Replies

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wrap, carrots, spicy pickles and cherries
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Lookie lookie! I did a thing I haven't done in ages!
    evyyx1gw9gll.jpg
    The feeling when I placed the salmon (with a burnt soy and mirin glaze) in with everything and it fit the space exactly was awesome. It was like food Tetris.

Love it.
  • nancypattison
    nancypattison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started to prep lunches but I'm not consistent. I subscribe to a youtube channel, mind over munch, and she has a whole e-book devoted to bento box meals but she shows several of them on her channel as well. I also look on Pinterest for other ideas for bento box lunches.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I bento box my lunch, too. Perks my day up come lunchtime.
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab290/Moniyq/20170821_133136_1.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab290/Moniyq/20170821_133115.jpg

meatless Monday bento!! yay!! pb and banana sandwich with extra banana a babybel cheese cucumber and a peach also a Mandarin Orange water some kombucha and the fruit cup is for a snack
  • The_Red_Widow
    The_Red_Widow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    looks like the 21 diet thing
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    moniyq1994 wrote: »
    http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab290/Moniyq/20170821_133136_1.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab290/Moniyq/20170821_133115.jpg

meatless Monday bento!! yay!! pb and banana sandwich with extra banana a babybel cheese cucumber and a peach also a Mandarin Orange water some kombucha and the fruit cup is for a snack

Haha, love the cheese cutouts on the sandwich. I can't wait for stonefruit to be back in season in Aus. I miss my nectarines :(
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like bento snacks, but I use a 5 cup Tupperware bowl full of food to the brim for lunch. Need more food than I can pack in those tiny containers.
  • MunicipalBeanCounter
    MunicipalBeanCounter Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey, y'all! Long time (like, two? years?) lurker, first time poster! Here's a shot of my first bento! Please be lenient with your critiques! I've brought leftover beef teriyaki, some leftover steamed rice (with ONE measly little shrimp) and a little bit of spicy potato for lunch. And my afternoon snack is two pickled beets and some cottage cheese!

It's not so visibly pleasing, but I'm sure with a little bit of practice, I'll be up to snuff and hopefully giving y'all at least a little bit of the joy y'all have given me! ujxjdu65qc0l.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I like bento snacks, but I use a 5 cup Tupperware bowl full of food to the brim for lunch. Need more food than I can pack in those tiny containers.

Bento boxes are for kids, cute little things, to make kids want to eat good healthy lunches.
    Grown up version of a bento box is a huge topperware container filled to the brim with volume and low calories to keep us volume eaters satisfied for a while :)

Mmm.... not quite. You can get bento boxes that are 2L in capacity if you want. So same thing, just in something prettier than tupperware lol.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Hey, y'all! Long time (like, two? years?) lurker, first time poster! Here's a shot of my first bento! Please be lenient with your critiques! I've brought leftover beef teriyaki, some leftover steamed rice (with ONE measly little shrimp) and a little bit of spicy potato for lunch. And my afternoon snack is two pickled beets and some cottage cheese!

It's not so visibly pleasing, but I'm sure with a little bit of practice, I'll be up to snuff and hopefully giving y'all at least a little bit of the joy y'all have given me! ujxjdu65qc0l.jpg

That looks tasty. For colour, all you'd need to do is pop some lightly blanched broccoli and a couple of cherry tomatoes there.

Whilst the hubster and I go on a super budget and put all of our spare pennies into our house build, I'm pretty much a leftovers queen when it comes to lunches so my bento staple supplies are lagging. Most of my boxes aren't microwave safe either, so I can't exactly heat up my slowcooker pork and the like in them.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So I just bought my first bento box set today! I couldn't resist when I saw it at the mall. As the Christmas season nears, work is going to be getting hectic and I'll be working more so bringing lunch or dinner will be a good idea. Still not exactly sure what I'll put in it on Monday, but I'm thinking of a sandwich and fruits and veggies.
    ozbls1rzt6a5.jpg
    nbziwb9kgxdt.jpg
    lik5ft2ydnpe.jpg

