Treated differently after weightloss

Options

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    Men definitely are nicer when thin, they flirt, open doors, ect. When I got thinner, women started being a bit rude, (aquaintances), especially if they were overweight. They would make remarks such as "You are getting a little too thin". They completely ignore the fact that I work damn hard to achieve where I'm at today. I felt as though it was out of jealousy.. This is my experience.

Same, actually. But thin to average women became nicer to me overall by a good amount. Whether they were strangers or people I knew. Huh.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Men and women both give me more attention and more compliments when not fat. I mean I was liked well enough when I was too fat, but now they seem to like me more lol. Can't complain about that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    I had this discussion with someone the other day. Yes - absolutely - strangers treat "normal" sized people differently in everyday situations vs. obese people. Meeting you in the eyes, striking up a random conversation in the store aisle (not flirting at all), holding doors open, etc. Quite a few people say that the formerly obese who are now "normal" sized get treated differently because they have more self confidence. I disagree. I used to weigh 245 at my highest, and am now 180 - still overweight but much more average size. I feel fatter now at 180 than I did at 245, and don't feel any more confident. If I feel WORSE at 180 than 245, but strangers treat me better, there is no other explanation. It is all about the weight and nothing else.

I hate to see people feeling like crap. If you haven't got the resources to go for counseling IRL there are free counseling sites such as seven cups. I also find that doing guided meditations at night is very helpful for mental health and feeling good about yourself.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if others are treating me any different after loosing 100 lbs, however I have more confidence in myself.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    At almost 40lbs lost I got my first "Don't get too thin" comment recently. I was actually kind of stunned. My face is definitely thinner. My cheekbones are defined now and my jowls are disappearing. Still I only have dropped 2" on pants. I still have chubby arms, back, and gut. Why on earth would someone say "Don't get too thin"? *kitten* I am still in the obese bmi range, not that it's a good scale. My body fat is also still in the 30's range.

He has mentioned that he wanted to lose weight few weeks back. I told him to eat less and if he wanted he could exercise. Didn't have to exercise but helped me and diet is really the main thing. He did try for a week then stopped. I hope he gets motivated. Failing that to keep his negativity to himself.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about it because I'm fat still and people have a tendency to always treat me with hatred but I have a friend who lost about 60 lbs and since her weight loss I hate who she has become. She cheats on her husband and looks for male attention a lot and has turned into kind of a party animal. I can't even be friends with her anymore because it's painfully awkward being around her when she's like that.

I had a friend who did that when I was in my late 30s. We both had lost a lot of weight and she went crazy. Still is and it's been ten years ago.

I have known many people like this, male and female. It is strange and off-putting to me.

I think of it this way...

They didn't change. This is the person they were before, but with the confidence to act and the opportunities to do what they wanted.

Exactly!
  • Jenn3452
    Jenn3452 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I have had a bit of a different response...

I've lost one friend completely when I lost enough weight that- I think- her own insecurities came out and I wasn't able to talk about my weight loss or achievements or exercise so we faded away because of having to hide who I was... I get ignored by family members who are obese themselves, but used to call me lazy, and now with my 90 pounds weight loss they avoid me like the plague and say I'm just losing weight for attention... that just IRKS me!! I've also had a best friend who has been with me every step of the way, and while she's not losing weight, she's still a typical supportive fun friend, and our relationship has remained strong! Some people who you don't know very well REALLY show other sides when you lose weight! It's sad to be judged when making positive changes in your life, or feeling you can't share things because you get scoffed at

This is exactly what I'm going through I literally have 2 friends now because of weight loss. It makes me very sad because I am a very caring person and I would never make someone feel bad about themselves. I guess when you want to make yourself better you find out who your true friends are.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    At almost 40lbs lost I got my first "Don't get too thin" comment recently. I was actually kind of stunned. My face is definitely thinner. My cheekbones are defined now and my jowls are disappearing. Still I only have dropped 2" on pants. I still have chubby arms, back, and gut. Why on earth would someone say "Don't get too thin"? *kitten* I am still in the obese bmi range, not that it's a good scale. My body fat is also still in the 30's range.

He has mentioned that he wanted to lose weight few weeks back. I told him to eat less and if he wanted he could exercise. Didn't have to exercise but helped me and diet is really the main thing. He did try for a week then stopped. I hope he gets motivated. Failing that to keep his negativity to himself.

I understand, I received the same don't get too thin comment. I still have a gut, arm fat that giggles, I'm in the overweight category, I'm short 5'2 and I wear size 10 pants. I think because of my pear shape, I look smaller up top but I have to remind them I am bottom heavy. My co-worker was surprised when I told her I'm a size 10 stretchy pants only. I cant fit into regular size 10. She thought I was a size 8.
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I still have a LONG way to go (started out a size 32W last year; currently a 20/22W) but since losing a considerable amount of weight (so far) strangers seem kinder and more attentive. I've had doors held open for me, helped on some machines at the gym, smiled at/talked to by nicer-looking, younger guys, offered to go ahead of someone in line...to name a few examples.

I also had natural dark hair and wore bifocals (with fashionable frames), long ditched for a gingery hair color and contact lenses. I don't know if that has anything to do with more attention, but doesn't seem to hurt. ;)
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    So I have read countless women say that they usually attract more attention after weight loss. What about the men? Do you notice more attention or flirting coming your way? Does it also seem like people are generally nicer or no difference?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!