MFP Poll -How many do their own lawns vs hiring someone?

Replies

• RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Maybe it is just time for me to hire a landscaper.

I'll take care of your landscaping.

• RandJ6280
    edited August 2017
    To me it actually relaxes me, since I work behind a computer all day. There is a single mom that moved in next door, so when I mow my yard, I just keep going and do hers. She appreciates it.... she works full time and has 2 small kiddos.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    True story....my ex hubs does mine.
    That seems like an awkward situation. My Ex had different ideas of how the lawn should be kept up than I do

Nah, not awkward at all.

Do you pay him in avocados or mellons?

He was paid generously with both for 15 years while we were married.
    He gets nothing now but a glass of water.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    I do mine + other work around here - right now it's cleaning the pond & clearing some brush to make room for some bananas - Eastcoast Jim

A cement pond?

do you grow bananas for @lstrat115 and @AngryViking1970 ?

a muddy pond with frogs , turtles & 1 small gator
    I will be ptting bananas in soon - not growing any yet
  • RandJ6280
    True story....my ex hubs does mine.
    That seems like an awkward situation. My Ex had different ideas of how the lawn should be kept up than I do

Nah, not awkward at all.

Do you pay him in avocados or mellons?

He was paid generously with both for 15 years while we were married.
    He gets nothing now but a glass of water.

His lose for sure. We all know melons and avocado's are more nutritious than just water.
  • Just_Mel_
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    To me it actually relaxes me, since I work behind a computer all day. There is a single mom that moved in next door, so when I mow my yard, I just keep going and do hers. She appreciates it.... she works full time and has 2 small kiddos.

My dad is a Vietnam vet who is now on oxygen and uses a cane or scooter to get around. His old neighbor's son would always hit his yard after he cut his mother's. After his mother passed, he would still come over and cut my parent's grass. Super simple yet generous gesture.
    Kudos to you for being kind.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    I mow my own, used to do some landscaping work on the side for money but I grew tired of it. You wouldn't believe how bad some people let their bushes get. Not to mention some of the stuff you'd find in them once you got your hands in there.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    @besaro wrote: »
    i have two geese that do it. they also keep the dandelions out.

Geese eat grass?

its really all the need. i give them cracked corn and special treats like lettuce from time to time.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe how bad some people let their bushes get. Not to mention some of the stuff you'd find in them once you got your hands in there.

tee hee

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    besaro wrote: »
    @besaro wrote: »
    i have two geese that do it. they also keep the dandelions out.

Geese eat grass?

its really all the need. i give them cracked corn and special treats like lettuce from time to time.

Interesting. I would not have thought their diet was so different from chickens, which need a lot of protein. I just learned something. :)
  • Just_Mel_
    I mow my own, used to do some landscaping work on the side for money but I grew tired of it. You wouldn't believe how bad some people let their bushes get. Not to mention some of the stuff you'd find in them once you got your hands in there.

Gotta keep things trimmed and neat at all times.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    As far as yard work- it's best to pull out unwanted things clear down to the root but they always seem to grow back, which gets old.

Edging- I'm too impatient for that. Well, depends on the edging technique.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    our house in the middle of what used to be a hay pasture. On the 1/2 acre or so we mow we roundup around the edges and have a nice JD zero turn for the rest.

I love living in a place with no HOA (while not looking like a meth lab is next door either).
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    I do it. I love working in the yard. Good time to put the stress of the day behind me. I might add that I usually have music playing, I'm sipping on a cocktail and I'm smoking a cigar.

Ok, we need a pic of that.

upu47384kxf2.png

No, a pic of you mowing while sipping on a cocktail and smoking a cigar
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member

Found a French fry in mine once after a party

We know you ate it, too.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member

This one customer was bad about throwing food outside when she was done with it. Found myself face to face with an Arbys roast beef sandwich once.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

Dang, all I ever find in my bushes are dust and cobwebs.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    pssh bushes are so 1977