's all over the place.. healthy on some parts.. crazy and probably would horrify a lot of moms on the other (Slushy and coffee at a few days old..)
This discussion has been closed.