Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I got to work this morning and found out a woman I work pretty closely with, one of the nicest women I have ever met, was tragically killed last night, along with her daughter. They were out walking together and hit by a drunk driver. Her daughter was 18 years old and she just told me yesterday that she was taking next week off so her and her husband could move their daughter into her new college dorm. I'm in shock. I am incredibly sad. I was emailing her last night about work stuff and unbeknownst to me, she was already gone. It is just heartbreaking. What a senseless tragedy.

This horrible news really put things into perspective for me today. So, here goes...

Just For Friday:
    * Water
    * Log every bite
    * Leave work on time today and go home to my family
    * Smile and greet everyone I see today with a smile.
    * Hug my family and tell them I love them every chance I get.
    * Try not to eat candy or ice cream, but if I do...oh well. I'm not going to beat myself up.
    * Be grateful for the day, and thank God for always making sure we have what we need. Maybe not what we want, but always what we need.
    * Hug my dog who no longer can hear, walks so much slower and with a limp, and who just wants to make us happy. Extra treats tonight. Poor boy is getting old on us.
    * Don't sweat the small stuff, especially at work, because at the end of the day....it's all small stuff.

Thank you all for being here every day offering encouragement. Even though we have not met, I consider you my friends and you all matter so much to me. This is such a fantastic group!

Happy Friday!
    Tracie

I'm so, so very sorry.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,514 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    I just love this poem, and thought it was a good time to post it. I hope you guys don't mind - its not weight-loss related, but in a way, it is also.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal.

Take care of the rocks first – the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”

Joan, thank you so much for sharing. It's a poem I've seen before, and always love when it gets passed around again. So, so true! Carmela
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    8/18 Friday JFT:

I'm taking new approach to the day.....instead of "surviving" the day, I'm going to "tackle" the day!

✔Enjoy a peaceful morning
    ✔Household manager items (has it's own list)
    ✔Make school supply list (college & High school, elementary kiddos already have theirs)
    ✔Run by bank
    ✔Run by mailbox
    ✔A little shopping
    ✔Run by Costco
    ✔After-school care facility & complete enrollment
    ❌Run on elliptical
    ❌BB-Workout
    ✔☆☆Stick w/ 6-Day Slim-Down Diet (Day 5)☆☆
    ✔Laundry
    ✔Dinner by 7 pm
    ✔Bedtime by 10 pm

I didn't exercise today but I stuck with the diet :#
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to work during the weekend, while of course also doing the laundry and some housework and trying to keep my food healthy. So I was unmotivated and unhappy. But then my boyfriend called and we had one of the nicest, most relaxed phone calls since weeks and I went here and read all the stuff that happened to all of you.

I am so sorry that so many of you are stressed and sad. I would love to prepare some healthy tasty snacks and invite you all for a "sit on the couch and chat it all out" afternoon, but unfortunately, you are so far away. I hope you will have time to relax and recover during the weekend. Please feel hugged by this random stranger on the internet!

So now for my plans for today:

1) Go grocery shopping, shop mostly healthy stuff but also one treat :)Actually already did that.
    2) Do three runs of laundry
    3) Cook Pasta with Zucchini and Scampi
    4) Do a short workout. Any that I feel like doing. Just 10 minutes.
    5) Check the work that is running on the server every once in a while (It crashed twice yesterday... so far it is running since yesterday afternoon, fingers crossed. If it runs until tomorrow afternoon there is a chance is will actually finish.)
    6) Write something for my thesis.
    7) Try NOT to touch the treat. It's meant to be an emergency treat in case I get bad news on Monday (I applied for a fellowship. I am not 100% sure, but based on their timelines for other years Monday would be the day I get to know if I am invited for interviews or I am already out.)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Week-end! Saturday plans are: STAY IN CALORIE GUIDELINES-it is about 70 calories for one deviled egg. Exercise 30 minutes no matter what excuse I can think up. Get weed-eater going. Remove dog hair from rolling chair wheels. Grocery shop to use coupon.
    SKYMNINGEN good luck on the fellowship.
  • MLHC1
    Options
    @OConnell5483 I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You are very strong to see the positive through this. I hope you have a blessed weekend o:)

@skymningen Congratulations on your success thus far!! The fellowship that was meant for you WILL happen ;) Good luck and we'll be praying for you.

