Keto is the bomb!

Replies

• ibscot740232016
    ibscot740232016 Posts: 12 Member
    I enjoy keto alot. It was an eye opener to how addictive sugar is. You don't really know until you try to stop eating it. It was like quitting smoking.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    It's not "my CICO pal" either, nor is it, "My Skinny Pal" There are many different ways many people use here to achieve their individual goals, yet it seems the only ones who bash anything outside their way of thinking is the CICO gang

I've been told be many ketovangelists on these boards that I'm doing it wrong, that my side effects on keto didn't exist, that I must be lying (note: I have nothing against most keto dieters, just those who insist it's the only or the best way for everyone). I've had clean eaters tell me I'll die young with a cancer-riddled, malnourished body if I keep my current plan. I've been called a troll for telling some breakfast isn't necessary. If you think these things don't happen across all ways of eating on this site, then you either aren't paying attention or are reading selectively.

I guess I'm not paying attention, because I don't see it near to the degree of the attacks the CICO club does to anyone who tries to restrict any type of food. And FWIW, when a newbie asks about Keto, the very first thing I type, every time is, "It's done amazing things for me, but it's not for everyone"

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I have 2 friends who have been on it for several months & love it & the benefits. Personally I don't want to eat that way for always so I don't do it, but glad you like it & it works for you
  • Coconut_Tim
    Coconut_Tim Posts: 63 Member
    I lost my last 40lbs (over a year) while eating a Keto lifestyle. I was pretty hardcore into it. Less than 20g carbs a day. I actually enjoyed the structure and how restrictive it was. It helped me deal with a lot of food cravings I had.

Lately I have been moving away from Keto and have been introducing good carbs back into my diet. I am at maintenance.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's not "my CICO pal" either, nor is it, "My Skinny Pal" There are many different ways many people use here to achieve their individual goals, yet it seems the only ones who bash anything outside their way of thinking is the CICO gang

I've been told be many ketovangelists on these boards that I'm doing it wrong, that my side effects on keto didn't exist, that I must be lying (note: I have nothing against most keto dieters, just those who insist it's the only or the best way for everyone). I've had clean eaters tell me I'll die young with a cancer-riddled, malnourished body if I keep my current plan. I've been called a troll for telling some breakfast isn't necessary. If you think these things don't happen across all ways of eating on this site, then you either aren't paying attention or are reading selectively.

I guess I'm not paying attention, because I don't see it near to the degree of the attacks the CICO club does to anyone who tries to restrict any type of food. And FWIW, when a newbie asks about Keto, the very first thing I type, every time is, "It's done amazing things for me, but it's not for everyone"

And the first thing I usually say is "some people do really well on it and others don't. It didn't work well for me, but the only way to know is to try it and see for yourself." And yet here we are with you claiming I'm part of some imaginary "cico gang" running around bashing people. There are a ton of different ways of eating that work for various people. This idea that those of us who've found calorie counting to work have created some us vs them gang on this side is tiresome.
  • ishmael81
    ishmael81 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2017

First let me say - I have a handful of supportive folks on my friends list who tell me good job when I succeed and encourage me when I do a not-so-good job.

That being said - I see what you're saying. I'm using Keto (well, trying... some days are hard recently) and I resist posting places because I see lots of the kind of thing you're referring to. I guess that makes me a troll since I read and don't comment but I'm okay with that.

Keto works for some - I've lost 32 pounds in 9 weeks - but my wife can't do it.

Also - good job Joe on your success.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    A lot of people have the wrong idea about keto. First the keto diet is not about being in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Yes, it is. That's how it works. Some people can be in a deficit without counting on keto (at least while they have weight to lose or in some cases when they have a lot of weight to lose), but that's also the same as many other ways of eating.
    And the keto diet is not a short term diet that is not maintainable. A person can go keto for as long as they want.

Depends on the person. What diets (as in foods you eat regularly) are sustainable or not is highly individual. I think keto most of the time is sustainable for me if I wanted to do it, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone (or better for me than other sustainable ways of eating).
    Keto is about reprogramming your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs.

We all burn body fat if we have a calorie deficit. Keto only results in more fat being burned because more fat is eaten. There's no weight loss advantage unless it helps with hunger or you enjoy it more.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2017
    A lot of people need to remember to be nice to others that are having a positive moment about something that works for them! Why do we need to say remarks like "it didn't work for me" or "no I'm good". Let's cheer each other on and show support instead of shuning someone's happiness. Things work differently for people, what works for one may not work for the next person but that doesn't mean it's bad or doesn't work period.
    Congrats @bazookajoe123 on your success!! Feel free to add me for support :)

I would ask, instead, why it's necessary to preach your own preferred way of eating, as OP is doing, as if it is somehow superior to what others are doing or works better. To the extent that is based on a misunderstanding (that you lose on keto without a calorie deficit or don't burn fat on other ways of eating), it is very important to correct it to prevent a spread of misinformation.

