September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I wore the exact same blue Steigen socks for my marathon! xx

That's funny because when I grabbed them I thought of you.
    I was looking to see where they were made, China. But the company was .com.au so I figured it was an Aussie brand.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day!!! I feel the temperature changing a little bit down here in Central Florida! Can't wait for the leaves to change colors :wink:

9/1 - 4.62 miles
    9/2 - 30 min cardio
    9/3 - 30 min walk
    9/4 - 4.16 miles = total 8.78 miles
    9/5 -
    9/6 -
    9/7 -
    9/8 -
    9/9 -
    9/10 -
    9/11 -
    9/12 -
    9/13 -
    9/14 -
    9/15 -
    9/16 -
    9/17 -
    9/18 -
    9/19 -
    9/20 -
    9/21 -
    9/22 -
    9/23 -
    9/24 -
    9/25 -
    9/26 -
    9/27 -
    9/28 -
    9/29 -
    9/30 -

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    September Goal - 180 Miles

9/1/17 - 4.07 Easy
    9/3/17 - 8.43 Easy - 38.44 Week
    9/4/17 - 6.60 Tempo

Total 19.10 of 180 Miles

Had to shuffle my rest day to Saturday due to some family stuff and the the alarm getting told off in the morning. Yesterday was an easy run with 88% z2 effort. It was a bit warmer and the humidity was very high at about 90%. I think the Hurricane sent us the warm humid weather without the rain. For the week i ended with 38.44 miles which is up a couple from the previous week. Average HR also was also down considerably and the average pace is still trending faster. If i want to get back to 45-50 MPW i'm going to need to start doing a traditional long run, not just a couple miles longer than a average weekday run.

Today was still a bit warmer than i like at 72 degrees. I figured I needed a bit of a tempo run to see if I still knew how to run fast, at least fast for a fat guy. Felt pretty good for the 4 tempo miles and went way slower than I knew I could go. Tried to keep HR right at the gray area below threshold without crossing threshold. Mile 4 had a nice .25 mile climb that sent the HR up but overall it wasn't too bad. In the end the tempo pace was 2 min/mile slower than this time last year.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Upcoming races:
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

. . .

I realized I only have two speedwork groups before taper, and the second one I will be traveling. I should try to make that up - maybe I can do a tempo run at my hotel. And two more long runs. I'm a bit torn on what to do. Coach's plan seems to call for a max of 2 hrs 15 min and then it is alternated back to 1 hr 45 min the next week and then repeat that until HM time. I did 12 miles this week in about 2:15 (a little over, very slow for parts) so I'm think I'll cut back to 9-10 next Saturday (3 weeks out) and back up to 12-14 the next (2 weeks out). Last year for my first marathon I never ran more than 11, but in the meantime I've now done a total of 3 half marathons so I know I can finish the distance. So I wonder if it's worth it or not to run 13 or 14 miles? I know it's not necessary, but could it be helpful? Or maybe I should stick to 12 but try to do a little better pace. I will ask my coach but just pondering things as I wrote out my taper calendar.

For someone who runs multiple HMs, I'm a fan of stretching the long runs in training up to 16 miles. That really helps with the last 4 miles on race day; they aren't the mental challenge that they were when I only ran 13 miles in training. Given 4 weeks till Wineglass, I'd say that if you want to do a long run that is more than HM distance, now or next weekend is the time to get it in.

I'd guess that you're right on the bubble between needing to train up for a half and being in condition to just run a half whenever. What do you want out of Wineglass? If you just want to have fun, it doesn't much matter what you do as long as you don't injure yourself. If you want to strive for a PR, backing off the last week or two will be important so you arrive at the start line well rested, frustrated by not being allowed to run as much as you'd like, and wound up like a coiled spring ready to take off.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 13.1 miles! 2h:09m:49s
    9/2 3.1mi 31m:56s
    9/3 rest
    9/4 4.38mi 41m:07s

Another run/bike ride with the kids. We were a little faster today! I tried to follow the interval prompts from Runkeeper to run faster for 30 second bursts.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    09/01/17 - 10 miles - mostly Z2
    09/02/17 - Rain
    09/03/17 - 9 miles - Z2/Z3
    09/04/17 - 9 miles - Z2

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Wanted to do a long run today, but just lacked the energy, so turned in early at 9 miles. Maybe next weekend.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Upcoming races:
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

. . .

I realized I only have two speedwork groups before taper, and the second one I will be traveling. I should try to make that up - maybe I can do a tempo run at my hotel. And two more long runs. I'm a bit torn on what to do. Coach's plan seems to call for a max of 2 hrs 15 min and then it is alternated back to 1 hr 45 min the next week and then repeat that until HM time. I did 12 miles this week in about 2:15 (a little over, very slow for parts) so I'm think I'll cut back to 9-10 next Saturday (3 weeks out) and back up to 12-14 the next (2 weeks out). Last year for my first marathon I never ran more than 11, but in the meantime I've now done a total of 3 half marathons so I know I can finish the distance. So I wonder if it's worth it or not to run 13 or 14 miles? I know it's not necessary, but could it be helpful? Or maybe I should stick to 12 but try to do a little better pace. I will ask my coach but just pondering things as I wrote out my taper calendar.

