September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent if I wouldn't have skipped my run today, I'd be ahead of you...LOL... With a scheduled rest day tomorrow, I'll have to start working it on Tuesday.

Perhaps! But @_Nikkiwolf_ is still crushing us when you add total miles into the comparison. I am starting to think she is scaling vertical walls during her runs. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    I circled a marathon date on the calendar finally and plan on sending off my registration this week sometime. Looking at April 7th, 2018, which puts my 18 week training planned to start the first week in December. That gives me the about 8 weeks to get to miles to 55 a week, then 4 weeks of maintaining and adding in a bit more speed work and feeling comfortable with it. I've never run that much in the dead of winter and will have a couple of 70 mile weeks in the coldest part of Jan & Feb. Probably going to need to invest in some more cold gear.

Either that or you could try and keep your sanity while doing 70 miles a week on a treadmill. It certainly is not for the weak of heart! :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent if I wouldn't have skipped my run today, I'd be ahead of you...LOL... With a scheduled rest day tomorrow, I'll have to start working it on Tuesday.

Perhaps! But @_Nikkiwolf_ is still crushing us when you add total miles into the comparison. I am starting to think she is scaling vertical walls during her runs. :)

Lol. Yeah. She has real mountains near her. I only have some ski hills. Nothing in comparison to her. You're getting some great elevation foe a road runner. My puny 700 yesterday annoys me. For a 20 mile run, I would have gotten closer to 3k on trail.... ugh... roads
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Lol. Yeah. She has real mountains near her. I only have some ski hills. Nothing in comparison to her. You're getting some great elevation foe a road runner. My puny 700 yesterday annoys me. For a 20 mile run, I would have gotten closer to 3k on trail.... ugh... roads

I cut a bunch of hills out of my run today cause I wanted to be home in time for dinner. I could have easily had a 5,000 foot week. Taking a rest day tomorrow too, and probably only short run on Tuesday due to schedual conflicts.

I am thinking of trying to start a local run club this spring so I need to figure out some routes around here that are not so brutal for flat landers.

But I still wish I had some real trails to run with in running distance. Might have to make that a condition for our next move. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I cut a bunch of hills out of my run today cause I wanted to be home in time for dinner. I could have easily had a 5,000 foot week. Taking a rest day tomorrow too, and probably only short run on Tuesday due to schedual conflicts.

I am thinking of trying to start a local run club this spring so I need to figure out some routes around here that are not so brutal for flat landers.

But I still wish I had some real trails to run with in running distance. Might have to make that a condition for our next move. :smile:
    That's an awesome idea. If I ever move It will have to be to the mountains I think.

I've been trying to do all my long runs with elevation, but the opportunity to run with other folks won out yesterday, it should have been a 3k-4k foot day. Oh well.

Feeling good. My October race is going to be more about mental than physical at this point. Physically I could probably do it now. Working on the mental half of keeping moving for 15-18 hours.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

September goal....I'll know it when I see it.

9/1 rest
    9/2 4mile hike through Kilauea Iki, then 3.2 run on treadmill
    9/3 4.35
    9/4 4.00
    9/5 rest
    9/6 5.62
    9/7 4.10
    9/8 4.30
    9/9 rest
    9/10 3.12: Hilo Bay 5k: lovely day for a run; misty, cool, cloudy, nice breeze off the ocean. VERY poor turnout though, with only about 50 people (usually this event draws 150-200). Happy with my (unofficial) time of 33.58, but no posted results yet. I know I was second in my age group! (um....of 2.....)

Total: 32.69

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @ariceroni What an adorable kitten. I have a tendency to bring home strays as well. This is why I now have 3 dogs and a husband .
    @ariceroni I read this as - well you get the picture, and did have a good LOL.
    .... one day I'll get to be in the same race as you and get some of your coolness..... CDR 2019
    @MNLittleFinn So that means I have to start working on 2019 schedule/training - there's no way I could let a fellow MFP athlete come North of the Border into our little corner of the world and not make the trip to GC for the meet and greet at CDR, it's only about a 4 - 4.5 hr drive for me. Of course I have yet to be at an event with @JessicaMcB , and I agree with everyone she is a Beast ( :) the good kind :) ) - training to 100% event distance. I do that for everything up to HM's, after that its a crap shoot. Although I would only see her shirt disappearing for about 10 seconds at the start.

@hanlonsk Those 1 mile loops would be torture, 400m repeats on a track are bad enough. I have a Winter HM where you run past the Start/Finish 3 times before you get to actually finish, that Third time is pure torture, you just want to turn in and call it a day. And on that note one of the Speedsters ( BQ ) in our little club is pushing out a 5 km PB Training session 3 days a week at the local High School Track. Repeats, repeats and repeats.

@katharmonic I agree that you have to go to the Boston finish line and if you can find the Cheers pub B) And I see that you made it to the Yellow & Blue Paint!!!!!

@PastorVincent I tend to be a #2 for the first 2 km while everything loosens up and gets tuned up then step up to #1. I did a 10km Trail race today and a lady caught up to me after the finish line and stroked my ego by saying I was a great pacer and she just tried to keep me in sight/in touch with my shoes is how she put it/ and I dragged her to a 8 min PB so she was :D:o:p . Looking at my Garmin Data it was pretty solid / consistent pace.
    q0i446klkrq7.png

At the start of the race my Garmin had a mini crash so I did the Flying re-start. Somehow I put it in Treadmill Mode which meant that the data it was displaying was strange, but I figured it was in Bike Mode and I would just change it when I downloaded it. Unfortunately in TM it didn't record the GPS Data for the course and I haven't found the data for any of the other athlete's. :s .