• MunicipalBeanCounter
    Options
    Bento from this afternoon! I’ve been really having trouble staying on track, but I managed to scrape together a box for lunch today! It’s leftover spicy squid stir-fry and some strawberries! It’s not pretty, but it was five minutes and YUMMY!
  • MunicipalBeanCounter
    MunicipalBeanCounter Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Another bento! Again, not exactly pretty, but definitely yummy! I packed half an omelet (with peas, carrots, onions, and a small sprinkling of cheese), rice with peas, and some strawberries and peaches! Not pictured, hummus and low sodium wheat thins for a snack! I’m going to be taking my lunch and dinner to work once classes start back up again (I’m a full time grad student with a full time job. It’s tiring.
  • MunicipalBeanCounter
    Options
    Soooo, this app isn’t letting me edit properly. So here’s a picture of the aforementioned bento! Also, does anyone have any tips for packing two meals? Anything I should keep in mind?
    00l2ujj2df82.jpeg
  • mangrothian
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Soooo, this app isn’t letting me edit properly. So here’s a picture of the aforementioned bento! Also, does anyone have any tips for packing two meals? Anything I should keep in mind?
    Do you mean two meals in separate boxes, or say a meal in each layer of a two tier box? and by two meals, are you talking brekkie and lunch, or lunch and dinner? Either way, if your bento is going to last two meals, a cooler bag is a must if you don't have the opportunity to store it in the fridge is the biggest suggestion I can give, especially for lunch/dinner. That, and the second meal should have the food that will taste better after sitting longer (won't go soggy or cardboard-ish after the longer sitting time).

I got given a Pikachu bento box for christmas. It's way bigger than what I'd normally use, but I have to use it because it's just too damn cute ^_^ It even has a pokeball press in the lid if I want a pokeball image on my sandwiches lol. Just means that I don't fill up the compartments as much as I normally would.
    8hcedayhjh57.jpg
    Left side: crumpet with a container of peanut butter for brekkie (the crumpet is frozen which is why it looks odd), and a snack of bagel crisps with a tub of the most divine goats cheese with truffle dip that I was introduced to last year.

Right side: Home made coffee and maple bacon (once you make your own bacon, you never go back!) diced and pan fried with mixed veg and a spice mix called 'berbere' (I can't remember what's in it besides chili and cumin), along with a couple of boiled eggs.

Happy New Year bentoer's! May the thread be more active this year than it was last year :D
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Do you mean two meals in separate boxes, or say a meal in each layer of a two tier box? and by two meals, are you talking brekkie and lunch, or lunch and dinner? Either way, if your bento is going to last two meals, a cooler bag is a must if you don't have the opportunity to store it in the fridge is the biggest suggestion I can give, especially for lunch/dinner. That, and the second meal should have the food that will taste better after sitting longer (won't go soggy or cardboard-ish after the longer sitting time).

I got given a Pikachu bento box for christmas. It's way bigger than what I'd normally use, but I have to use it because it's just too damn cute ^_^ It even has a pokeball press in the lid if I want a pokeball image on my sandwiches lol. Just means that I don't fill up the compartments as much as I normally would.
    8hcedayhjh57.jpg
    Left side: crumpet with a container of peanut butter for brekkie (the crumpet is frozen which is why it looks odd), and a snack of bagel crisps with a tub of the most divine goats cheese with truffle dip that I was introduced to last year.

Right side: Home made coffee and maple bacon (once you make your own bacon, you never go back!) diced and pan fried with mixed veg and a spice mix called 'berbere' (I can't remember what's in it besides chili and cumin), along with a couple of boiled eggs.

Happy New Year bentoer's! May the thread be more active this year than it was last year :D

Still looks good and im tempted to try the goat cheese with truffle dip! Sounds good! Hmm.. im googling how to pronounce 'barbere' the right way..lmao

Wishing for the thread to come alive again too ! Haha.. Its been a good source of inspiration for bento.

#Now that im staying in Japan, i've been making bento almost daily. Coworker's bento all look so yummy and colorful! It does makes me put more effort in making my own bento look pretty n yummy too..lol

So, please post more bento pics guys! Haha

Happy new year!!!