September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    8 km Run/Walk up Pats Creek trail, the same trail where 1-2 weeks ago we had a bear walking through the entrance barriers. Lots of bear scat from all the berries that are in prime season right now.
    27.8C = 82F: It was a real struggle in this heat. Un-seasonablly warm for this late in the fall. Even if it was in the middle of summer it would be a scorcher. Forgot to stop my watch so the numbers for the last km are off.
    Another one of our club members is moving on to a new job in a different community.
    So that's 3 members in a month :(:/:s:'( .

exercise.png

09/02 6.5 km – 143.5 km - 006.5 km – YTD 1001.07 km
    09/03 6.5 km – 137.0 km - 013.0 km – YTD 1007.57 km
    09/05 11.0 km – 126.0 km - 024.0 km – YTD 1018.57 km
    09/06 8.0 km – 118.0 km - 032.0 km – YTD 1026.57 km
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September goal....I'll know it when I see it.

9/1 rest
    9/2 4mile hike through Kilauea Iki, then 3.2 run on treadmill
    9/3 4.35
    9/4 4.00
    9/5 rest
    9/5 5.62

Total: 21.17

Happy Birthday @OSUbuckeye906 !
    @OregonMother and everyone else in the burning northwest: prayers and hugs.
    My dad evacuated from Stuart, Fl area today: he's headed to relatives on the gulf side, but I'm not sure that's any safer! Stay safe all you Floridians.

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    So much for trying to keep up with the September thread! I'm already so far behind. I'll update my miles and try to read/skim through the thread sometime soon.

Today was my 30th birthday. I had the day off work and am going out of town this weekend, so I decided to get my 20 miles in today. I had the perfect excuse to bail since I was diagnosed with a minor upper respiratory infection and costocondritis yesterday, but I was feeling okay after some Tylenol and I actually really wanted to run the 20 miles today, so off I went. I ran the first 10 miles fairly close to my apartment in case things went south, but I was feeling okay. I set out with an overall goal pace of 10:30 min/mile but was okay going slower if I wasn't feeling great. I ended the 20 miles at 3:29:21 (10:28 min/mile) with my fastest mile at mile 19 (9:43). Not a bad birthday run!

I don't know if I've mentioned here yet that I won a contest (along with 19 others) through my local running store for an entry into this year's NYC marathon, courtesy of New Balance. I'm also training for the Columbus Marathon, which is 3 weeks prior. Does anybody have suggestions on how I should approach the time between the two marathons?

9/1: rest
    9/2: 15 miles
    9/3: rest
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: rest
    9/6: 20 miles

TOTAL: 41/185 miles

@OSUbuckeye906 How many marathons have you run? I've only done the one, and I'd say rest, rest, rest. Gentle 20-40 minute runs a few times a week, and that's about it. You'll already be in marathon shape, fitness-wise. Just need the body/muscles to cooperate.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be running Hilo Run for SPAM at 4:30 am a few hours before a HM race. :smiley: How awesome will that feel!

No, actually, what's awesome is YOU GUYS!!! We've now raised $950 against melanoma!!!

https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/mfpmonthlyrunningchallenge

so I finally got round to registering (don't think I followed the instructions too well).

It looks like I would need to be doing this at 6.30pm that day. It's on the same weekend as a trail running vacation weekend, so I am less in control of my timings, but rest assured it WILL get completed that day, and I will print out the bib, stick a number on it, and tell everyone else at the camp what it's about.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I have a trail half marathon the morning of Oct 14th. My first thought was to say that the first 5K of that race would be in honor of Steve, but no...I'll run a separate 5K for him. If I did my time math correctly, 7:30 AM Hilo time is 11:30 AM central time, so that's when I plan on running it.

@7lenny7 & @Orphia 7:30 am Hawaiian is 12:30 pm Central. Hawaii doesn't observe DST (Nov 5 BTW)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So much for trying to keep up with the September thread! I'm already so far behind. I'll update my miles and try to read/skim through the thread sometime soon.

Today was my 30th birthday. I had the day off work and am going out of town this weekend, so I decided to get my 20 miles in today. I had the perfect excuse to bail since I was diagnosed with a minor upper respiratory infection and costocondritis yesterday, but I was feeling okay after some Tylenol and I actually really wanted to run the 20 miles today, so off I went. I ran the first 10 miles fairly close to my apartment in case things went south, but I was feeling okay. I set out with an overall goal pace of 10:30 min/mile but was okay going slower if I wasn't feeling great. I ended the 20 miles at 3:29:21 (10:28 min/mile) with my fastest mile at mile 19 (9:43). Not a bad birthday run!

I don't know if I've mentioned here yet that I won a contest (along with 19 others) through my local running store for an entry into this year's NYC marathon, courtesy of New Balance. I'm also training for the Columbus Marathon, which is 3 weeks prior. Does anybody have suggestions on how I should approach the time between the two marathons?

9/1: rest
    9/2: 15 miles
    9/3: rest
    9/5: rest
    9/6: 20 miles

TOTAL: 41/185 miles

Happy Birthday!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Here is my suggestion:

Week 1 - recovery runs and rest.
    Week 2 - Repeat the second to last week of your training plan
    Week 3 - Tapper again.

