September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    1. Hypoglycemia - I don't know if there are any other type 1's in this group, and I'm not sure if anyone here understands this... but I did a training run last Sat. of about HM distance (13.18 miles) and was constantly stopping to test BG and was running low. It took the equivalent of 15 glucose tablets to get me through that run and most of it was actually walking. Most of the time, it seems I was staying around 40-50 mg/dl, which is too low... and I was just constantly feeding BG. I was wearing my pack, but don't plan to carry that much on the race course; so I won't have my meter with me. I will be using a CGM, which is what I did at my first HM. In that event, the CGM ended up indicating lower than reality, which prompted me to consume carbs at an aid station and then at the finish line before taking a shuttle bus back to my car. In the short term, I suppose I am better off with high BG; but too high also affects performance for several reasons (including losing electrolytes - see below).

I have a meter and test too...not type one (yet) - only in the "pre" stage. Plan to stay there as long as possible. :) But hypoglycemia is a real problem for me. For a long time, I could not stay stable for even an hour or 2. I pretty much have it beat down for now. Here is the thing, while running you need more sugar than your probably comfortable taking. Running is a different beast than sitting at a desk at work, and you need to respond and plan differently.

Glucose tablets are probably not your best friend here. They are really emergency help and are intended to cover you for like 15-20 mins so that you can get proper food. Suggestions:

1) Eat really well the week before. This, IME, makes a big difference.
    2) Find some constant calories you can take in the entire run. Like a Clif blok every 15 mins or something. Experiment and see what works. Do not fear sugar as much as you normally do. You will be burning through it faster than you can take it in.
    3) As close to race start as you can with out GI issues, add fat and protein into your meals. Same with after the race. all natural real Chocolate milk (not yoohoo or other chemical concoction, get the real stuff with real whole milk and no HFCS/CS) is a great post race option.

3. Electrolytes - I've been really struggling with this. After that training run last Sat., which was quite slow (but also warmer), I had some pretty bad muscle cramps. They started a few miles before finishing and lasted for the next day, despite taking 3 Nuun tablets before running and another 3 at the end. Other shorter training runs have shown the same signs of low electrolyte levels. I've been trying to take some tablets and add to food this week; and plan to take electrolytes before the race on Sat. I eat low carb, which makes electrolyte depletion a bigger problem in addition to sweat.

Replace your water with TailWinds. 1 scope of tail winds per 20oz of water per hour of running is a good place to start. This may help with your sugar levels as well. Experiment and see.

3. Ankle sprain - I didn't notice it until Tues., but I think I sprained my left ankle on Mon. while hiking. It isn't terrible, but could be a small problem. During a short run last night, I wore an ankle brace. That helped stabilize it, but also decreased blood flow noticeably. My left foot, leg, and ankle was very worn out even within the first mile just due to the decreased blood flow. Weighing my options, I think I'm going to skip the brace during the race on Sat. in order to provide better circulation, but am concerned about re-injury.

No help here, save to suggest maybe cut the leg off and replace with a spring?

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)
    9/4 = 8.5 miles and a Hatha yoga class
    9/5 = Camp Gladiator class
    9/6 = 6 miles and 45 minutes strength training
    9/7 = 10.5 miles and Camp Gladiator

It was 57 degrees this morning when I set out at 5:30am. It was so fantastic! Buh-bye 100 degree days - don't let the fall door hit you on the way out. :) I know someone posted a "what do you listen to" thread recently. I was jamming to this on my run today. Perfect running music (in my opinion).

I also promised a friend I would go with her to the Camp Gladiator boot camp class at 7pm this evening. Between running long and that class, I am going to be so sore tomorrow....

@Wolfger Great job finishing week5 of C25K!
    @OSUbuckeye906 Happy birthday! :)

(September miles) 47/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon[/quote]
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 13.1 miles! 2h:09m:49s
    9/2 3.1mi 31m:56s
    9/3 rest
    9/4 4.38mi 41m:07s
    9/5 6mi 57m:38s
    9/6 4mi 39m:50s
    9/7 7mi 69m:59s

Not even 2 weeks in and my son is home sick from school. He's my little sicky- seems like he catches everything that goes around. Poor kid. I seem to remember this happening last year too, getting sick after the first week of kindergarten.

So I had to do 7miles on the treadmill! Holy crap! I can't believe I actually did it. Usually I give up after 3 or 4 miles, but today I attempted a tempo run. 2 easy, 3 at race pace plus 20 seconds, then 2 miles easy.

This is very promising for the cold winter months. I can do it.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Slept in this am. Cross-training tomorrow and a 16 miler Saturday.
    Anyone had contact with @KatieJane? She seems to have gone off the radar.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I was featured on Women's Running Community on Instagram today! Click through to read my story. :)

Yay! Congrats!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 6 miles
    9/2 – rest day XC meet
    9/3 – 10 miles
    9/4 - 5 miles
    9/5 - rest day
    9/6 - 7 miles
    9/7 -

28 of 100 miles

I didn't run this morning, I'm running a 5K tonight at Fleet Feet to raise money for Hurricane Harvey. It was an awesome 49F degrees when I took the dog for a walk. I have to say I really do HATE the cold, but it felt so nice out.