Agree that keto works fine, I enjoyed it when I did it for a bit (but not more than some other ways of eating).

I generally dislike evangelism about diets.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Keto works for the same reason any diet does, because it produces a caloric deficit. Supposed "magic" properties of keto is hardly uncommon around here, but the fact remains they could eat the exact same calories of any other food type and achieve nearly identical results. Since just about any calorie restricted diet that a person is dedicated to will produce results, results are not the real hook for fad diets. There are also social, identity, and emotional variables at play that makes people latch onto them.

If Keto is a mechanism to get people to their goals? Fantastic, more power to them, but they should not do so under the false pretense that this is why they are losing weight. Why? Because chances are they are not going to stay on Keto for life, so they need to be armed with an accurate representation of the dynamics of weight loss (and gain).
  • YogiSteven
    YogiSteven Posts: 1 Member
    I am also on the ketogenic diet. It does require a lot of focus and dedication, but I feel awesome since I have switched from a sugar driven metabolism to a fat fueled metabolism. I still need to find ways to get more protein into the mix because I keep coming up short. Also less saturated fats and more poly and mono unsaturated.
    Hey I'm Joe! I just want to say if your trying to lose body fat you should try ketogenic diet. It really works and you can still eat lots of good food!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    A lot of people have the wrong idea about keto. First the keto diet is not about being in a calorie deficit to lose weight. And the keto diet is not a short term diet that is not maintainable. A person can go keto for as long as they want. Keto is about reprogramming your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs.
    your body burns DIETARY fat when you do keto that is why its low carb and high fat. your body uses the fat you consume and turns it into ketones,instead of taking carbs and turning it into glucose. you arent using all your body fat if it were that simple people who wanted to lose body fat,once they lost all the body fat and had very little body fat they would have to stop the keto diet.

you lose body fat in a deficit of calories. I eat a lot of carbs and lost a lot of fat. I cant do keto because my body and liver cannot process high amounts of fat and cholesterol(genetic health issue). if keto also caused you to burn body fat then people like me wouldnt have lost any fat by your claims on keto. you also claim someone on keto can eat as much as they want. keto is a way of eating,not some magical fat loss way to do so.if you arent in a deficit then you wont lose weight, I think everyone here learned that the hard way.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    @lemurcat12
    I understand what you're saying but at the same time I honestly didn't see it as him "preaching" or his way of eating being "superior". Just like I don't see non-keto posts that way. He found something that really worked for him and wanted to share that with others. He did say people should try it not that they NEED to.

Everyone reads things differently though. :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Hey I'm Joe! I just want to say if your trying to lose body fat you should try ketogenic diet. It really works and you can still eat lots of good food!
    Been there, done that. My digestive system hated it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    A lot of people have the wrong idea about keto. First the keto diet is not about being in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    But to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. That's just how weight loss works. You're consuming less overall calories to lose weight.
    And the keto diet is not a short term diet that is not maintainable.
    It is if you like to eat carbs.
    A person can go keto for as long as they want.
    Sure. But they have to WANT to keep doing it to stay on it.
    Keto is about reprogramming your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs.
    Your body DOES burn fat for energy. Especially sleeping and at rest. Basic physiology 101.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    A lot of people need to remember to be nice to others that are having a positive moment about something that works for them! Why do we need to say remarks like "it didn't work for me" or "no I'm good". Let's cheer each other on and show support instead of shuning someone's happiness. Things work differently for people, what works for one may not work for the next person but that doesn't mean it's bad or doesn't work period.
    Congrats @bazookajoe123 on your success!! Feel free to add me for support :)
    OP's first statement is biased. ANY diet works of you apply it correctly.
    The issue here is misinformation about FAT BURNING based on a type of diet. That one burns more on keto than other diets, when it's not true based on clinical study.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Lol, so many victims on MFP. You haven't yet mentioned, vegans, OMAD, "clean" eaters, MLM users, "detox" crowd, etc. who also feel the same way YET have to apply CICO to their preference to still lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    And saying "Keto is about reprogramming your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs." is not true science. It simply isn't.
    And yet.....That is exactly what is happening. Could you explain a little better or point me to what you mean. I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    Your body burns fat AT REST regardless of what diet you do. It's the primary fuel when resting. Physiology 101.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    @lemurcat12
    I understand what you're saying but at the same time I honestly didn't see it as him "preaching" or his way of eating being "superior". Just like I don't see non-keto posts that way. He found something that really worked for him and wanted to share that with others. He did say people should try it not that they NEED to.

Everyone reads things differently though.

Yeah, I just can't imagine starting a thread to say people should eat like me.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Biology and physiology don't apply to Keto, since as we all know:

x4xvf5m1v7dv.jpg