Age = less attractiveness?

Options

Replies

• QUEENxo1992
    QUEENxo1992 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As I have aged I have become so much more confident in the essence of who I am and frankly, somewhere along the line in my maturity my mindset is: here I am world....you can suck it if you don't like it. Really, there is such freedom in maturing. As for my beauty or attractiveness, I am boldly more attractive now than I have been in many many years. Start from the inside out and love yourself first and the world will be attracted to that. And I would agree with what tcunbeliever said dont fret about the future my dear....embrace the right now. Lastly, you are beautiful! Enjoy the journey ....it goes tooo fast.
    I like your mindset, I hope I get this one with my maturity as well.
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This speaks more to the maturity of the eye of the beholder. A shallow mind desires aesthetic perfection. A mature mind desires more - with that more comes wrinkles, scars, blemishes, gray, etc.

I grew up admiring ladies such as Lauren Bacall and Helen Mirren, not for their looks, but their attitudes, intellect and confidence.

Society gets pretty much everything wrong. Don't follow the masses.

I try not to "follow the masses" but it's hard to do as you say when every girl on every poster is not flawed at all.
    I find that the older I get the less I give a rats behind what anyone else thinks about me or anything else in the universe...particularly when it comes to people who are just negative and boring and don't have anything nice to say about the world.

So, don't fret about the future...because odds are good that by the time it arrives you won't even be the same you anyway.

Great advice! Thank you. I appreciate this so much. I will try not to worry about my future. I already love so much about myself ; but sometimes my thoughts just take over and I worry about dumb things.
    I'm 44; I feel like I am more attractive now than I probably have ever been. Do I notice the fine lines and wrinkles more? yes! But I have earned every one of them. I'm finding that as I am aging I am attracting more quality people versus quantity. I'm ok with that.

I highly encourage good skin care to start at the earliest of ages.

Good skin care, check! I will try that. Thank you
    becky10rp wrote: »
    That depends on what you find 'attractive'. Yes, when you get older, you will get wrinkles. Your body will change. I'm 51 - and my body and face look different than when I was 25 years old. But I'm also wiser, more independent, and (I think) a much more interesting person. 'Beauty' and 'attractiveness' is in the eye of the beholder. I find a good sense of humor and intelligence attractive. Personally, I'm also physically in better shape now than when I was 25 years old.
    Interesting. I like this reply. Thank you.
    I think I'm much more attractive in my 40s than I was in my 20s. Age is just a number. There are enough things in life to stress us and bring on insecurity - age is something you can't change (and really, you WANT to age as it means you're still alive :) ) so try to let go of the number and just focus on the things that you want to change that you also have some control over.

I guess I get super attached to any number: age, weight, etc. It's hard not to. But I will try not to like you say

Thank you everyone for your honest replies. I love this community !

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    But Raquel Welch is still pretty smoking hot at 76.

I guess I'll disagree, in that while she is hot for 76, she was hotter in Barbarella.

Yeah, it sucks, but people get less attractive as they age and, in general, it is worse for women (in the eyes of most men). Looking around the gym, I see older ladies who are fit and in better shape than I am (not difficult to be) but they are not as attractive as the younger women. Somehow (and it may just be the straight guy in me talking here) I don't see as much of a difference between younger and older guys if they are in shape.

It's not right, it's not fair and it is no reason to not improve your health.

Hope I man'splained that well.

You're thinking of Jane Fonda or Anita Pallenberg. Raquel Welch is stunning, but she wasn't in Barbarella,

Ahhhh. Brain fart. Jane Fonda.

Most women like a man with a sharp mind :wink: :lol:

Oh. Go make me a sammich. Or at least on of your frozen lunches :)

Psh! You're just jealous because my frozen lunches are better than anything you can get up there in the great white north.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Google septuagenarian.

Baby boomers are slowly losing their edge, but when they say "trending", marketers say, "how high"? It has never been a better time to fashionably age.

P.S. This is Beatrix Ox. Gorgeous isn't she?

Smart designers will always cater to the customers with the $$$ to spend!

I can dig the coat and shoes but that skirt? Notsomuch :tongue:
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I noticed an emerging pattern this morning. The older dudes (60+) have always loved me, at every age and every weight. Lots of ogling. But that age group has been widening as I've been getting slimmer and dressing better. I'm now getting ogled regularly by 30-yr-olds. And I'm 46.

Sure, I may not be as objectively attractive as that 20-yr-old hottie at the gym, but that's not my target market. I have no desire to attract 20-yr-old guys. My son is 20. So, yuck. Also, I'm married, and this is all hypothetical anyway. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Age is one of those things you can't ever change or control, so why bother worrying your life away about it? That's my attitude. I am all for trying to live healthy and make great decisions and stay "youthful", though, don't get me wrong.

One other way to look at it, though...in a lot of ways, being older is kind of great because peoples' expectations change quite a bit. The bar is lowered, somewhat. I hope that doesn't sound horrible. I just think the stereotype tends to be that youth = beauty. So if you're 22 (for example) you're halfway expected to look like a skinny, nubile model.

By 30 or 40 and beyond, more and more of your peer group has begun to age and many people who were once considered super-hot (male and female) have sorta "let themselves go" and if you take care of yourself, you start to look better and better! This is definitely true. I weighed the same and looked pretty much the same at age 18 and 28 and at my 10 year high school reunion, everyone was raving about how great I looked and wondering how much weight I'd lost. None. I was possibly a few pounds heavier. It's just that to the size 2 and 4 cheerleaders in high school, a size 20 teenager looked worse to them than a size 20 grown up does when they're now size 14 themselves ;-)

On the other hand, I do think it can be even more of a letdown when you lose a major amount of weight and see positive and negative changes in your looks. I've experienced this myself. I lost over 100 lb around the age of 35. I'm happy with my body, but I also feel that now at 40 I see (especially in my face, neck, and skinny arms) quite a few "old lady" traits that wouldn't have appeared at this point if I'd stayed much much heavier. But to me...it's still worth it.