Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breastfeeding older kids (over 12mths old)

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My sister breast fed her sons until they were 5 years old. It was very awkward when they asked her for "nummies" while I was there.

for you, not them, presumably?

Yes, for me because watching my sister breastfeeding a 5 year old is not something I wanted to do.

So don't watch?

In my own house? Why should I compromise. I had no problem with her breastfeeding an infant but a 5 year old is a different story. This isn't an anti breastfeeding issue.

then what is it?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My sister breast fed her sons until they were 5 years old. It was very awkward when they asked her for "nummies" while I was there.

Yes, for me because watching my sister breastfeeding a 5 year old is not something I wanted to do.

So don't watch?

In my own house? Why should I compromise. I had no problem with her breastfeeding an infant but a 5 year old is a different story. This isn't an anti breastfeeding issue.

then what is it?

She shouldn't be breastfeeding a 5 year old. We aren't an impoverished 3rd world country where it might be a necessity. It is not psychologically healthy.

And I don't want to see it. I have no problem with women breastfeeding infants in public but there comes an age where it is no longer necessary or appropriate.

So don't look.
    Or she could just stop doing it when no longer necessary.

Or you can ask her to leave.... Or you know tell her how you really feel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic/201205/it-s-not-the-breastfeeding-s-wrong-it-s-the-indulgence?amp

So that means you told her this? Or what exactly are you trying to prove?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So don't watch?

then what is it?

She shouldn't be breastfeeding a 5 year old. We aren't an impoverished 3rd world country where it might be a necessity. It is not psychologically healthy.

And I don't want to see it. I have no problem with women breastfeeding infants in public but there comes an age where it is no longer necessary or appropriate.

So don't look.
    Or she could just stop doing it when no longer necessary.

so tell her you dont want her breastfeeding in your house if you feel so strongly... i'm sure that will go down just fine....
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    There's no benefit to taking a kid to a fast food restaurant instead of a healthy home cooked meal or letting them sit in front of a TV all day but most people don't voice an opinion on it or find it awkward .
    ?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    There's no benefit to taking a kid to a fast food restaurant instead of a healthy home cooked meal or letting them sit in front of a TV all day but most people don't voice an opinion on it or find it awkward .

I think many people would have a strong opinion on this, and plenty would voice it I'd say..

And FTR this thread is NOT bashing breastfeeding or whatever, I was genuinely curious why things have changed so much since mine were bubs.
This discussion has been closed.