@OSUbuckeye906 Happy Birthday. Super long run! Congrats on the NYC entry, nice thing to win. I’ve got nothing in the advice area for you.
    @respectthekitty that is so cool, unfortunately I’m blocked here at work and can’t see it

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! @RespectTheKitty I saw you this morning on Instagram and didn't even recognize you! LOL I feel like a dummy now.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September

9/1 REST DAY
    9/2 12 miles - 12
    9/3 REST DAY
    9/4 LABOR DAY LAZINESS
    9/5 8 miles - 20
    9/6 4 miles - 24
    9/7 10 miles - 34

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was featured on Women's Running Community on Instagram today! Click through to read my story. :)

@RespectTheKitty so cool, I loved the write up/article! And congratulations on running 13.1 miles, what a huge accomplishment! :heart:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@Stoshew71 you know I have to mention that I have more miles than you, because never in the years I’ve know you has that ever happened until the 1st of the month was your rest day  Now you may go forth and kick my *kitten*

Slow start this week. :-)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A quick 4 miles last night with Kody. He hasn't run with much over the summer. Partly because I havent' run much, and partly because I don't take him running when it's over 70 because of his thick fur. He LOVED getting out last night!

I didn't see any Northern Lights, but then I have the metropolis of Minneapolis to my north, blocking out all but the brightest aurora borealis.

I'm tempted to drive down to our boat tomorrow night to see if I can see the Lights.

ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 & @Orphia 7:30 am Hawaiian is 12:30 pm Central. Hawaii doesn't observe DST (Nov 5 BTW)

Good catch, @ctlaws44 .

@OSUbuckeye906 I agree with @PastorVincent and his suggestion for the between race training with one caveat. If after the first week you feel your need a bit more recovery don't be afraid to take it. Your primary objective is to get to the start line healthy. Secondary objective is to optimize your fitness. If the first race takes a toll on your body, take care of it. You won't know until that point so @PastorVincent's plan is a good baseline.

@RespectTheKitty awesome!!! Very cool!

@ariceroni congrats on the stellar run!!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @OSUbuckeye906 I agree with @PastorVincent and his suggestion for the between race training with one caveat. If after the first week you feel your need a bit more recovery don't be afraid to take it. Your primary objective is to get to the start line healthy. Secondary objective is to optimize your fitness. If the first race takes a toll on your body, take care of it. You won't know until that point so @PastorVincent's plan is a good baseline.

Good call out! :smile:
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

9/3: 6.1k -Very easy-
    9/5: 15.4k -Long run-
    9/6: 12.2k -Easy-
    9/7: 14.4k -w/u, 3x1.6k T, 6x200m R, c/d-

Goal: 48.2k/170k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    2---6.21
    4---6.21
    5---3.47
    7---3.21 lunch run. May or may not run after work.. last few runs I've gotten more running done and less walking. But I've had this odd pain in my stomach. Almost more like a muscle cramp, but it feels like I might barf if I keep at it. insight?

19.10/89 miles
    30.8/144 kilometers

Upcoming races:

Sept 30 Festival 5k Tishomingo Ok.
    Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Oct 14 AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run.
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 34.27 10k 1:12.35

So I feel like I'm getting tendonitis in my right foot. I considered new shoes with 258 miles on these shoes. So I had a look at the soles. I think I see the problem. Now, what can I do about it? I suppose the first step is to have someone video me or go for that gait analysis. Any thoughts?

rpflbtvpcks1.jpg

Oh ETA I see no difference in the heel wear.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    1. Hypoglycemia - I don't know if there are any other type 1's in this group, and I'm not sure if anyone here understands this... but I did a training run last Sat. of about HM distance (13.18 miles) and was constantly stopping to test BG and was running low. It took the equivalent of 15 glucose tablets to get me through that run and most of it was actually walking. Most of the time, it seems I was staying around 40-50 mg/dl, which is too low... and I was just constantly feeding BG. I was wearing my pack, but don't plan to carry that much on the race course; so I won't have my meter with me. I will be using a CGM, which is what I did at my first HM. In that event, the CGM ended up indicating lower than reality, which prompted me to consume carbs at an aid station and then at the finish line before taking a shuttle bus back to my car. In the short term, I suppose I am better off with high BG; but too high also affects performance for several reasons (including losing electrolytes - see below).

I have a meter and test too...not type one (yet) - only in the "pre" stage. Plan to stay there as long as possible. :) But hypoglycemia is a real problem for me. For a long time, I could not stay stable for even an hour or 2. I pretty much have it beat down for now. Here is the thing, while running you need more sugar than your probably comfortable taking. Running is a different beast than sitting at a desk at work, and you need to respond and plan differently.

