September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB are you going to train 100% for 100 miles? That would be total beast, runnong a 100 mile training run. Even thr pros are topping out in the 120mpw range for those, with like a 30 and a 20 on the weekends.

On the LSU guy rhing... Not creepy.... one day I'll get to be in the same race as you and get some of your coolness..... CDR 2019
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    9/1 - Rest day
    9/2 - 13.18 miles. Very slow, mostly walking. Really struggled with low BG throughout entire run. Depleted electrolytes and had cramping towards end and afterwards.
    9/3 - Rest
    9/4 - Cross train - hiked 10 miles.
    9/5 - Unplanned rest day - seems like I might have sprained left ankle.
    9/6 - 6.34 miles (plan was for 8, but trying to be easy on ankle ahead of HM on 9/9)
    9/7 - Unplanned rest - trying to rest ankle for HM and spare electrolytes
    9/8 - Rest
    9/9 - 12.74 Wabash Trace HM 2:02:08 (we all took a wrong turn shortly after start, causing the short distance)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @allyphoe When I went from 3 to 4 days a week, I shortened three of the runs so for the first few weeks I was running the same distance over 4 days. I kept my Sunday run the same so instead of 3 equal runs I had 1 longer run and three shorter runs. I think it helped.

@kgirlhart Yeah, last weekend, instead of doing ~4.5 miles on Saturday, I ran 2.6 Saturday and 2.3 Sunday. So no significant increase in mileage. My guess is that this was just a rough week to have more physical stress - I haven't gotten enough sleep or non-running exercise, been eating poorly, and my emotional stress level has been high. But most of that should resolve either in the next week or the next couple of weeks as my work life moves from peak season to off season. So I'll just keep on keeping on, and eventually I'll have more running days.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Dcorrick wrote: »
    Got restless pre-storm, so got just a little running in this a.m. Was raining after the first few minutes, but all it did was make it more humid.

We are hunkered down, and as prepared as we think we need to be. Our forecast is better than it was two days ago. The first bands of Irma are arriving, and the storm will be here in force tomorrow. I'm on the lower east coast, and we'll have impacts, but my thoughts are with the Florida Keys and the Naples/Ft. Myers area. This is a worst-case situation for Key West and the Lower Keys.

exercise.png

It was an amazing day for a run! But we were finishing up our boards and helping neighbors who couldn't get theirs up so no last run before the storm for me. Now, we wait.
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Running total for September -
    1 Sept 2.85km run 3.50km walk
    2 Sept NONE
    3 Sept 5km
    4 Sept no run but 3.50km walk
    5 Sept PT session and 3.50km walk
    6 Sept 3.5km walk
    7 Sept PT session plus 3.50km walk
    8 Sept 6km on treadmill plus 3.50km walk
    9 Sept rest day
    10 Sept 4.25km Cumulative total =38.01km
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had set target of 120 but been ill at start of month and had to miss a few runs so im now going to go for 110 miles.
    1/9-9.1
    2/9-ill
    3/9-ill
    4/9-ill
    5/9-5.0
    6/9-3.1
    7/9-4.1
    8/9-REST
    9/9-8.1
    10/9-4.9

Total - 34.3/110 Miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lower calves on both legs are both pretty sore/stiff today. skipped my morning run, and may make today an extra rest day. Yesterday's run was GOOD, but after weeks of mostly trail running, I'm paying the price for running 2 hours at close to what I thought was tempo pace yesterday......
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks for the advice. My next Saturday run will be my longest at 20 miles. I will attempt to make it marathon prep without the carb loading and I will not push my pace. There is no doubt on one level that I can achieve the sub 4 hours, but there is the unanswerable question of the distance at that pace. We know that things can change dramatically once you add in the excitement of a race and the challenging distance of 26.2. My thought is to play it a little on the cautious side on race day even if I may go over 4 hours. I'm hoping I will be able to use the heart rate monitor to stay in zone 2 most of the race and then let it fly the last 10 k if I have it in me.
    @MNLittleFinn yesterday's run might have been a lot of zone x. Your smart to give yourself some extra rest. Congratulations on the performance, you should be proud.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I meant to mention yesterday on the loops thing. I did many loops last spring during half training, as my running buddy is an operating room nurse at a hospital, and she is frequently on call. We started, just knowing about a 1mile circle loop... short circle loops leave me feeling like I've been a race car, and lopsided. And something about the mile coming in at the exact same place I hated as well. And I think the most we ever did on the circle only is 7 or 8.... 20 would have killed me, and possibly left me with a permanent lean...
    Someone eventually taught us a way to make a 2.5ish mile figure eight loop, that would still leave us close enough to the cars she could make calls. Mentally, the longer than a mile, and the figure 8 vs the circle made a HUGE difference. But I don't think the figure 8 would have helped if it was still just a mile.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic you have to go to the finish line. It would be like a Catholic going to Rome and not visiting the Vatican.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @katharmonic you have to go to the finish line. It would be like a Catholic going to Rome and not visiting the Vatican.