For someone who runs multiple HMs, I'm a fan of stretching the long runs in training up to 16 miles. That really helps with the last 4 miles on race day; they aren't the mental challenge that they were when I only ran 13 miles in training. Given 4 weeks till Wineglass, I'd say that if you want to do a long run that is more than HM distance, now or next weekend is the time to get it in.

I'd guess that you're right on the bubble between needing to train up for a half and being in condition to just run a half whenever. What do you want out of Wineglass? If you just want to have fun, it doesn't much matter what you do as long as you don't injure yourself. If you want to strive for a PR, backing off the last week or two will be important so you arrive at the start line well rested, frustrated by not being allowed to run as much as you'd like, and wound up like a coiled spring ready to take off.

Thanks for your comments and advice @MobyCarp (and I realized I typo-ed in one sentence and said marathon when I meant HM - I've never run a full :)). I appreciate you taking the time.

What do I want out of Wineglass? Although I have always said it's for fun and just to complete a challenge, I really would like to PR and know I will be disappointed if I don't. I had such a huge improvement from my first HM last fall to the one I did in May. I don't expect that kind of huge gain again but I have been training consistently all summer so I should be able to do better.

I would plan to do a longer than race distance run this coming weekend, but I will be traveling. I definitely plan to DO a long run (I'll be in Boston, so a long run along the Charles is on the agenda) but I don't really want to take up my whole day running and recovering. So that's why I was thinking of doing the longest run the next weekend which is 2 weeks out and then definitely taper. I like your analogy of a coiled up spring. I do want to be very well rested. I will ponder the options though.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    September goal: 65 miles

9/3: 7.1 miles
    9/4: 3.1 miles

10.2/65 miles

I intended to get up early and run while it was still coolish, but I am not a morning person and I just couldn't do it. It was funny though. It was warmer this morning when I left the house than yesterday, but the heat didn't bother me as much. I guess because I knew it was hot. I guess yesterday I wasn't expecting it to be so hot and I was more disappointed.

@Dcorrick I always use spotify because I like to customize my playlist. Can you do that with the run feature or does spirit pick the songs?

@elise4270 I pretty much always get black shorts or capris. That way my shirts always match.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9/1- REST
    9/2- Family Time
    9/3- Family Time
    9/4- 6

Total: 6

September goal: Survive 100k training and the beginnings of pre-race freak out
    Nominal Mileage goal: 200 miles

Today's notes: Mondays are "normally" rest days, but after 3 days of no running, I was getting antsy, so my mom and I headed to the park for an easy run. Got in 6 miles on the hiking trails. Great way to start the last day before the school year starts.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Finally persuaded myself to do a run Saturday. Note to self, don't do 7 miles having barely run all week. Still aching today (feels like the BONES in my butt are hurting.). Kept it on the flat for a change - maybe that's a problem as I didn't change terrain or use other muscles!

I don't usually listen to anything when running, but sometimes a long run goes better with sound. I either listen to trail running podcasts or audiobooks. My local library offers audiobook downloads FOR FREE so I don't even need an audible account. Mostly I listen to crime novels as otherwise I zone out (I do a lot of driving and they help there). Don't ever listen to Richard Burton reading Dylan Thomas's Under Milkwood if you want or need to stay awake......

• Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Decided to skip the gym this morning and relax on the beach a little longer after my morning walk.

Then I checked the updated hurricane Irma forecast. To quote Jimmy Buffett: "Squalls out on the Gulf Stream, big storm's comin' in soon...

Testing the generator and trimming stuff away from the house. Another Floriday...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ now you have me worried - I just booked on a running weekend!!

I did check with them what sort of distance/speed it'll be, and he said you go at your own pace, which slightly concerns me as it's quite easy to get lost on the moor, it all looks the same....!!!

But it sounds fun and I hope you're enjoying it. Mostly I want to get tips on technique and navigation.
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

@Dcorrick I always use spotify because I like to customize my playlist. Can you do that with the run feature or does spirit pick the songs?

It makes the running playlists, but there's one that's based on what you've been listening to. And if you search the playlists, others have made lists for 160, 165 and 170 BPM.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    September Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – rest/injury volunteer at 12K
    9/2 – rest/injury 2.6 mile bike ride
    9/3 – rest/injury 8.6 mile bike ride

September running total to date – 0.00

Nominal challenge goal: 1 mile

Real goals: Get healthy enough to run again. Make a final decision on whether to register for Boston 2018.

Today's notes – Spent about 4 hours out of the boot this morning, including a bike ride. 8.6 miles in around 42 minutes with only a couple minor hills was okay for the ankle, though after I got back I could tell the PTT was a bit fatigued. Put the boot on and accepted being sedentary the rest of the day.

It's getting really hard to resist the temptation to test whether I can run. Cycling, and noting that even that is enough to mildly fatigue the PTT, helps ground me to the reality that I need to back off the running for a while longer.

Saw the results for Oak Tree Half online. The guy who won my age group ran it in 1:36:21. Healthy, I could beat that. Things being as they are, DNS was the correct strategy. The good news is, the age group winner is a guy who hadn't run any Rochester Runner of the Year races till Oak Tree. I had already clinched at least a tie of the age group for the series; this clinches a series age group win for me. The series win would feel better if I'd run Oak Tree, but I'll take the result.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)