8/19 Saturday JFT:

Day 6 of my 6-Day Slim-Down Diet :D
    Finish strong!
    Take son to football ~ 9 am
    Football scrimmage game ~ 11:30 am
    (I truly believe coaches "throw" their "weight" around and force parents to conform to their schedule in life, this is frustrating :# . The little ~ means the coaches aren't really sure about the timeline.)<---American Football (maybe that's the problem, LOL)
    Run by bank
    Eye appt
    JCpenney Sale :D
    Run on elliptical
    BB-Workout
    Dinner by 7pm
    Bedtime by 10 pm
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

Yesterday:
    1. Weigh and log all food done
    2. Meditate downloaded a few apps and tried one before bed but I was too sleepy
    3. Sleep 8 hours done
    4. Accept help from others. I have two events this weekend (I'm an artist and have been selling at festivals) and need to be smart, especially with the torn ligaments ongoing...

Today:
    1. Weigh and log all food
    2. Try to sit as much as I can at Event #1
    3. Pack my snacks and plenty of water
    4. Be present, be happy and be proud during my events. I'm so grateful for this second career, and I want it to show.
    5. Meditate did this morning already
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    OConnell5483
    This is heartbreaking and I'm so sorry for your loss. So senseless that something so tragic could happen to innocent people. Love & prayers.
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    JFT Friday: Continue to work on controlling my urges to binge.✅
    -Clean my darned oven- yuck. Been avoiding this for weeks.✅

JFT Saturday: Workout in morning before we leave for the day.
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Have to remember to hit "post reply" & not lose everything I just typed!

Meditate/rest 20 mins today this afternoon. Use Calm App. Our dog has discovered how to meditate with me LOL.
    Drink 9 cups of water.
    Bath large dog who hates baths & struggles entire time. Then clean bathroom.
    Track everything.
    Walk dog in PM.
    Weight lifting today.
    Need to use portion control tonight. May be having company.
    10 pm bedtime.
    Pack for Canada.
    Make list of foods that my parents won't have in house so I can shop the day after we arrive.
    Walk/cycle everyday while in Canada.
    Show restraint while baking cookies & banana bread for Boy Scout event.

If anyone is really struggling some resources that have helped to get me on track are Half Size Me podcast or website & Cookie Rosenblum's website/recordings. Wishing you all a great Saturday.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    Ummm can someone please tell me what a fellowship is?
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In = When I'm active I eat back calories / sometimes too much. My weaknesses: my sweet tooth, especially chocolate, and portion control. I weigh myself daily and log weekly / posting my Saturday a.m. weigh-in here. [My digital scale only shows half pound increments.]

Height 5'4"
    GW #1: 150
    GW #2: 145
    Ultimate Goal Range: 140 - 145 [anything less is probably unsustainable]
    August Goal: lose 4# and reach 170

11/5/15 = 195.0 joined MFP with no real plan except It's. Not. A. Diet.
    5/31/17 = 180.5 two end of month celebrations
    6/3 = 177.5
    6/10 = 179.5 pre-10K spaghetti supper night before
    6/17 = 179.5 numerous meals away from home, several occasions w/ alcohol, happy no gain
    6/24 = 178.0 fluctuated during week, but ended ok
    7/1 = 176.0 Yay!!! Achieved June goal to stay <180
    7/8 = 177.5
    7/15 = 176.5
    7/22 = 175.0
    7/29 = 174.0 saw at least one daily w-i below 174
    8/5 = 174.5 dined out for Girls Day Out & ate Dad's cooking & baking
    8/12 = 173.5 scale flirted with even lower numbers on daily weigh-ins
    8/19 = 173.5 had couple of high calorie days

Reminder: Weight loss is not linear. At least not for me. :smile:

• cschmitz110515
    Options
    Recap F 8/18 - keeping things very simple for today
    1) Walked dog 3.09 miles before work & happy dog / no wildlife sightings to report :smiley:
    2) Net calories green / need to start meal planning again, always a struggle for me at end of summer = another fail :s late leaving office (did personal stuff on computer) then errands and too late to make planned meal so bought a sub sandwich and wolfed it down :#
    3) Use Calm app in afternoon, pause & pray = did this :)

JFT Sat. 8/19 = today's challenge is evening boat cruise with alcohol and food
    1) Farmers market = done :)
    2) Oil change & tires rotated = posting my update in waiting area :)
    3) Gas in car for road trip
    4) Walk dog long route
    5) Make wise choices at evening cruise and limit adult beverages

Have safe and happy day all!
  • MLHC1
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Ummm can someone please tell me what a fellowship is?

"fellowship. A grant given by a university or foundation to a scholar for research or study is a fellowship. "

"Fellowship programs can be designed to support a range of activities including:
    graduate study in a specific field
    research to advance work on a particular issue
    developing a new community-based organization or initiative training and reflection to support the fellow's growth opportunities to further explore a particular field of work. Fellowships have traditionally been awarded to graduate and post-graduate students, but there are an increasing number of fellowships available to recent college graduates in public policy, the arts, education, and other nonprofit fields."

• asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172
    Recently I'm finding myself feeling pretty weak, my hands, arms and legs just ache.
    Climbing the stairs makes my legs ache and I feel slightly out of breath for about a minute.
    Massaging my partner I can't even do properly because my hands ache so much! (Who ever heard of achey hands?!)
    Is this because I've stopped exercising do you reckon or more pregnancy? Or both?
    Could it be a thyroid hormonal imbalance? I know that pregnancy can stress your hormonal balance.

Hmmm...I would talk to your md about the aches if they continue. Agree
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Just For Friday:
    * Water :/
    * Log every bite :/
    * Leave work on time today and go home to my family <3:)
    * Smile and greet everyone I see today with a smile. :)
    * Hug my family and tell them I love them every chance I get. :)
    * Try not to eat candy or ice cream, but if I do...oh well. I'm not going to beat myself up. ;) Ate a huge bowl and enjoyed every single bite. So did my husband.
    * Be grateful for the day, and thank God for always making sure we have what we need. Maybe not what we want, but always what we need. :)
    * Hug my dog who no longer can hear, walks so much slower and with a limp, and who just wants to make us happy. Extra treats tonight. Poor boy is getting old on us. :)
    * Don't sweat the small stuff, especially at work, because at the end of the day....it's all small stuff. :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words, prayers and hugs. It was a long day yesterday. For many of us. I threw my healthy eating right out the window. But I'm back on it today.

Joan: I love that story! Thank you for sharing. It's so true.
    Bex: I had no idea what eggy bread was either, and it really doesn't surprise me if it is a "Bex" thing rather than a British thing! LOL!

Just for Saturday:
    * Water
    * Log every bite
    * Having difficult discussion with DH today about our dog. He is not doing well health-wise. :'(
    * I slept too late to go fishing today, so I'm going to look for something soothing to my soul to do instead. Maybe today I will actually start a new quilt, or move my sewing area upstairs to the newly emptied old office room. Want a baby quilt, Bex? Private message me your address and I will make one for the new little one! It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be made with lots of love.
    * Hug, kiss and love on my family.
    * Meditate with Calm
    * Journal

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    Just For Friday:
    * Try not to eat candy or ice cream, but if I do...oh well. I'm not going to beat myself up. ;) Ate a huge bowl and enjoyed every single bite. So did my husband.
    * Be grateful for the day, and thank God for always making sure we have what we need. Maybe not what we want, but always what we need. :)
    * Hug my dog who no longer can hear, walks so much slower and with a limp, and who just wants to make us happy. Extra treats tonight. Poor boy is getting old on us. :)
    * Don't sweat the small stuff, especially at work, because at the end of the day....it's all small stuff. :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words, prayers and hugs. It was a long day yesterday. For many of us. I threw my healthy eating right out the window. But I'm back on it today.

Bex: I had no idea what eggy bread was either, and it really doesn't surprise me if it is a "Bex" thing rather than a British thing! LOL!

Just for Saturday:
    * Water
    * Log every bite
    * Having difficult discussion with DH today about our dog. He is not doing well health-wise. :'(
    * I slept too late to go fishing today, so I'm going to look for something soothing to my soul to do instead. Maybe today I will actually start a new quilt, or move my sewing area upstairs to the newly emptied old office room. Want a baby quilt, Bex? Private message me your address and I will make one for the new little one! It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be made with lots of love.
    * Meditate with Calm
    * Journal

Omg are you serious?
    I would LOVE one!!
    That's actually just made me cry! I've never met someone so nice!!

I'll pm you!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Omg are you serious?
    I would LOVE one!!
    That's actually just made me cry! I've never met someone so nice!!

I'll pm you!

My DH would tell you different as far as being "so nice"! Hahaha! But yes, I am absolutely serious! I'm not real good but I try and have made some for my grandkids. They call them "Grandma Tracie quilts" because they are not perfect but they are made with lots of love. Let me know what colors you like best or if you want me just to surprise you! This will be fun, because I will be thinking about you while I make it. :)
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Just For Friday:

Just for Saturday:
    * Water
    * Log every bite
    * Meditate with Calm
    * Journal

I loved your entire JFT list :)

I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy. It is so hard to make that decision. Whenever we've been at the end of that road, we've asked: 1) is he in pain? 2) does he refuse to eat? 3) has his tail stopped wagging? Most of our dogs have clearly let us know when it is time to go.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I loved your entire JFT list :)

I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy. It is so hard to make that decision. Whenever we've been at the end of that road, we've asked: 1) is he in pain? 2) does he refuse to eat? 3) has his tail stopped wagging? Most of our dogs have clearly let us know when it is time to go.

Thank you for your insight! I'll share this with my husband. Very good points! <3