Dukan it out !!! - The Dukan Diet

Options

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    In a book I am reading, Extreme Fat Smash by Dr. Ian Smith, he says that consumption of too much protein sends your body into ketosis which can cause heart problems. Is this true? What if you have a history of heart disease in your fam?
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's not something that I can answer, sorry. If you're unsure his diet is right for you, see your Dr.
  • change_happens
    Options
    thanks a lot. i appreciate the advice.
  • gardenangelwhorns
    Options
    I found it very easy to follow, I've been on it a week and am down 10lbs. It takes some planning.....I'm a truck driver so I had to make sure I had cooked meat in the cooler to just grab. That and along with skim milk and no fat dairy products like cottage cheese and no fat natural yogurt. I can honestly say I feel better, I wasn't hungry at all and my energy level stayed up where I need it.
  • gardenangelwhorns
    Options
    Where did you find the oat bran that he suggests? I've looked at the grocery stores but it's not with the other grains. Thanks
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I felt sooooooooo sick I couldn't stand it. After about a week I thought I'd throw up at the sight of another steak or protein of any sort. Couldn't stand the whole ketosis thing with bad taste in my mouth etc.
    Its actually what sent me here to just eat normally and count calories.
    Previously I did this thing Super Fast Weight Loss for Women by a NZ nutritionist and it has always worked for me but I did it on and off for so many years and still had extra weight. At the end of the Dukan I was so sick of thinking of food in terms of good food and bad food etc.
    I feel so happy having a bowl of cereal and not feeling guilty about it as for years I have avoided any carbs I could.
  • Erin_26
    Options
    GardenAngel - I did not find the milled oat bran Dr. Dukan suggests and didn't feel like ordering it from his site. I bought regular (I assume?) oat bran from my grocery store. It was with the hot cereals/oatmeals/etc. I mix 2 tbsp. with 4 tbsp. f.f. sugar-free vanilla yogurt for breakfast. I guess it's not as good as the type Dr. Dukan suggests, but I'm still losing weight and don't really care! :)

Fiona - Sorry about your poor experience! I'm glad you've found a method that works for you.
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi fellow Dukan-ers! I'm on day 9 (did attack for 4 days since I want to lose about 15 pounds) and am down 6.5 pounds, which I am SO excited about since the scale has not moved down since April... Anyway, here is a great site I found that has a lot of good info on it. I use it a lot since I actually have not bought the official book. There are also some good recipes - I made the chocolate oat muffins last night and they were surprisingly good. Also the site talks about the oat bran - you can use whatever kind of oat bran you can find as long as the ingredients are 100% oat bran (not steel cut or rolled oats). I found mine at the supermarket next to the oatmeal. I bet a health food store would have it too. HTH!

http://thedukandietsite.com/
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have started Dukan as well. On Day 4 (Attack phase 1). So far, I am finding it okay and can stick to it. I have lost a total of 3lbs on it.
    I bought oatbran from Trader Joe's - Natural Toasted Oat Bran. Feel free to add me
  • gardenangelwhorns
    Options
    thanks! I'll grab some of that.
  • ttheriot
    ttheriot Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Day 6 of Dukan! Today was difficult. I'm craving crunch! I added oat bran to fat free yogurt, with some unsweetened cocoa powder and Truvia, and YUM! Not crunch, but it was good! I hope tomorrow is better! I have 4 more days until I switch to Phase 2! I am determined to stick with it!
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Glad everyone is doing so well and enjoying this book/diet!

I confess, I had a terrible weekend and cheated both Sunday night and last night! But I weighed myself this morning and now am even more convinced that this book holds all the answers because I gained .... wait for it........ 5.5 lbs in 2 days. Holy Cow !!!!! Terrifying. That convinces me that my body really does need to accept a new weight through the Phase 3 and 4 of Dukan. I need to TRAIN my body and make it accept my goal weight as real and not to panic and try to pile it back on.

Anyway, back to Attack Phase today and 1.5 tbsp. oat bran. I am not giving myself a # of days goal for Attack, just going to see how long I can do it. Dr. Dukan says you can do it up to 10 days, but I may need some veggies before then. I'll just see how it goes.

WATER WATER WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

E.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Glad everyone is doing so well and enjoying this book/diet!

I confess, I had a terrible weekend and cheated both Sunday night and last night! But I weighed myself this morning and now am even more convinced that this book holds all the answers because I gained .... wait for it........ 5.5 lbs in 2 days. Holy Cow !!!!! Terrifying. That convinces me that my body really does need to accept a new weight through the Phase 3 and 4 of Dukan. I need to TRAIN my body and make it accept my goal weight as real and not to panic and try to pile it back on.

Anyway, back to Attack Phase today and 1.5 tbsp. oat bran. I am not giving myself a # of days goal for Attack, just going to see how long I can do it. Dr. Dukan says you can do it up to 10 days, but I may need some veggies before then. I'll just see how it goes.

WATER WATER WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

E.

Don't worry about the gain, dukan days in his book that of you do cheat you will put on a few extra pounds, but it's just water weight, it'll drop back off!
  • change_happens
    Options
    And mind you, I was still eating carbs and stills felt ill. It is just a lot of meat to consume. For me anyway. I have heard of people who do really well with it, but if you aren't a big meat eater....
  • destiny1007
    Options
    My friend has lost 20 lbs. in 2 wks on the Dukan Diet. I recently started...I'm on Day 3 and already lost 4 lbs. I'm super excited because it is easy to follow and every time I go on the scale I see a little difference. I'm hoping I stay motivated!
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Destiny - Congratulations on starting! I am also on Day 2 of Attack phase, since I'm doing a do-over. Hope we can help motivate each other!
  • JulieThielen
    JulieThielen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Dukan since the middle of May. As long as your oatbran is 100% oatbran you will be fine. I have used Hodgeson mills. I now buy mine in the bulk food section of Hy-Vee. You can also get it at most healthfood stores.
  • JulieThielen
    Options
    If you are really craving crunch I had a friend suggest eating 3 or 4 pork rinds. Yes they are high in fat but they give you the crunch you need without the carbs.
  • JulieThielen
    Options
    Have you checked the dukandiet.com.uk to check your true weight. According to the book if you go beyond the recommended days of attack you might start gaining weight instead. I belong to a team that has been doing the dukan for a while and they are an awesome support and a fountain of knowledge. They have helped me a lot. Right now I am stuck and have gained to health issues so I am back on the attack for a while to get things going down again. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • Erin_26
    Options
    Hi Julie,

The books says you can do Phase 1 up to 10 days. I am on Day 3, so I'm ok, but thanks! I really love the Attack phase, such a motivator! I looooove seeing that scale drop!

I check out www.thedukandietsite.com quite often and use it to bounce ideas and questions.

Your team sounds great!