WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Not sure I could get DH to post on here. :o He thinks you are all trolls and imposters. :laugh:

Tell your DH I'm deeply offended :trollface:

:lol:
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, Heather. I thought he was a lovely man :flowerforyou:
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Heather, I agree with you. I try to "seize the day" as much as I can and try not to wish the time until retirement away. Money is tight for us right now so I have to find happiness in the little things. Most days I succeed. I'm sorry to hear you had cancer. That's a hard road. I was a Hospice volunteer and know they are wonderful. But it sound like that's not were you are right now. Nice to make a plan, but then put it away and live each day. No need to think about it if you have your plan.

Lisa, sounds like you have a very busy lift. Don't forget to remember "you"

NYKaren, well maybe a weekend to Corning after our vacation to Delaware. Have you ever been to Delaware. We are going to check it out as a place to retire. Heard it was a good place for that. Would sell our current home and buy something else (one floor so no stairs)

Mary, I've heard Arizona is nice. I think that is where my ex is retiring to next year. Hope the change helps.

Rye, I'm not hanging on to the clothes that don't fit any more. If I lose enough weight to go down in size, I may not be able to afford a lot of new clothes, but I feel I will have worked hard enough for something new! Old clothes I'm taking to Goodwill.

Welcome Annie, I think you will like MFP. Only advice I have is to track, track, track. I'm faithful to entering my food. But everyone is different so find what works best for you. This group is great and very supportive. The one thing a nutritionist told me was "you don't have to be perfect"

Allie, sounds like the sleeping is going well for you. I'm so happy for you. Sleep makes all the difference in the world

Lenora, my husband is not a workaholic and I'm happy about that. However, he is a procrastinator which I'm not happy about.

Mary, so glad you will still have Shep. He is so cute.

Well my lunch time is done so back to work. Hope you all have a good day. Terry

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    terry dont know much about Delaware-just used to driving through it on the way to somewhere else! I have heard it is pretty economical for retirees.

DH and I have been talking more about Enjoying the now. DH has heart issues so feels living beyond his fifties is the "bonus round" :p He is fascinated by history and other cultures, though he is weak on languages as I am-his love of India is well reported here, you veteran ladies would agree. I think his wanderlust has inspired me to stretch beyond my comfort zone, for that I am grateful. He has also been very supportive of my fitness journey and he himself does his best to keep moving and avoids overeating naturally. He would love to move to warmer dryer climate such as AZ or NE but that is a ways off as his mother is nearby and I can't imagine him wanting to be far from her.

heather just made a lovely pulled chicken with frozen chicken--easy easy easy and very tasty, thank you IP!

Stay safe everyone. NYKAREN
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi all -

Up til 7:00 am. I seem to be having a sleepless night about once a week now. I think last night was anticipating hubby's day off. He acts like nothing has happened and has completely ignores my distress. When I finally got back in bed I slept about 6 hours so I did rest. So thankful this is a day off for me.

Mary and Allie - thinking of you as you approach your major changes. Mine will be a little while off but it will come.
    Toni
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN -
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Today we head to Corning glass museum and then the long drive home. We snuck in a dinner with DH on college campus last night--I got one more hug from her-delightful. When I get home I'll post some pics.

I am planning a trip to Corning with my glass blowing partner. We were going to go this Fall, but we both signed up for a class instead so we will now wait until next Spring. I'd sure like to know what else is in the area that is worth seeing.

Mia in MI
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Annie in FL: Welcome! Best advice: 1: Log every bite and swallow every day, even if you go over your goal. 2: Stop by here frequently for support, friendship & advice. 3. Move more. Find something you love. For me it is yoga and horseback riding, plus walking. Others have different preferences. If it is fun for you, you're more likely to stick with it. 4. Stop by here often to give and get encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

Heather: When you tour the US be sure to visit CO and check in with Rori. She is absolutely delightful. After my DH met her, his worries about the "trolls and imposters" among the women in this group disappeared. I'd love to meet you in person if you get all the way to Oregon. :wink:

Mary: Thanks for sharing the wonderful photo of Shep. :bigsmile:

I went to yoga today for the second day in a row. I missed too much of it during DH's various eye appointments and snow this winter, followed by other interruptions for car repairs, etc. I've lost some of my strength. I'm currently hard at work to reclaim it. I need to get to yoga an average of at least three times a week to feel my best.