Glucose tablets are probably not your best friend here. They are really emergency help and are intended to cover you for like 15-20 mins so that you can get proper food. Suggestions:

2) Find some constant calories you can take in the entire run. Like a Clif blok every 15 mins or something. Experiment and see what works. Do not fear sugar as much as you normally do. You will be burning through it faster than you can take it in.
    3) As close to race start as you can with out GI issues, add fat and protein into your meals. Same with after the race. all natural real Chocolate milk (not yoohoo or other chemical concoction, get the real stuff with real whole milk and no HFCS/CS) is a great post race option.

3. Electrolytes - I've been really struggling with this. After that training run last Sat., which was quite slow (but also warmer), I had some pretty bad muscle cramps. They started a few miles before finishing and lasted for the next day, despite taking 3 Nuun tablets before running and another 3 at the end. Other shorter training runs have shown the same signs of low electrolyte levels. I've been trying to take some tablets and add to food this week; and plan to take electrolytes before the race on Sat. I eat low carb, which makes electrolyte depletion a bigger problem in addition to sweat.

Replace your water with TailWinds. 1 scope of tail winds per 20oz of water per hour of running is a good place to start. This may help with your sugar levels as well. Experiment and see.

3. Ankle sprain - I didn't notice it until Tues., but I think I sprained my left ankle on Mon. while hiking. It isn't terrible, but could be a small problem. During a short run last night, I wore an ankle brace. That helped stabilize it, but also decreased blood flow noticeably. My left foot, leg, and ankle was very worn out even within the first mile just due to the decreased blood flow. Weighing my options, I think I'm going to skip the brace during the race on Sat. in order to provide better circulation, but am concerned about re-injury.

Thank you for responding.

I want to clarify something: Type 1 is an auto-immune disease where our pancreas no longer makes insulin because our immune system decided to kill off pancreatic beta cells (aka islets of langerhans). Type 2 diabetes is a resistance to insulin (i.e. inefficient use of insulin). Pre-diabetes is a resistance to insulin, but such a small amount that it isn't fully classified as type 2.

A person cannot go from pre-diabetes to type 1; nor from type 2 to type 1. Type 1 and Type 2 (including pre-diabetes) have entirely different pathways to the disease. Sometimes type 2 patients make the mistake of believing that the treatment method determines which disease they have. Specifically, some believe that they convert from type 2 to type 1 when they start taking insulin. That is false - the need for supplemental insulin does not make a type 2 into a type 1. It just means that the insulin resistance is so significant that they need more insulin than their body can produce.

FYI, there are also "double diabetics" (not an official medical diagnosis). I was a double diabetic for many years. Double diabetics are type 1 AND type 2. Not only do they make no insulin (type 1), but they are resistant to insulin (type 2). Type 1's will always take insulin (because we make none) or face death within a very short time (probably 2-3 days, depending upon various factors). A double diabetic takes significantly more insulin than a typical type 1 because of having type 2. During that time, I was taking nearly 10 times as much insulin as I take today. That's because I was over-fat. As I lost the excess fat, my insulin resistance went away. I don't recall the exact level of insulin resistance required for a physician to make that diagnosis (measured in units/day/kg of insulin required for basal rates), but I do know my endocrinologist now has removed that diagnosis code from paperwork.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Thank you for responding.

I want to clarify something: Type 1 is an auto-immune disease where our pancreas no longer makes insulin because our immune system decided to kill off pancreatic beta cells (aka islets of langerhans). Type 2 diabetes is a resistance to insulin (i.e. inefficient use of insulin). Pre-diabetes is a resistance to insulin, but such a small amount that it isn't fully classified as type 2.

A person cannot go from pre-diabetes to type 1; nor from type 2 to type 1. Type 1 and Type 2 (including pre-diabetes) have entirely different pathways to the disease. Sometimes type 2 patients make the mistake of believing that the treatment method determines which disease they have. Specifically, some believe that they convert from type 2 to type 1 when they start taking insulin. That is false - the need for supplemental insulin does not make a type 2 into a type 1. It just means that the insulin resistance is so significant that they need more insulin than their body can produce.

FYI, there are also "double diabetics" (not an official medical diagnosis). I was a double diabetic for many years. Double diabetics are type 1 AND type 2. Not only do they make no insulin (type 1), but they are resistant to insulin (type 2). Type 1's will always take insulin (because we make none) or face death within a very short time (probably 2-3 days, depending upon various factors). A double diabetic takes significantly more insulin than a typical type 1 because of having type 2. During that time, I was taking nearly 10 times as much insulin as I take today. That's because I was over-fat. As I lost the excess fat, my insulin resistance went away. I don't recall the exact level of insulin resistance required for a physician to make that diagnosis (measured in units/day/kg of insulin required for basal rates), but I do know my endocrinologist now has removed that diagnosis code from paperwork.

Sorry, I always mix up T1 and T2 mentally. My problem is that my pancreas is in way over production and produces it way too late in the digestive cycle (over simplification but give idea) , so it is believed at some point it will stop producing. So in my case, I could move to T1 but will not likely move to T2. I am doing what I can to NOT make that move of course :)