LOL, will do! Just mapped it out, along with lunch and shopping targets.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @cburke8909 you nailed it. Average HR was solid zone X using Fitzgerald's system for HR. Upper z3 (163) for how my Garmin is set up.

I'm physically at a point where I know I'll be able to keep moving at my October race, so it's all the mental game now. Taking an extra day to recover from a hard run, rather than fret about sore calves and achilles will help my mental game me thinks.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Goal for Sept is 100 miles

Sept 1.....0 m.......Rest day
    Sept 2.....13.2m...MTD 13.2
    Sept 3.....0 m.......MTD 13.2
    Sept 4.....4.1 m....MTD 17.3 Also did 11 m ride in am.
    Sept 5.....4 m.......MTD 21.3 Much rain and distant thunder and lightning on run tonite.
    Sept 6.....3.1m.....MTD 23.4
    Sept 7.....4m........MTD 27.4
    Sept 8.....0 m.......MTD 27.4
    Sept 9.....0 m.......MTD 27.4
    Sept 10...11.2m...MTD 38.6

Great weather to run in this morning. Upper 50's and cloudy. Able to maintain a 9 min/mile pace without struggling. Stay safe in the weather for all of those of you dealing with Irma.

Upcoming races
    Sept 16. FCYC glow run 5K
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1.30 2/09 September
    1.93 5/09 September
    6.29 10/09 September

9.52 miles completed so far.
    10.48 miles left to go.

Going well so far although today's 10k was toughh.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @JessicaMcB thanks for the kind words :smile:

@katharmonic Congrats on your longest run! And I agree with @cburke8909 - you must visit the Boston Marathon finish line...for us! I personally will be waiting for a photo report :wink:

@amymoreorless I completely understand your concerns about wearing a costume. I ran a 10k wearing a tutu once, it was not bad, but that's as far as I am willing to go when it comes to dressing up for races :blush: But to me wearing comfortable clothes and shoes is crucial. I can deal with weather, hunger and even thirst, but do not tolerate chaffing and blisters.

Nice and easy run this morning, felt amazing! I am getting a lot faster, was able to average 8:55/mile, with my fastest mile being 8:28. Going to push for more miles this coming week and then start tapering before my first fall race. Hope everyone is having a great Sunday! Those in the path of Irma - stay safe!

Goal: 135
    Total: 43
    9/01 – 10 miles
    9/03 – 6 miles, easy afternoon run
    9/04 – 7 miles
    9/05 – 6 miles
    9/9 – 7 miles
    9/10 – 7 miles

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Upcoming races:
    September 24 – Bachman Valley Half Marathon. Goal – to beat my previous PR of 1:50
    October 22 – Gettysburg Blue-Gray Half Marathon.
    November 5 –Gettysburg Battleground Half Marathon. Goal – to enjoy this local run I was not aware of!

ieydofgf5zhh.jpg

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,988 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    September goal: 65 miles

9/3: 7.1 miles
    9/4: 3.1 miles
    9/5: 3.2 miles (intervals)
    9/6: 2.7 miles
    9/19: 7.2 miles

23.3/65 miles

It was such a nice morning for a run! I really couldn't wait to get out there. I had to rearrange my schedule this week and ended up having three rest days in a row. I really hate having three rest days in a row.

I hope all of our runners in the path of Irma are staying safe!

exercise.png