Sending good thoughts for everyone facing flooding in Texas. I hope you're in a safe place and have no serious damage to contend with at home.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Keeping all those in Harvey's path in my prayers. Some of the pictures and stories break my heart. We had a storm this last Saturday night with rain and wind. It bent our 12 foot flag pole in half. But it is nothing like they are getting down south.

I fell a couple times on Saturday. Not sure why but am really sore. Both times I fell on my left side and it looks like someone beat me up. I feel really dumb about it as was no reason I should of fallen..

Becca--Glad to hear you got 2 letters, sounds like he is growning up fast.

Terry--Congrates on the sale and thank you for sharing so we can get to know you.

Lenora--Congrates to DS and DDIL. Sending prayers
    Taffanie--Congrates on becoming a grandma. I tell you it is the best, you can love and spoil them and send them home.

Lisa--That is what we are here for so vent all you need to.

Well ladies all caught up with posts and time to get some work done. Stay safe and dry.

Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Ooh. Mia. Sounds exciting, besides the museum itself there is the Hands on Glassstudio that is a stand alone studio, shopping in the neighborhood called the Gafferdistrict and the Rockwell museum all in the same part of town. We didn't stay longer than 3/4 of a day so we didn't eat there, but if you are extending the trip Watkins Glen is an amazing park with hiking and beautiful gorges and waterfalls. - it's also famous for a raceway and there are a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts hanging around that town. If you love waterfalls and can't get to Niagra (which is 2.5 hour drive) then Watkins glen is about less than 40 minutes from Corning. Sounds like a fun trip-glass art is fascinating and stunning. Check out trip advisor for details on the sights--I absolutely wanted to stay in Corning longer.
    NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon to Everyone!

Gloria ~ Nice picture of you and the pups.

Mary ~ Hoping your husband gets a job he loves right away. Y'all have a lot of work to do to get ready for the move and I certainly don't envy you that.

Love the kitty and puppy pics!

Annie ~ Welcome

Growing Old ~ After watching my mom living her last couple of years in a nursing home, I just hope the Good Lord calls me home before I have to go through that. Mom hated living there but there was no way we could keep her at home.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    %
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Lisa – thank you for sharing that information about HEB. Hats off to them and if they had stores locally I’d surely support them. I’ve been reading about the “Houston Navy” and now the “Cajun Navy” – individuals with boats helping with the rescue efforts. Hopefully there are enough centers are opening to care for the displaced folks.

Karen in NY – I hope you and DH can do some traveling, yes do it while you are healthy and enjoy being together in close quarters B) for an extended period of time LOL. Tomorrow will take care of itself. India and parts of Asia sound very nice. Corning sounded amazing!

Heather – please don’t pass away yet. We are looking forward to your travelogue next year and your IP meals. And pictures of Bea and her siblings!

Gloria – nice picture of you and the furbabies! Are you still looking for work or were you waiting til the kids are back in school? Hope the exterminator got the job done once and for all!!

Lenora – I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about the Dave Ramsey program. I listen to him on the radio now and then and like to hear folks yell “We’re debt free!” We’ve been down the overwhelming credit card debt scenario and did the card cut-up and belt tightening several decades ago. The cc spending can get out of control fast. We only use them for gas purchases and minimal items we need, paying off each month and I refuse to use debit. Sears called me yesterday and told me the card info was compromised so they were closing my account and reissuing. Thank goodness no one had charged anything – they said it happened to cards used at Kmart.

Annie – Welcome! Thanks to Barbie, I was introduced to strength training – “Strong Women Stay Young” and it’s made a big difference for me. I look forward to it three times a week in an effort to be active in addition to walking – I try to average 8,000 steps a day on my Fitbit, hopefully more, but I don't stress about it. It’s an incentive for me to move more but not a contest.

Mary – Shep looks great. Hope you get settled you can find a gym but you are the kettlebell queen! Safe journey!

Thinking more about retirement – I was addicted to being busy. I am amazed at all I used to get done while I was working - seeing the canning and other projects I'd dive right into on days off and weekends.

So, when I retired, I wanted to make sure I was “busy enough”. The PT job helped and I asked to be put on a local senior advisory board in addition to Master Gardener volunteer duties.

I am now finding I’m perfectly comfortable with not having a lot of commitments, no longer schedule driven or meeting requirements set up by someone else. I'm thinking of bagging MG next year and maybe the advisory board even tho the only requirement for that is a three hour meeting once a month. Talk about the pendulum swinging the other way.