Will do a Race Report tomorrow.
    Don't Get Lost in the Woods at a Cross Country ski Facility - 10 km of Rolling Sand hills beside the Wapiti River valley, some were hard packed others were just all loose and a real struggle to climb. In the bottom between hills there were quite a few swampy areas, some had single track detours, others you just picked what you thought was the best line and went for it. 57:49 = 5:46/km avg. The Strava data is different. One of the normal mysteries.

09/02 6.5 km – 143.5 km - 006.5 km – YTD 1001.07 km
    09/03 6.5 km – 137.0 km - 013.0 km – YTD 1007.57 km
    09/05 11.0 km – 126.0 km - 024.0 km – YTD 1018.57 km
    09/06 8.0 km – 118.0 km - 032.0 km – YTD 1026.57 km
    09/10 10.0 km – 108.0 km - 042.0 km – YTD 1036.57 km Don't Get Lost in the Woods Race

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB Is your ultra 80 km? And you did a 70 in training! Wow.

@Orphia yes Whistler is only 50 miles/80k, next year is when I'll be hitting hard at 100k/120k distances and *potentially* will start work on building to a 100 miler. I am in the minority in that I train to 100% of race distance. It works well for me and I have a fair amount of runner friends who only train to 65%-70% of race distance and have a tendency to flame out and DNF which I would like to avoid (because you know, live Churchill and never surrender lol). So 80k next Saturday it is :D

@JessicaMcB I love it. I ran 4 half marathons before my first HM event. But this is in a league far above!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ So sorry about your fall and subsequent knee injury! Glad it's OK to run on at this stage.

@cburke8909 I may have missed you explaining, but are you going to carb-load and fuel with carbs for your marathon? I've been reading a lot about how LCHF impedes race performance.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    7.1 at 8:40 pace tempo run.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @juliet3455 people that can pace baffle me. I doubt I could hold a consistent for more than a single stride. :smile:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    September Goal - 180 Miles

9/1/17 - 4.07 Easy
    9/3/17 - 8.43 Easy - 38.44 Week
    9/4/17 - 6.60 Tempo
    9/5/17 - 7.07 Easy
    9/6/17 - 7.05 Easy
    9/7/17 - 5.03 Easy
    9/8/17 - 7.08 Easy
    9/10/17 12.03 Easy - 44.87 Weeks
    9/11/17 - 4.12 - recovery
    Total 61.48 of 180 Miles

Easy recovery today. I had a 21k step Sat without a single second of running, then almost 26k yesterday so the legs were a bit heavy this morning at 4:15 am. The easy effort showed with HR of only 125, which is 20 bpm slower than the top of z2 / start of z3. With the added miles I'm noticing I'm a bit more tired at night so early morning runs are kinda sucking.

@PastorVincent - I'm not typically a treadmill runner. I'll do some interval stuff from time to time but i generally opt for the indoor track when running inside. During winters in the past I've done the majority of my running on one here locally that is a 6 lap/mile track. I'd bet I've done upwards of 35-40 miles a week indoors with at least once running a 19 mile long run. Running outside in the dead of winter in Kansas sucks. We might not have the bitter cold temps of some up North, but 10-20 degree mornings with a 30MPH North wind is absolutely brutal. We rarely have school called off for snow, but at least 2-3 times a year they'll call it off based on the wind chill getting down to -15 to as bad as -30 a couple time a few years ago. I don't ever recall getting a day off school for that weather but nowadays it's not uncommon.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I'm not typically a treadmill runner. I'll do some interval stuff from time to time but i generally opt for the indoor track when running inside. During winters in the past I've done the majority of my running on one here locally that is a 6 lap/mile track. I'd bet I've done upwards of 35-40 miles a week indoors with at least once running a 19 mile long run. Running outside in the dead of winter in Kansas sucks. We might not have the bitter cold temps of some up North, but 10-20 degree mornings with a 30MPH North wind is absolutely brutal. We rarely have school called off for snow, but at least 2-3 times a year they'll call it off based on the wind chill getting down to -15 to as bad as -30 a couple time a few years ago. I don't ever recall getting a day off school for that weather but nowadays it's not uncommon.

I do all I can to avoid the dreadmill, but our indoor track is something like 18 laps to a mile. You essentially running in a tight circle with no straight aways. When it is too cold to run out side (I am in Pittsburgh), I try to make myself do an hour on the dreadmill so that I get something in. I usually set the incline to 5% so I can pretend I did an hour of hill work.

My Marathon is first Sunday in May so I pretty much the same winter training problem as you do.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

@MNLittleFinn @PastorVincent I like mountains, but last week was a bit extreme. Imagine if I hadn't hurt my knee last week - the run the others from my group did on Friday had more than 2000m (6500 feet) of elevation, on top of what we did on Monday and Tuesday B)
    On my own, I usually don't run the really steep trails like that; I prefer slopes that are gentle enough that I can keep running for an hour or two. The mountain trails we did last week had me walking a fair amount of the time. It was the first time I used trekking poles, but they didn't really help that much.
    And if you want to see some really nice elevation-per-mile routes: one of the girls from my group didn't join when we went Canyoning on Wednesday, she ran this trail instead. The nice thing is you don't have to run downhill in the end, you can take the cable car. But still!