In 3 weeks you might begin to lose some of your edge, so you do want a bit of training in there but you need to be well rested and injury free at the starting line. So need to find a balance. :) Good Luck!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    2.75 miles/27 minutes this morning. Not a blistering pace, but felt good through most of the run which is more important to me right now.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: Rest day
    9/2: 16 miles
    9/3: Rest day (11.5 hours of sleep!)
    9/5: Rest day
    9/6: Rest day again
    9/7: 11 miles of Tempo Thursday

33 of 250 220 goal miles

Doublin' up today! 11 mile tempo run today with my marathon buddy. 1 up, 9 tempo, 1 down. Since neither of us had run in a couple days, we were pretty creaky for the first half of the run, but I felt great the last 2-3 miles. Though looking at the Strava elevation chart, looks like the flat/rolling route I'd planned was a sneaky uphill for almost 2 miles which may explain why around miles 5 & 6 we thought we were going so slooooooow ;)

Group run tonight! Will be taking it nice and easy, then sleeping in tomorrow before hitting the long run(s) this weekend. 18 Saturday and 7-9 on Sunday.

@ariceroni Excellent progression run! That final 7:12 mile is fantastic!! Spot on for the workout! Well done!

Upcoming Races:
    Sept 16: Baker's Revenge 10 mile trail race
    Oct 8: Steamtown Marathon
    Oct 22: Perfect 10 miler
    Nov 5: Princeton Half Marathon (pacer)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9/1- REST
    9/2- Family Time
    9/3- Family Time
    9/4- 6- 384 feet elevation
    9/5- 8- 1598 feet elevation
    9/6- 6.2- 1263 feet elevation
    9/7- 8- Track Thursday

Total Miles: 28.2
    Total Elevation: 3245ft

September goal: Survive 100k training and the beginnings of pre-race freak out
    Nominal Mileage goal: 200 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Today was a "track" day. I backed it off a little and ran 8x800 with 400 recovery and 1 mile warm up and cool down. Overall, I was slower than the last time I ran the workout, but that's because I run the last myle by HR, and it kept popping me out of z1, which was target HR. 800m splits were: 3:32, 3:30, 3:30, 3:33, 3:30, 3:31, 3:31, so pretty even and, on average, a bit faster than the last time I ran this workout. All in all, a good run day.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Man, I can not imagine how much faster I would have to go to BQ. I have to shave nearly an hour of my current PR. I do not see that happening! But if you run Pittsburgh, make sure you say hi before the race. I will be back with the 4 hour pacer. :)

@PastorVincent - You don't have to be all that much faster, you just have to be older. BQ target for a male age 65-69 is 4:10.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I have a trail half marathon the morning of Oct 14th. My first thought was to say that the first 5K of that race would be in honor of Steve, but no...I'll run a separate 5K for him. If I did my time math correctly, 7:30 AM Hilo time is 11:30 AM central time, so that's when I plan on running it.

@7lenny7 & @Orphia 7:30 am Hawaiian is 12:30 pm Central. Hawaii doesn't observe DST (Nov 5 BTW)

Thanks!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MobyCarp Man, I can not imagine how much faster I would have to go to BQ. I have to shave nearly an hour of my current PR. I do not see that happening! But if you run Pittsburgh, make sure you say hi before the race. I will be back with the 4 hour pacer. :)

@PastorVincent - You don't have to be all that much faster, you just have to be older. BQ target for a male age 65-69 is 4:10.

Well I am actively working on that goal I guess! :lol:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - Rest Day.
    9/2 - 8.33 mile group run
    9/3 - 4 miles.
    9/4 - 5.94 mile group track/speed work...ouch
    9/5 - Rest Day. Still ouch.
    9/6 - 4.1 mile group hill repeats. Thought it would help soreness...it did not. As the leader says "You don't have to like it, just like what it does for you."
    9/7 - 4.63 miles.

27/80 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Well I am actively working on that goal I guess! :lol:

That's my goal, shave 10 m minutes off my marathon PR over the next 30 years
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have my 2nd Half Marathon coming up on Sat., and I'm quite nervous. My PR (and only time) for a HM is currently 2:10:07. Fortunately, the weather is supposed to be cool (it is already cooling down for fall here). It is supposed to be 60-70 degrees during the race with a high of only 80 all day on Sat.

Here are some problems I'm encountering that make me nervous:

1. Hypoglycemia - I don't know if there are any other type 1's in this group, and I'm not sure if anyone here understands this... but I did a training run last Sat. of about HM distance (13.18 miles) and was constantly stopping to test BG and was running low. It took the equivalent of 15 glucose tablets to get me through that run and most of it was actually walking. Most of the time, it seems I was staying around 40-50 mg/dl, which is too low... and I was just constantly feeding BG. I was wearing my pack, but don't plan to carry that much on the race course; so I won't have my meter with me. I will be using a CGM, which is what I did at my first HM. In that event, the CGM ended up indicating lower than reality, which prompted me to consume carbs at an aid station and then at the finish line before taking a shuttle bus back to my car. In the short term, I suppose I am better off with high BG; but too high also affects performance for several reasons (including losing electrolytes - see below).

2. Electrolytes - I've been really struggling with this. After that training run last Sat., which was quite slow (but also warmer), I had some pretty bad muscle cramps. They started a few miles before finishing and lasted for the next day, despite taking 3 Nuun tablets before running and another 3 at the end. Other shorter training runs have shown the same signs of low electrolyte levels. I've been trying to take some tablets and add to food this week; and plan to take electrolytes before the race on Sat. I eat low carb, which makes electrolyte depletion a bigger problem in addition to sweat.

3. Ankle sprain - I didn't notice it until Tues., but I think I sprained my left ankle on Mon. while hiking. It isn't terrible, but could be a small problem. During a short run last night, I wore an ankle brace. That helped stabilize it, but also decreased blood flow noticeably. My left foot, leg, and ankle was very worn out even within the first mile just due to the decreased blood flow. Weighing my options, I think I'm going to skip the brace during the race on Sat. in order to provide better circulation, but am concerned about re-injury.