It did take time to realize today is the “tomorrow” I was always waiting for. It’s here.

Have a good afternoon!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary – Louis was painting on weekends or after he had made all his calls; he decided to quit that salesman’s job because at every turn they were cutting his territory into pieces, chipping chunks out of it for ‘new’ salesmen to have. He has made far more money painting houses than selling paper goods.

Dorrie – I have a Respironics Cpap machine; and, I am extremely claustrophobic. When they put the masks on me, I freaked out major time, then they put a half-mask on me and that was no better. Finally, they tried one that only covered my nose and that work great for me. Fits only over my nose. It is called a ‘Wisp’ mask; and, where you get your supplies should be able to fit you. My new machine is so much quieter than my first. The only thing I don’t like about it is how you have to put the water into the chamber. I am always spilling the ‘distilled’ water (which has stained my floor because it seems to have a slightly oily feel to it. The MD had to order that my machine start off at a 9 and work up to a 12; because I was not falling to sleep at 3. The next time I have to have another sleep study (in 4 more years) I am going to request having it at the hospital. You will be so much more rested when you start using it. I think I slept 10 – 11 hours straight. If I think I might fall asleep (nap), I also use it. I was surprised at how many times they told me I stopped breathing during the night without a mask.

Tere – Louis is ‘always’ doing something, working or doing something around the house and yard. The ‘only’ thing he has procrastinated about is finishing our glassed-in porch. I think he got a ‘quote’ on finishing it, just to shut me up. But, we can’t do anything until Windows World brings out the new windows to replace the ones with raw wood. Totally unacceptable; because there are so many 1” square trim and because we did not get it before they were put up, the raw wood showed from the inside as well as the outside. The installer (not the yahoos that originally did the job) came out and took pictures and told him that it was, indeed, raw low quality wood that had been ripped and it wasn’t even a straight cut. He would not have been proud to have the Windows World reputation shown in my job. They had ‘butt-jointed them together living wide cracks between them. So when he sent pictures, they came and brought out the higher quality trim. When he attempted to remove the first one, he cracked it. So they decided to re-measure them all so that ‘if’ he cracked any more it would not be ‘on him’ and they would not have to wait to come back. When I called on the Monday before we left on Friday the girl said ‘oh, Jamey has not been in yet and I have to wait for him to order the windows. To say I was pissed was being nice. I told her that we’d be on vacation this week and they better have them ready to be reinstalled. I thought I got the same damn song and dance line 3 weeks earlier. They WILL fix it to my standards (or I will be sending letters to every BBB south of Macon. I don't want to have to resort to that. I trust that they will stand behind their guarantee - which also includes the way they are put in. Can't guarantee their windows if the installation looked like it had been done by a 9-year-old.

I want Louis to do some painting; but, like the cobbler’s wife and children, it is the last thing he does. He did paint my kitchen; and, I want him to paint the cabinets because I have gotten tired of the blond wood and the hunter green counter-tops.

I’m going to go for a walk (expecting it to rain) … [back] got in 30 minutes; but, the muck was sticking to the bottoms of my shoes. Had to come and wash it off because unlike Georgia red clay it doesn’t pop off when you slam them against one another. It dries like cement. Will keeps a pair of good shoes and boots in his truck and also at the house. Sometimes it will suck his boots off. I remember a couple of years ago, before he fixed the road; we had to park at the gate and he came and got us. He carried me to his truck and when we got home, carried me to his house. Waited until the next day to go back and get our suitcases.

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Penny - He thought you were lovely too! He's just an old sceptic. <3 We did have quite a spectacular "discussion" about it in the dining room on our cruise. We were still going at it after everyone else had left and the waiters were re - laying tables for breakfast all round us. :o
    Katla - I am developing my secret plans to make it over to tour the States. :bigsmile: Now, if I had another lottery win .......

Lanette - I like that sentiment - today is the tomorrow I was always waiting for. I realised that a while ago. I realised I was saving up special trips for the "right moment". Suddenly I woke up and thought, "what am I waiting for?" At nearly 68 I want to do as much as I can before I start to deteriorate. :DB)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lanette I am waiting until school starts again. Would love to find a part time job in the mornings.

Heather this is probably the only site that I don't think there are trolls and imposters on :p

Machka the protea are magical. Interesting how the vegetation in other areas of the world are so different.

Mary hoping for all good things for you and DH.

Got things to do so later gators.

Gloria in WA